Have we really improved our OL?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sack exchange, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I have Sunday ticket, I see most of our starting OL last year starting for other teams, actually good teams. Winters for Buffalo, Osemele for Chiefs, shell foe Seattle, Beachum for Arizona, even Dozier starting for Vikings. With that said, have we really upgraded our OL. I think Becton is the real deal! Fant has looked good at times. But the others are they really better than what we had? Our depth is not great. Odoga was horrible last game. McDermott was better. Not sure JD improved the line significantly. Even all the moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Beachum is what he is. A veteran swing tackle who will always be OK. He fit that role here.

Osemele played good week 1 and sucked off by Collinsworth on that broadcast. They just ran for 200+ yards without him tonight. He also got absolutely abused when they played the Chargers by Jerry Tillery. So I think he's overhyped here as being a good player that left.

Releasing Winters still made zero sense. He'd be the perfect player to put in after game 2 of horrible play by GVR and probably wins the job in camp. Letting Dozier go always pissed me off to see him starting in Minnesota. We also let Oday Aboushi go a while back and he was a multi-year starter for the Texans. Along with letting a solid OG in Slauson walk.

LAJet likes this.
  3. Sack exchange

What do you think of our interior? To me I find underwhelming and not that much better. But I know takes time to play together. In the running game seems like we don’t hold our blocks long, and gore is able to get to holes with burst. But other players we usually are stuffed behind LOS. Pass blocking meh... but hard to tell as we are total mess. But shutout by phins and like 0-12 on third downs, really pathetic. That’s why I say hard to evaluate players when total mess. And that’s why Gase needs to go so we can see what we have.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

No question Becton and Fant (on the right side) seem like upgrades at tackle over Beachum and Edoga.

The issue is the interior, although I read against the Cardinals, McGovern and Van Roten had good games according to PFF.

I could see the unit quietly increasing in the ranks as they become healthy and have played together for a bit. Remember we have 4 new players starting together and had no offseason for them to gel. I think we should reserve judgement for the second half of the season.

LAJet and Brook! like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

The interior blows. McGovern and GVR have gotten pushed around pretty badly. Van Roten was supposed to excel in pass protection and he's gotten blown by several times. Not sure what the lovefest has been for Lewis around here for running on two years either. He's not good either. Fant is fine and Becton is good. Hopefully he gets healthy.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think we did a good job with both starting tackle positions.

Winters was nothing special but he was and is capable of starting at guard for an NFL team.

Failing to find a replacement in free agency is a big problem for our offense this season.

Perhaps they thought they would pick one up earlier in the draft than what we settled for in later rounds.

Given the track record of our scouting department this optimism seems shaky.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I really try to be objective, but Brian Winters grated on my nerves worse than any other Jet ever has. I'm so glad he's gone.

Objectively, GVR is not an improvement. Subjectively, I am so glad Winters is gone. And I was really excited when we drafted him, but it didn't last long. He's just a guy, and I feel bad for despising him, he didn't do anything to me--it's quite irrational. That's just how it is.

8. James Hasty

Agreed.

The guy we should have kept back in the day was Matt Slauson.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Winters looked good for 2 years - the 3rd and 4th of his rookie contract. Not a world beater but a capable NFL starter at least. Those years corresponded to Fitz as QB and Gailey as OC. Outside of that he has looked poor and barely adequate. If I recall correctly those two years were a different blocking scheme, that's probably no coincidence.

Lewis I never understood the love for and GVR has just been terrible.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I still haven't recovered from the shock of how bad the Jets offensive line was in 2019. And despite what on paper has been an influx of talent the results haven't been a whole hell of a lot better this season. Then you combine that with the fact that as mentioned a bunch of our castoffs are actually starting elsewhere and you start to wonder. Gase and his staff.... whoever runs the OL may be a big part of the problem?

Because you simply can't compete in the NFL without decent offensive line performance and the Jets have been WAY on the wrong side of decent consistently for 2 seasons now.

11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

100% have. Big Ticket and Fant should be long term starters. Interior now stinks but that’s fixable.

12. W. The amount of resources utilized to fix it,it should be significantly better.But Id like to see what Clarke can do next to Becton when both are healthy.

Becton-Clarke-Mcdermott-Fa/Draft Pick-Fant. Could be a solid OL heading into next season.That said we likely need 2 starting level guards to go along w an entire skill group RB/WR/TE. Fun times for Joe Douglas’s Jets

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I railed on Winters so harshly around here for years. He is beat by the inside move in pass protection so easily because he can't recover with his front plant step once he kicks too far out. It drives me fucking nuts. But he was always a pretty good run blocker. And it's a lot easier to hide a bad pass blocker by doubling or chipping with the center/runningbacks than it is to cover up a bad run blocker who allows penetration.

Also - our guard play has been so bad that I would've went with the best man and lots of camp competition. We handed Van Roten and Lewis the jobs when we cut him and made Andrews the backup center by letting Harrison go. We should be keeping 10 OL since it's arguably the weakest unit. Instead we've kept 8 most of the year and 4 receivers.

#13 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The tackles are good. The guards are bad. The center hasn't looked good, but that could be because of who's next to him on either side. It's gotten better, but more work needs to be done. At least 1 FA IOL needs to be signed and 1 draft pick should be used on one.

NCJetsfan and apjbfc like this.
  15. James Hasty

Next season I would go for one of the top three guards in free agency and make sure I drafted another one before day two is over in the draft.

If McGovern can not succeed with that kind of help we know it is time to walk away.

Otherwise all we need is depth and a RT to groom for the future.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Add in Thune at guard next year and Clarke if he makes the jump things might be a bit more promising. But the biggest benefit to the line will be removing Gase and his inflexible system that always seems to leave a blitzer untouched.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

No. We haven't. But I'm pretty sure JD has a plan. Getting a Franchise LT was and is a great start. I've been hard on JD I turned on him the moment he let Robby walk however in regards to our O-Line, Becton has looked awesome however I'll keep faith in JD because if we land Trevor Lawrence? We'll have two of the most important offensive pieces in place with Trevor and Becton ala a Franchise QB and a Franchise LT. And with 3 remaining 1st round picks I'm confident he'll draft us another 1st round O-Lineman.

It's ugly now but over the next two drafts and offseasons our offense could be exciting for the first time in long time.

Lawrence.
    Becton.
    Mims.
    1st round WR.
    1st round Center.
    1st round Guard.

That's what I hope JD does with our 4 first rounders.

Trevor.
    1st round WR.
    1st round Center.
    1st round Guard.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  18. Sack exchange

Exactly, have to wonder when JD made a point to make OL better, that we are probably bottom 5. I get Becton hurt, and had looked great so far, better he was 11 pick, right. Like you say, I have same notion it is Gase and staff thats the real problem. Because talent level bout same, maybe slightly better with Becton. And still same or worse results. Could be bad play calling, lol. Not working to the strengths of the players you have. If I was Gase would run behind Becton, he is road grater. But no, mostly dink and dunks where Becton cannot be dominant.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Can Mcdermott play guard? Moreso I think Edoga needs to play inside too. He gets beat too much.

20. Mcdermott can indeed play guard,but if hes struggling blocking at center,hows he gonna be better man up?

Edoga should get a shot at guard,not sure why he hasnt.His hands/ punch might not be fast enough for interior