How can we beat the Pats?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'm going to try and do a thread like this for each game this year. We don't have nearly enough technical discussions around here, and we have a lot of guys that post here that know football real well. My hope is to drag them into these threads so they can teach us dummies more about the technical aspects of the game.

So, Week 1 brins us the hated and extremely talented New England Patriots. Given the offenses crappy preseason performance, and the talent level of the Patriots, this appears a cakewalk for the Pats. But one thing our Jets do have is great coaching. So what can they do to beat the Pats?

The Pats should start the game by rushing 4, but with Seymour out, they may bring an extra man. They have to be thinking that pressure on Pennington will be easy to get with this OL. IMO, the best way to beat pressure is draws, screens, and quick slants, all running out of a no-huddle. If they Pats can get enough pressure with just 4, then the Jets will lose this game. If the offense can get the ball out quickly enough and beat that pressure, we stand a chance.

Defensively, I honestly don't know. The Jets will have to be aggressive and blitz, as we don't have the talent to rush 4 and get enough pressure. That puts the Jets in a man coverage situation, and with the Pats new stable of receivers, that is risky. But I see no other alternative.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the experts, though, as I just don't know enough. So let's hear it! How can we win this game?

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

There is no way to win this game by sheer butting heads, winning on the line, and slowly grinding out yards and moving the chains.

The only way to win is with big, risky plays. Trick plays. Tons of motion. Random looking defense. I think it definitely can be done - the Jets came damn close in the playoffs last year.

3. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

We win, if the ground game produces 150 yards. CP cannot win this game passing, the Pats front 7 will eat him alive. Old school ball control with the ground game is the only way I see a Jets win, unless of course we knock out Brady :hackett:

4. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

As usual, we will not be able to run against the Pats. So we will have to win it through the air.

Chad needs to light this team up in order for us to win.

5. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Our line seems to be a good run blocking line.... I think we need to throw the ball over the top a couple times early. Complete or incomplete, it doesn't matter. We need to get the 8th man out of the box.

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think , the only way we win is through the "D" if we cant stop the run , we dont have a chance. This will require some creative scheming as we all know straight up we will get pushed around.

I also think we will need a D score or a couple of TO's giving us a short field.
    I think we score between 17 and 24.

7. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

seymour was put on the PUP list meaning he'll miss the first 6 games of the season. certainly that helps us.

8. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Barlow ran for 75 in the game we won (an accomplishment for him) and we ran for 117 in that game. In the other game, we didn't run for a lot,but we were down 24-0!

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yep, keep em honest.
    I have no doubt that the Pats will just try and get to CP in at least the first 2 series regardless of how we play. After that its going to be different schemes and a 'keep em guessing' type of game.

I've just watched the Philly game again (for what its worth) and think that alot of different personnel are going to be used. CJ Mosley really impressed and we need that kind of O line breach.
    Send Kerry Rhodes on a couple of Blitzes , it make knock Bradys' concentration.

We are going to need a slice of luck , aren't we due some breaks?

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

With a new WR corps, I would take my chances on them not having built enough chemistry yet to know what adjustments to make in the face of pressure, so I would come hard every play. Not up the gut, but from the side. Play a lot of single deep, maybe have some late doubling on WRs, take some chances on the back end.

Offensively, I would again focus on teh ground game. You certainly don't want to give them too many opportunities to put the ball in the air. I would NOT do our typical 3-yard slants and dumps to the RB in the flat, but I would do a lot of crossing routes and make their LBs run because frankly, they are old. I'd also put a lot of pressure on the safety with a lot of high low options and pass out of two-TE sets.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Pats are going to be short on the DL and they have a weak secondary in defending the pass. The Jets have to go down the field all day long. They have to go right at them on the first possesion, they can't feel them out like a boxer waiting to be hit with a haymaker. Last year the Pats beat the crap out of us at home. The game was a complete embarrasment. The fact that we put two TD's on them after the game was over didn't change that. We can't wait until the second half down a couple of TD's to start throwing down field.

12. KleckoNamathToon

Pressure the QB. Be effective enough on the ground to make the play action work. Throw long at least 2-5 times.

13. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

You tell'em Winston.. You forgot to mention that "as a whole" the team is declining.. :smile:

14. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

get to brady....often. as always,the only way.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Two ways to beat the Pats:

Knock Brady out somehow. Blitzing all day will be effective early and then the Pats will eat the secondary alive as soon as they adjust. A couple of overload blitzes early on will give the Jets the best chance to knock Brady out.

Pass 40 times, using an active passing game to set up the run.

