Happy 4th of July everyone !

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by CBG, Jul 4, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Enjoy your day all and be safe !

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Happy 4th. Enjoy the bbqs, pools, and fireworks. Hope you have 10 fingers tomorrow.

CBG likes this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Happy 4th of July everyone.

CBG likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

wow Brook your on your game today-----> u moved this thread , to quote our AWOL weather guru = " well done sir "

Brook! likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I celebrate Independence day by rereading the Declaration of Independence. It's a very hopeful document and it's a document full of grievances. At the time of our Revolution. Great Britain had the largest and most powerful military industrial complex in the World. Soldiers were routinely paraded around to keep the people in line. Military ships were routinely in the harbors as a show of force. In referring to the King in the declaration our founders referred to King George and his use of the military as follows: "He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures."

The Continental army wasn't a world power in its day. It was a rag tag army by any historical perspective. Yet it still defeated the greatest Military industrial complex in World history at that moment in time.

Today if you happen to watch the military parade and hardware on display in our nations capital, think about the idea behind our revolution. It's not guns, tanks, planes or armies that win the day it's great idea's and aspirations that win the day. Liberty was the idea and aspiration that defeated the greatest military power the world had ever seen.

Happy Independence day!

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

#6 joe, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wishing a very happy and safe 4th of July to all the TGG members. May 2019 be the beginning of an AFC east revolution of our own and Independence from the chains of 50+ years of oppression and defeats. Here is on the hope that the up and rising NYJ jag Army defeats forever more the New England power house of years past.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Fireworks are legal to buy in Jersey now apparently. They are being sold in Shoprite. About damn time!

9. Brook!

Really? Didn’t know that. What part of NJ are you from my friend?

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Aisle 4, .next to gloves.

Sam Hammer and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no hard feelings about this at all and I love America. And if you’d stayed British we wouldn’t have the NFL, among many other wonderful American things, so please don’t think I’m a Brit with an axe to grind...

But Britain was NOT the greatest military industrial complex in world history at the time. The British Empire had less than 50,000 troops stationed all over the globe. The British hated the idea of a large standing army and regiments were routinely disbanded in peacetime. That’s why it took so long for a response to the outbreak of hostilities - because Britain had to scrape an army together, including hiring mercenaries, because there just wasn’t a huge army waiting around for something to happen. As it was, they could muster less than 30,000 men to send to America. It wasn’t nearly enough.

America’s victory was still a great achievement and I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July. You also beat us in the Women’s World Cup, so congratulations on that too!

Brook! likes this.
  12. Brook!

Classy guy. Awesome my friend.

joe likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just a heard a story the Founding Fathers recently channeled John Edward and revealed to him their favorite NFL team is the Washington Redskins and not the Baltimore Orioles

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The militia system of calling up loyal citizens was at the time and right up to WW2 the most powerful military system in World history. It's part of our Constitution which we no longer follow regarding the military.

The militia system was based on the loyalty of their subjects and the Crowns money to call up militia in times of conflict. They blew the loyalty part.

The Colonies were settled by British citizens loyal to Great Britain. The Empire was built on the Navy, modern fighting tactics and their ability to call up loyal subjects in times of conflict. George Washington was a colonel in the British army during the 7 year war and fought against the French on the side of Great Britian. When hostilities were starting the British routinely had ships in the harbors, blockaded harbors and paraded soldiers to intimidate the citizens. The British called up militia's in North American and brought 30,000 German mercenaries to North America. Those two tactics were in direct conflict with the loyalty of the militia's.

The Continental army didn't have funding there was no navy to speak of and they were mostly farmers. In context there is no doubt that Great Britain was at the time the greatest empire and military force in the world. In spite of superior fire power the Continental army used retreat and guerrilla tactics to counter it and won a war of attrition largely because the militia system employed by both sides relied on loyalty as the backbone. The British were losing it and the Patriots were getting it.

The US was on a militia system for a very long time. We entered WW2 with virtually no army to speak of and by the end of the war had a military that was the envy of every past empire. The militia system that relies on small standing armies during peace and the ability to call up loyal citizen during times of conflict is not a weakness. It's exactly what empires are built on.

As small as the British army was, most of their army was stationed in Ireland and North American. The US had no army. It was started from scratch with practically no funding.

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I was visiting family that lives in the Morris county area and went to a few supermarkets and every one had em for sale in the front. It's funny I didn't even hear that the law was changed.

Brook! likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Government by the People
    Government for the People

Government at the People

"Those people who are online making fun of members of Congress are a disgrace, and there is no need for anyone to think that is unacceptable [sic]. . We're gonna shut them down and work with whoever it is to shut them down, and they should be prosecuted!"
    - Rep. Federica Wilson (D-FL)

"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, .and for the same reason."
    - Mark Twain

#16 joe, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m Jason Pierre Paul and I appreciate the synergy between fireworks and gloves.

Sam Hammer and joe like this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .I'm Mordecai Brown and I appreciate this post.