Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 20, 2016.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Anybody care to guess why our second round pick hasn't played? Ive never seen a second round pick this protected.....

boozer32 likes this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They're using the snaps to see if they're OK with going into the season with Petty at #2.

jetsclaps, ajax, Dom and 6 others like this.
  3. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Yea I guess it is pretty unusual but I agree with the team here that it would be pointless to take take game time away from petty just for the sake playing our 2nd round pick. Let hack sponge this year and maybe being drafted but not getting the chance to see the field will be a motivational thing for him .

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Staff has been so pre-occupied with the Geno/Petty dynamics that Hack hasn't gotten any reps in practice....zero with the ones. Hack has worked on maybe 3 plays, 2 of which are running plays.

Like Bowles hinted, what's Hack gonna do out there? Run the same 3 plays over and over?

Bowles told reporters Hack simply needs more reps in practice to prepare himself for live action. I really think Bowles WANTED Hack to get more reps this last week in practice (and Hack DID get 3 plays), but with Gaily running the O-show it just didn't work out, so Hack sits again.

Maybe this week Hack will get under center with the ones for a series and THEN Bowles can throw him out there in a game.

5. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I have been saying it all along,we will not see Hack till the second half of the 4th game. Afterwords he will be IR'd with a phantom injury

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not sure if Hack will play the last game. That one might be a Geno vs. Petty showdown.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are reluctant to get Hackenberg reps in games because the bulk of the development he needs is physical rather than mental. It's well documented that his football IQ is high and his accuracy is terrible. Putting him on the field will just further cement his bad mechanics; you can focus on fixing them in practice but when you're in a game setting you relapse to your muscle memory. I think they want to take an entire year to fix his throwing motion (ala the Packers overhauling Rodgers' release) and let him pick up the mental side from the sidelines, seeing as he isn't that far off.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's a good theory, hopefully it's correct.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gailey in a presser a week or two ago said it takes a long time, at least thousands of reps, to change a player's physical habits. These guys have been playing a certain way since pee-wee football. Anyone who's ever tried to tweak their golf swing knows what Gaily's talking about. It's really tough to do, then add the fast pace pressure of a real game. So you could be right....take time to fix him before showcasing him.

NCJetsfan and Big Cat like this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It smells like an open competition between Petty and Hackenberg is coming for the starting job next year. I can't imagine a new regime going 3 seasons in without getting a young QB as "their guy" on the field. Fitz and Geno aren't under contract after this year and every contract they offered Fitz had either an opt out clause or precipitous salary decline after year 1. Very well could be that the "projects" duke it out and the more developed gets the job.

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think you're spot on with this. I've said similar things earlier.

Donttasemebro and Big Cat like this.
  12. abyzmul

Yeah, I think you're right. There will come a point where this current Jets admin will need to declare for the future, and I don't see either Geno or Fitz in that picture.

I could also see them drafting another young QB while Petty and Hack try to prove themselves as journeymen, unless some decent vet shakes loose from another team.

Big Cat likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's very good hearing that he has a high football IQ and I'm hoping this is the real reason as to why he's sitting. With Petty coming along we could be setting ourselves up for a very intriguing camp battle next year.

To have young quarterbacks on the roster that are promising is so encouraging and foreign to us. Not only that, but we have set ourselves up with a solid stopgap to the point where we don't need to force them into game action too early (like with Geno and Sanchez) and perhaps ruin their psyche early on. Not to mention we have multiple possible options, which again is something foreign to this franchise.

The change in regimes is night and day in how they're building this roster. Just knocking on wood that If Petty proves to be the real deal he doesn't destroy his shoulder or some shit like Pennington did as the last real young talented quarterback we've had.

Big Cat likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Exactly, the more repetitions the better. If Petty can surpass Geno it's going to help the Jets big time long term. Finally, not young QBs thrown into the fire.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

There's 3 possible reasons to me:

- They want to see Geno vs Petty battle it out and there's not enough reps

- He is going to be IR'ed and this is a way to play along with it....something bothering him so he couldn;t play

- He looks really bad and they don't wanna take anymore heat if he struggles....he was already considered a reach by many

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I don't see the "IR" thing happening. As I understand it, they wouldn't be able to do with him, what he needs to work on... Footwork and mechanics.

If he cant practice those aspects of his game on IR, what's the point?

He's gonna be #3 for us, behind either Geno or Petty. Or we carry 4 QB's.

I think Geno will be released, it's a gamble, but Geno has shown very little in two games. He looks worse the more we see.

Some say Petty looked good against scubs, but those scubs brought pressure every snap, they covered receivers every play. Petty looked good, he handled the pressure, he made good throws. If not for the fumbles, he probably scores 7 or more points.

Geno looked good... until he didn't...again.

Petty and Hack battle it out next year.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the guys mechanics and accuracy is so bad they don't want to expose him and themselves to the media scrutiny. They wasted a 2nd round pick on a clipboard holder. We had OL issues and we could have gotten Dax Prescott in the 3rd round instead of this project.

TNJet likes this.
  18. abyzmul

Dak (aka Dakota) Prescott.

But yeah, we and every other team not named the Cowboys missed that boat. QB is the biggest gamble in the league and we basically go all in during the worst possible times. The Jets thought they were getting a high reward chance and now they won't even put the guy on the field.

Maybe they're being smart and keeping him in development stage, but the smart odds are that this guy isn't impressing anyone. Or he would get a couple of snaps.

No way of knowing at this point, but it's frustrating.

TNJet and boozer32 like this.
  19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yup and 4 QBs is probably unlikely. Not only does it screw up the roster but there are very limited snaps during the season during practice to get 4 QBs reps.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I watched the game on the Washington broadcast. They were stunned at the lack of playing time. "Why would you take someone in the second round and not find time to play him in the preseason?"

Hard to disagree with that assessment