Herm in hot water

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetFan20, Jun 16, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Come back home to the JETS Herm aka You Play to Win the Game Edwards.

Awesome leader of men I'd love this man as our DB coach (wishful thinking).

egelband likes this.
  3. Northlaker620

Northlaker620 New Member

I always thought Herm was full of it. The fact he is seemingly up to his eyeballs in a recruiting violation(s)doesn’t surprise me. Aside from really being able to “sling” it - my impression of him also is he’s not that bright.
    I

SOJAZ, abyzmul and Lon Chaney like this.
  4. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Never liked him really felt the Jets Squandered some opportunities of really making a run with Chad this guy was just a mouthpiece. Honestly he stayed way beyond his usefulness should have been fired a lot sooner. The guy had no experience at all as a coordinator he was hired because Johnsons didn't want to break the bank on a upcoming coaching candidate.

abyzmul and JetBlue like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not a surprise at all. He went to ASU for the paycheck, he wasn't trying to build a program.

65 years old and the college team in Phoenix wants to pay you $4 million a year. That's a retirement dream right there. He don't care about rules & violations and long-term viability

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

They should put Nick Saban under investigation for his recruiting ability @ Alabama. He's got a cheat code.

I swear he starts recruiting these kids while they're still in flag football or something.

Something tells me he's allowed to get away with murder when it comes to recruiting throughout the South.

patleahy likes this.
  7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Say what you will about Herm, they at least got a 4th round pick for him, one of Bradway's better trades...

wewantsapp and Noam like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup. And as an FSU fan turned into one of my all time most electric and favorite Jets...

And if Leon never got injured week 7 of 2009? I truly believe we would've eliminated Indianapolis and made it to the Super Bowl because before his injury of 2009 he was averaging 55 rushing yards along with 21 receiving yards per game (as an electric backup to Thomas Jones) and was also absolute fire on Kick Returns; and against Indianapolis both Thomas Jones and Shonn Green were absolutely horrible.

I know Shonn Greene stepped up big time in the playoffs against both Cincy and SD but Leon Washington was a bigger Offensive loss than most fans remember; was a tragic injury for me as a Jets fan.

9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Eh I always thought Herm had integrity (benching John Abraham when he didn't have to, because of a DWI for one) and still don't think he'd knowingly break rules. But he's also not been around college football in ages and that combined with his general...eagerness, I'm not entirely surprised he wound up fucking up.

Fiftynine likes this.
  10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't exactly shock me, especially given his relationship with Billy B in New England but with all of Alabama's success they don't even have to work at recruiting at this point either. With their pedigree it's the place to go if you want to play on Sundays.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's disgusting.

I can't even begin to name all the Alabama kids in the NFL right now.

Something like 80 players and I'm just glad we've got two of them in C.J. Mosley and Quinnen Williams.

Julio Jones.
    Amari Cooper.
    Calvin Ridley.
    Derrick Henry.
    Eddie Jackson.
    Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Forget it. I quit.

Just look at this picture (below). If all 4 make the HOF one day? It'll be the greatest college football picture, ever.

[​IMG]

Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith and Ruggs? All on the same team? All 1st round WRs? Speaks volumes. John Metchie III is next too.

Only Ruggs is born and raised in Alabama too.

• Jerry Jeudy is born and raised in Florida.
    • Jaylen Waddle is born and raised in Texas.
    • DeVonta Smith is born and raised in Louisiana.

• John Metchie III is born in Taiwan. Moved to Ghana and Canada. Played HS Football in Maryland. Then moved to New Jersey. And now recruited to Alabama? Na.

✓ That's how I know 100% coach Saban and his recruiters are somehow, someway cheating their recruiting process (however, it'll ruin NCAA's legacy of they're ever exposed and caught for cheating).

I always joke around with my daughter when watching Alabama football I tell her the only way these kids can ever be beat? Is if our Florida kids join one program and combine FSU/Gators/Hurricanes/UCF/USF into, one lol It's nuts to me man.

I do not blame competitive coaches like Herm (or anyone else) who get caught bending the rules of recruitment in order to try and steal kids away from Clemson, Ohio State and especially Alabama because it's ridiculous to begin with.

#11 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  12. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I always thought Herm was a good fit as a college coach. He definitely has the right personality for it much like Pete Carroll. He’s done well at ASU, but you are correct. He had a decade layoff in between KC and ASU so his star has definitely faded.

This is the risk you take when you hire a guy like Herm. He’s a famous coach that instantly injects some life into the program, but at age 65 (after a 10 year layoff) he probably isn’t going to have his finger on the pulse as much as he needs to.

I could see Rex following the same path as Herm one day.

13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

and dabo learned well from him, which is why Bama and Clemson basically exist on a different plane than everyone else in college football.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Teams with rookie QB's don't get to the Super Bowl.

It's like a natural law.

patleahy likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Meh, NCAA likes to come down on someone every now and then to make it look like they care about this type of stuff.

16. patleahy

good call, @Br4d

In NFL history, no rookie quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl. In fact, no rookie quarterback has ever made the Super Bowl. Rookie quarterbacks have made the AFC and NFC championship games but have not gone on to the Super Bowl. These include Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The college football system is kind of a joke. Has been for a long time. Now they've loosened up transfer rules so soon you'll have one player playing for three different teams over six years (or so it seems). And then there's the fact that the same 5 or 6 schools get into the playoff tournament each year. I'm old enough to remember great bowl games each year where you had to watch them all not knowing who might be voted #1. I'm getting old. Plus, I'm an RU grad so college football usually is a bitter experience :rolleyes: Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl. All were good.

18. patleahy

well-said as usual, @LogeSection2RowJ College football has become ridiculous due to its competitive imbalance. It is a hell of a lot less interesting then it was when I was a kid. Back then it seemed like each major conference had at least 1-2 nationally elite teams who would compete for a national title any given year. Now it is Bama, Clemson and (sometimes) OSU...and then the rest of the nation bunched in together, competing to be the sacrificial lamb in the CFP. I guess you could say Notre Dame is adept at playing that role, lol. It's pretty boring when you know it is going to come down to the same 2 teams every single year. College football is what the NFL would be like without a salary cap, if guys like Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke (or Robert Kraft) were able to completely separate themselves from the rest of the league by obsessively outspending every other team in the league.

#18 patleahy, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Have the Jets drafted a decent RB since Leon Washington?

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Greene in 2009, Powell in 2011, McGuire 2017, Cannon 2018, Perrine 2020 and Carter 2021.

Powell was certainly good, Greene had moments and Cannon has had a good career as a ST ace. Hopefully Carter is the answer.

patleahy and Dierking like this.