Hobbes 'Trader Bill Mock' draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Hobbes3259, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We start with a Trade.

To Atl, the Jets trade Pennington, Vilma, #6 (1600 Points on the Draft Value chart) Overall.

Why? Atl has no QB, and now they get 2, an immediate starter and a QB of the future
    at #6, (Brohm,Ryan, whatever...) and a Blue Chip Defensive player for the middle of the Defense..(Brookings is about 32 y.o....)

This trade assigns the value of the 26th pick overall (700 pts) to both Pennington, and Vilma.

And considering 10 games a year in a Dome, and two more in reliably good weather, CP makes them an instant contender to win the division. He would probably be the best QB in that division.

To NYJ....
    #3 Overall (2200 pts), Atl 2nd (# 35, 550 pts), 3rd (#67, 255 pts)...

Why?
    That will become obvious...

At 3, the NYJets trade the pick to the Dallas Cowboys. They take Darren McFadden

Jets get 22 (780), and 31 (600) Overall, plus Marion Barber III.

Why?

Jerry Jones wants the Arkansas star, to couple with Romo, and the pick makes Barber expendable. (This works out on the Draft Value chart...by assigning the value of the 21st pick overall to MBIII (which is high...)

Now, using the Consensus Mock Draft, I only picked players that were not picked, when the Jets picks occurred, and I came away with.....

1st Rd.
    22 Limas Sweed WR
    31 Frank Okam DT

2nd Rd
    35 Shawn Crable LB
    38 Eric Young OG

3rd Rd.
    67 Barry Richardson OT/G
    70 Joe Flacco QB

In the Fourth round with the first pick you have, You also take Jason Shirley DT Fresno.

You have now added Depth at RB, A Big Play WR, A Second QB, another quality LB,
    and much needed Beef for the OL and DL (Both Okam and Shirley ar 6'5" and 330)

After that you only need one FA signing, and thats Terrell Suggs.

This draft addresses all of the weaknesses currently on the roster, EXCEPT THE VOID at Backup QB...

The biggest downside of all of this, is that theoretically all three players the Jets traded, Vilma,Pennington, and McFadden could have Pro Bowl years next year with their new teams, so If something happens to Clemens, or you don't get back to the playoffs, the trades will look awful on paper.

2. Hobbes3259

Digest and Discuss :beer:

3. bark

bark New Member

unrealistic, but I'd love it.

4. Jetset

Jetset New Member

Another key issue is that its doubtful that Suggs hits the market. Would love this and I am of the camp that all this noise that Chad stays with the Jets is just that noise to ensure he has trade value.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

First off, I love the idea & this is some bloody creative thinking. Sounds like something Scott Pioli would do. But not to be a smart a$$, this trade only works if Arthur Blank gives the Falcons GM job to Terry Bradway before the draft.

I hate the point system myself -- I think its total BS.

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

Using the points system for last year would be telling me that I would have had to trade Darrell Revis #14 (1,100) & David Harris #47 (430) to get Adrian Peterson RB. As good as AP was this past year, I would NEVER do that trade.

The way I am reading this says that the Falcons are giving us 3,000+ points in draft picks for our 1600 point pick + Vilma & Penny? Points away, I think the 2nd rounder for Vilma is appropriate, but the 3rd rounder for Penny is not happening. Plus, once this is all over, then all the Falcons really have is 3 guys playing at 2 positions (2 QBs & 1 LB). I think Atlanta would only do this trade if they were 2 players away from a Super Bowl.......................and they're not.

#5 wewantsapp, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Very unrealistic, also, Frank Okam can't play NT in a 3-4, he could play end and even then he would need to rotate a lot because he has no motor.

I'd rather take Dre Moore there.

7. Hobbes3259

No, what they are is completely without a QB.,at all, and for the forseeable future... and their draft position is too high for a QB to not be a reach.

I pointed out, you would be assinging the value of the 26th pick overall, (700 pts) to both players,
    So its roughly 3000 points for each team.....

And yes, the Falcons would ahve a Starting QB, A QB of the Future, and a Starting MLB.

They also need some high character players.

#7 Hobbes3259, Jan 7, 2008
  8. Hobbes3259

The guy is 6'5" 325 and only going to get heavier....He's significantly larger than what we have in the middle, and that slides Drob to End, and bringing in Jason Shirley provides depth and competition...

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

So Vilma is 700pts and Chad is 700pts going off a draft chart? Dont get me wrong, dude. I love the amount of work & creativity in your stuff, but you are basically saying that Vilma is = the 26th pick OVERALL of the upcoming draft. And I am telling you we would be very fortunate to get a solid early 2nd round pick for him.

And I cant even address the notion that Chad is = 26th pick OVERALL in the upcoming draft.

10. TheDooner64

TheDooner64 Member

Why would the cowboys give up 2 first round picks and barber to get the 3rd pick in the draft......if they're giving that much up they might as well trade to the #1. Even so, they would never do that.

11. Hobbes3259

Actually, that works out to a steal.

For Dallas.

In order for that scenario to be equitable, you have to assign a first round value to Marion Barber.

12. Hobbes3259

Both Pennington, and Vilma were A: drafted higher (16, 12 overall), and B:produced at a higher level than the picks in question indicate.

However, taking that argument into account, you could make it more equitable, for Atlanta,
    by reducing the 3rd rd pick to a fourth rounder, but then the Jets are getting robbed.

The key to that trade is Atlanta's pressing need for a proven winner at QB, in a Division that basically sucks right now.

Consensus has Ryan Clady going at 26, to the NYG...Do you think he's worht more than JV or CP ?

#12 Hobbes3259, Jan 7, 2008
  13. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Still irks me we didn't draft Barber. His Daddy played for us for heavens sake.

14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

why would we want barber when he is the same caliber as Jones.... if we get a running back we want to upgrade.... what Jones Lacks is Speed and what Leon washington lacks is Power we need the perfect back that could be a tweener

15. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

if we got marion barber III this would be great but no way theyd do that theyd trade us jones and i would think that would be the worst trade ever

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Barber isnt an upgrade to Jones?? Barber smacks people in the mouth and keeps running... i didnt see Jones do much of that this year.

17. Hobbes3259

I loved him as a third rounder coming out.

18. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

only reason why Barber smacked people around is because he has a way better line then Jones and if jones get to the secondary he can abuse dbs as well

19. KERRYRHODES25

KERRYRHODES25 New Member

barber>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jones

20. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

When it is all said and done, Okam might be a third rounder at best. I have not been reading good reviews of his recent performance.