Haloti Ngata?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MCHECK62, Mar 23, 2006.

1. MCHECK62

MCHECK62 New Member

How about this guy making a Wilfork like impact in terms of the running game? IF we trade down a few spots, this is a possibility.

DE: Dewayne/Ellis/Kimo
    NT: Ngata
    OLB: Thomas
    OLB: Barton
    ILB: Vilma
    ILB: TBD

Decent front seven, although the idea of D'Brick remains very alluring especially after reading yesterday's Sports Weekly.

2. Chad Vs THe World

d rob as a end, your dreaming

3. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I've posted for a few months now how much I like this guy. Ngata is an impact NT who can take on blocks, and still make plays. He'd make the DE's and LB's - espcially Vilma behind him, much more effective.

If we trade down to #7 or #8 I'd nab him!

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Thomas at OLB? No way. Maybe he can be the occasional speed rusher, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable with him at OLB.

Also, there are a lot of people who think Robertson can't simply move to DE. I'm not sure whether he can or can't. I do know, however, that Richard Seymour played both and therefore, it may not be too far-fetched to see Roberston do it. I guess it all depends on his ability to learn and adapt.

I'd rather us not use that first pick on Ngata because we could address other bigger needs. We should wait to see if Gabe Watson falls to us at R2,#4.

cheers

5. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

No love for Hobson eh!!! Little dissapointed with that, he will be very solid in the 3-4.

6. MCHECK62

MCHECK62 New Member

You're probably right about Hobson. He's more of a 3-4 type of guy anyway. Thomas? OK. As a 3-4 speed player.

Robertson @ DE? You're probably right. He's really a 4-3 three technique tackle.

One of the problems is we've been changing the playbook too many times. If you want to play 3-4, fine. But start with a 3-4 330 LB DT who can take on 2-3 blockers at a time.

This is how Pittsburgh, New England, and other effective three men fronts get it done.

7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I've never seen Ngata play - but I hear issues about his consistancy. effort and motor. Issues I don't want anything to do with.

8. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

DRob and Ngata would platoon at NT, you do need more than one especially when I'm sure we'll play some 4-3 as well. I have no problem with it.

BThomas will be the 3rd End in the Rotation... Face it, he's not going anywhere

Hobson is going to thrive in the new Defense

Ellis

9. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

No thanks. Haven't we already been down that road of DT/NT's that have attitude/motivation problems? Ugh.....

10. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Dewayne Robertson is, without a doubt, an end in the 3-4. Hes got the size to play the nose if he had to, but hes athletic enough and quick enough to play at end. Id bet money that thats where hell be playing this season.

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

[QUOTEDewayne Robertson is, without a doubt, an end in the 3-4. Hes got the size to play the nose if he had to, but hes athletic enough and quick enough to play at end. Id bet money that thats where hell be playing this season.][/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY AGREE...I wonder why people think he would be an "awful" fit at end. He and Ellis with a fat ass like Nagti or Adams would make the lb's SO effectieve. We would then be able to run the 3-4 perfect, the O will not know where the additional blitzer is comming from. This will lead to alot of easy sacks and they all have the ability to play the run!!

12. al kickurass

al kickurass New Member

I am in total agreement with having Ngata on our team. I would trade down for him though. Maybe with the Raiders at 7 and try to at least get a 2nd or 3rd round pick also. Plus, he will be cheaper to sign that the #4 pick.

I think he is going to help the defense tremendously. Stopping the run is key, as long as we can do that - I will be a happy camper.

Robertson should be able to play an end in a 3-4, he is quick - so it shouldn't be too big of an adjustment to play end.

As for Thomas ... I like having him on our team. He keeps improving and he is cheap. Also, he is fast - so he should even be able to play some olb and rush the quarterback. We will see though!

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

If Leinart or Mario Williams is off the board at 4, then I would try to date down to get Ngata. I would not take him at 4.

Our linebackers right now are really not made for a 3-4. Bryan Thoms will never be a linebacker. Hobson could be an inside linebacker in a 3-4 but thats about it. He's not fast enough to play outside.

14. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

No Ngata for me, he has questionable problems about taking plays off, he can go somewhere else and do that we only have space for one of those and that is Pouha

15. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I mentioned this in the NFL Draft Forum but I'll say it again here.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Ngata but I would much rather take Gabe Watson at #29 or #35. He is about the same size and skill. He is also an ideal Nose Tackle and would come at a fraction of the cost.