HOF class of 2016

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BacktoQueens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame class of 2016 down to 15 finalists, and 2 senior nominees.

3 first time finalists: Brett Favre, Alan Faneca, Terrell Owens

12 other finalists: Morten Andersen, Steve Atwater, Don Coryell, Terrell Davis, Tony Dungy, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Joe Jacoby, Edgerrin James, John Lynch, Orlando Pace and Kurt Warner

2 senior nominees: Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel (where the heck is Klecko! still getting snubbed)

http://www.profootballhof.com/class-of-2016-finalists/

my short list would include Favre, Coryell, Jacoby, Warner, Atwater, Greene, and Morten Andersen

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Edgerrin James? Really NFL?

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Three ex-Jets getting in the Hall! Sweet, Ring of Honor next!!

_

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

In 1999, the last time the Bills qualified for the playoffs, Edgerrin James won NFL offensive rookie of the year. He has not played a down in the NFL this decade and is now a Finalist for the Pro Football HOF.

6. BrowningNagle

I understand your argument and I'm not saying I disagree with you but at least TD was a completely slam dunk dominant player for a stretch of time (small). Edgerrin James was never dominant ever.

7. BrowningNagle

I'd put Pace in, he deserves it

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

James was consistent though and his career was far longer than Davis'.

Look at the people around James (who ranks 11th) in terms of career rushing yards -- just ahead of him Dorsett, Jim Brown, and Faulk. Just behind him -- Marcus Allen, Franco Harris and Thurman Thomas. All of the aforementioned players are HoFers.

In terms of rushing yards/game, James is ranked 12th all time at 82.7 in the company of Curtis Martin, OJ, Earl Campbell and Emmitt Smith.

I'm not saying James should get in this year, but the dude has a strong case.

FJF likes this.
  9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Farve (slam dunk) Pace and Warner should go in together, Atwater, Jacoby, Dungy (more on this) Air Coryell

I believe Dungy will get in despite the fact that I think he is overrated as a coach. He's a good coach but IMO he's not Chuck Knoll, Bill Parcells, Tom Landry, John Madden good.

BTW I had to look up who Dick Stanfel is and he is not a HOF player. He might be but based on what I read he's Hall of Good (maybe not even very good) but he only played 7 seasons and made 5 Pro Bowls. In my biased opinion Winston Hill is clearly a better OL than him.

10. BacktoQueens

if Dungy gets in over Coryell, it's a total farce.

i really like Pace, but figure Joe Jacoby has been waiting longer.
    both should get in, maybe even this year.

i'm still baffled how someone like Stanfel is nominated over Klecko.
    the HOF does not focus enough on defense (look at how few nominees there are on D yet again), and WAAAAAAY too much on whether a guy has won a super bowl or not.
    if anything, i give more credit to guys who consistently produce, demonstrate versatility, or innovate, regardless of the talent around them.
    even better if they succeed on multiple teams..

11. BacktoQueens

Vote is tonight..
    Predictions:

Favre, Coryell, Warner, Pace, Greene and Stabler

would be a good class, but i'm predicting almost all offense again (3 QBs!).
    hope they start showing more love to defensive players at some point.

12. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

... and the farce it now official.

Coryell being passed over is a disgrace. he changed the face of the game.

Tony Dungy has played his Rev Dungy / Mr. Nice guy role right into the HOF. One SuperBowl after great teams in both Tampa bay and Indy is a joke.

How Joe Klecko is being ignored and why is a mystery to me.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

How is TO not first ballot? Okay NFL, get off the drugs.

Organized Chaos and TNJet like this.
  14. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

They don't like him. If it goes on for a few years then theyre fucking morons but it doesn't surprise me that for one year they'd give him the finger and deny him first-ballot status.

Dungy over Coryell though? Absolute joke.

Organized Chaos and TNJet like this.
  15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I guess people don't like receivers who have admitted to dropping passes on purpose to screw over QBs.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that if you let TD in you can really open the flood gates to players like Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Chris Johnson, Shaun Alexander, etc. to have a case. In essence you can say Davis was much more dominant but all of those players had comparable seasons in terms of rushing yards.

TD over 2 years: 3,758 yards, 36 touchdowns, 504 receiving yards, 2 receiving touchdowns

Larry Johnson: 3,539 yards, 37 touchdowns, 753 receiving yards, 3 receiving touchdowns

Davis obviously has the huge edge in two playoff runs and the production there but I feel like the NFL doesn't look at that all too much for runningbacks.

I understand I'm grasping a little obviously with some of those names but the numbers for a couple year stretch are similar.

Priest Holmes was a 3x 1st team All-Pro. Shaun Alexander has an MVP, 1st team All-Pro and lead a team to the Super Bowl. They both set the NFL touchdown mark at the time.

What about Tiki (<---as much as I dislike him) and even Ricky Williams?

TD didn't get in but the NFL better tread carefully or a ton of NFL rushers are going to have a case and it's going to get real muddy for the voters.

#16 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Although I agree with your general premise, you are assuming that there's some sort of structure or logic behind the HOF voting instead of just a bunch of peacocks fluffing their own perceived intellectual feathers.

I'd rather see the HOF turd voters choose Pro Bowl players and have a select committee decide the HOF.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

So, Marvin Harrison couldn't make it to the show because it would be a parole violation? Weakest HOF class ever.... Kevin Greene? Steroids much? I agree with OP, Klecko should be in the HOF.

Dungy, what a fucking joke. That sanctimonious piece of shit has no right what so ever being in the HOF.

[​IMG]

19. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I don't understand all the hate for Dungy. Just because his public hate for gays may have contributed to his son committing suicide, you have to remember he was there for Michael Vick. And he said he would take wife beater Ray Rice on his team anytime.

20. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

has nothing to do with going into the HOF. No hate from me... I just don't think the man is a HOF coach when you look at the list of great coaches out there, he does not even come into mind.

#20 Pocket Jet, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016