I'm not all that hopeful but I'm hoping the game is entertaining.

16. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

On offense the biggest ? is the O_line. Even with Seymour out the Jets will have their hands full with stunts and blitzes. I think BB will try to get pressure over the left side. Brick and Bender are more vulnerable than the right side right now. I think the Jets should run early and try to get Bender feel comfortable. He's already the 2nd best run blocker on the team. Use his ablilty to cover his weakness in the pass protection.

To protect Chad we will have to keep an TE in often. So we should use 2TEs sets so Chad can roll in either direction and to cover who will stay to block and who will go on a route

I also think that we have to get the Ball in the Hands of our Playmakers via Screens and short routes. Our Wrs and Rbs should get the ball in the open field,and let's see what they can do. Without Harrison and without practice for Samuels we should try to make their Secondary proof how good they are.

The Times Square Defense will be our best shot. Try to confuise their O_line and see if you can get pressure. With our d-Line we will have to send at least on additional player to pressure Brady. Hit him often and early and make sure he never feels comfortable in the pocket.

17. sourceworx

sourceworx New Member

If we can effectively run the ball and keep it away from Brady as much as possible, we can win.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Football comes down to blocking, tackling, and sometimes turnovers.
    Block better.
    Tackle better.
    Win the turnover battle.

The Jets can win the game many different ways- spread the field horizontally or spread it vertically, have a run/pass ratio of 50/50 or 60/40, blitz often or blitz rarely, no huddle at times, trick plays or no trick plays, knock Brady out or not knock him out, etc.
    No, it's about blocking and tackling better than the Patriots. It always comes down to that unless there is a significant turnover issue. (See Texans at Steelers 2002, Steelers at Raiders 2006, and Jaguars at Titans 2006 as three recent examples of teams being dominated from scrimmage and still winning.)

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The thing that really stood out about the Jets miserable performance in the preseason is that for the most part they were playing sideline to sideline rather than vertically when Chad was on the field. When Clemens came on the field, he would go vertical rather than horizontal, and you clearly saw the difference in play.

The Jets need to take shots downfield... not just against the Pats, but everyone. And to add to Cakes' point... if the Jets o-line does not block for Chad, then Chad won't be able to throw downfield. Chad has the ability to hit whoever is open... his vision and accuracy are both superb. However if he is constantly running for his life, then those two attributes will do him no good. May as well have Brooks Bollinger in there.

The Jets need to get back to their bread and butter when Chad is in the game, which is the play action pass. Chad disguises it as well as, if not better than any QB in the game. With Thomas Jones in the backfield (and I'm hoping we see some dual sets, ala the Saints McAllister/Bush), play action should be fairly easy to pull off.

I anticipate the Patriots will do the same thing the Vikings did, and that is to constantly run blitz. They will give us 3-4 yards running right up the middle because their inside linebackers and NT are stout enough to effectively stop the run without much help, so chances are you will see them sending the house on the corners... particularly on the blind side so they can go after Pennington whenever they run the play action. If this is actually what the Patriots do, the Jets may do well to run 2 TE sets and skip the second running back.

Coles and Cotchery are both good enough to beat any of the Patriots corners. It will be their responsiblity to get seperation quickly so Chad can hit them on post and slant patterns. If they attempt to run those stupid sideways WR screen passes that they've had a tendency to do, then we are likely going to see a Pats cornerback or linebacker taking it to the house.

Also, if we're running two TE sets, Baker and Ryan are both good enough receivers that they may be able to bump and run and get open over the middle quickly. If they are both on the field they could scheme to keep one in and have one go out which will make it difficult for the Pats to key in on one of them in particular.

Bottom line is protection... if we get it, we have a chance.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Seymour is out? Well I would be a lot more confident if Belichick threw Warren, Thomas and Wilfork on the Pup list too. Their D-line is still going to get its pressures and cause enough disruption.

Their secondary is going to be in more upheaval than the line, alot more. For the Jets to win they have to somehow get to the second level with plays. That means getting L. Washington into space, Cotchery/Coles to get something going. If they can get past the pressure of the 3 I listed above, the Jets will score points.

The defense can use the bend but don't break against the Pats running game but it must not let Brady throw at will. The Jets strength this year is going to be its back 8. If the back 8 can limit the big play, which will be difficult because the front 3 are lacking than the Jets can keep it close and maybe eeck out a win. That is a lot of ifs and buts.

If they can get past the front 3-4 of the Pats and have a big game from the Jets front 3 (which is imperative) than I think they have a fighting chance. However, missing Seymour while being good for the Jets is not going to make the game substantially easier.