How about this?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, Mar 25, 2018.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

People are freaking out about the possibility of the Jets choosing between the # 3 QB and Barkley (and making what they consider to be the wrong choice). This assumes that the Browns and Giants each take a QB before our pick.

What if the popular opinion is backwards?

Lets say that Barkley and Chubb are the first two players off the board.

Do the Jets trade down to get some ammo back?

Who do the Jets pick?

If Cleveland does not take a QB in the top ten, where do the top four QBs go?

2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Nah, we are staying no matter what. Prepare your anus for a Josh (not a bad thing!)

Poeman likes this.
  3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

No way. Stay where you are, then we could pick our top rated QB.

Big Cat likes this.
  4. James Hasty

Darnold?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think Macc will gamble like this, but if Barkely was there at #3, would he take him, and then offer him to Cleveland in return for the #4 pick and a couple more picks, say a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th? Of course the Browns could say "no" and then we'd be "stuck" with Barkley, and that might be a problem.

This isn't an approach I'm advocating, but it occurred to me as a possibility.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Chubb/Barkley going 1/2 is a dream for the Jets. No way you move back. Get the top QB and thank the football gods for favoring the Jets that day.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If he's the Jets top guy, yes.

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

First, There's is no possible way that Cleveland will take the gamble on getting 'their guy' with the 4th pick. They want Darnold. If they don't pick him, the Giants or Jets will, imo of course, but I would wager some thing on them taking a QB with the 1st pick.

If Darnold is sitting at #3, Jets would be clueless to pass him up. If the Jets were to have all the QB's available to them at #3, and they trade down, they would be the laughing stock of the NFL, period amen.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. James Hasty

Read the original post. In this scenario, Cleveland is not taking any QB in the top 10.

10. BomberJet

Understood, that's why I don't think they take the risk of not taking one with the 1st pick. IMO, the chances of that happening are probably very remote because the player they sought, Darnold, may be gone by the time Jets are on the clock. Rosen has stated he won't play in Cleveland - that leaves Allen and Mayfield at 4. And if Buffalo or another team trades up at 2, who knows what Cleveland will have a 4. It's a huge gamble.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If Cleveland has 3 QBs rated just about even, they very likely may take Barkley with the 1st pick. Only one RB is going top 10 but if you listen to many, there may be 3-4 QBs going top 10. To get the top RB and top QB (if they have them ranked evenly) then it would make sense for them to take Barkley 1st.

Rosen never said what you think he did. He said, "rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team.", some tried to say that was him saying he wouldn't play for Cleveland so he clarified before the combine, ‘I’ve never said anything about not wanting to play in Cleveland. I don’t know where that came from. There's absolutely no foundation in reality in that (report).’

FJF and Leicester Jet like this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That is what I will be rooting for, and it's not completely out of the question. It would also make Macc look like a genius for trading to the 3 instead of giving up the farm for the 1. I still don't buy that the Giants will take a QB, but there's always the threat of trading.

xxedge72x likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we send champagne to the browns and giants and take darnold

FJF likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cool thread but if Barkley and Chubb are the first two off, that means we live in an alternate universe and the Jets will take a fullback.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

If this happens somehow which seems impossible you jump all over Darnold. I just hope we are lucky enough that one of the top 2 are not QBs. Darnold is the guy, Allen is plan B.

16. James Hasty

17. Sam Hammer

Don't be silly. The Jets will take a punter. You give them too much credit.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. BomberJet

Possibly, but every time I think about the chances of drafting a running back #1 overall and paying that position top dollar with the least amount of length in service, for a typical RB, it's tough to fathom.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I Chubb isn’t being drafted by the Giants.. they are running a 3-4 and he’s a 4-3 DE that doesn’t play OLB.

20. Sam Hammer

Just curious, where did you hear this? The few people that I've talked to seem to think he would have no problem playing OLB in a 3-4.

James Hasty likes this.