Hackenberg update

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Just read this... Obviously take it with a grain of salt

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...-well-throw/ctnLlMqEeIwv8AndcfXS2K/story.html

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. Would be nice to have several good options at QB. Who knows what will happen. If we don't take a QB in the 1st, this might have something to do with it. But is this FO willing to gamble their careers on the kid that has shown absolutely nothing to date?

Interesting enough, this article was also just posted lol.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...tian-hackenberg-may-be-released-in-offseason/

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have said all along Hackenberg will be a good NFL QB. He has it all, just needs to put it together. At 22, he definitely still has time to do that too. Unfortunately, he was picked by the Jets, who have not been too helpful in his growth the last 2 years. Eventually he will be released, then succeed at his next team. No doubt about it. The Jets are not in a spot to wait for him, so they have to go after Cousins or a 1st Round QB. I am definitely disappointed with how he has been handled so far.

5. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

He will get his opportunity with the Jets, hopefully he makes the most of it

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"Christensen, who helped develop Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins, among others, said Hackenberg is going to be a star."

OMG such a cute idea! And it wouldn't be expensive either. My mom would totally help. Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

7. The Dark Knight

I don't think so now. His "chance" were those 2 preseason games where he had no protection and face planted last year.

Now the Jets must draft a QB in the 1st Round or sign Cousins. Otherwise, they will be considered a joke. Can't go into 2018 with McCown, Hackenberg and Petty. You can drop McCown (FA anyway) and Petty, draft a QB, keep Hack and sign a vet. That is a solid option, but Hack would not get a truly fair chance if so.

hwismer, FJF and Sam Hammer like this.
  8. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I just can't see the coaching staff especially MM giving up on him this quick. Especially with how early he was picked, it would be a huge hit to Maccagnans ego. Depending on free agency and the draft- I think the Jets roll into the season with 2 options. Option A: (FA veteran) (Drafted QB) (Hackenberg) or (Cousins) (Hack) (FA Signee) - I can't see a way Petty makes the team- just my opinion

I agree, the best chance he gets is if the Jets draft a QB, so they can have a legit QB competition. However if Jets sign Cousins, Hack will be on the roster, but like you said he will never get a true chance to truly flourish. I am all for Option A- I think this is the first time in a decade, the team has a chance at a sustainable future- I know we have the cap $ for Cousins- but the rebuild all of a sudden turns into win now

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This sounds like the same old nonsense hype that was said about Jamarcus Russell in 2010 before TC began? Then Russell showed up at camp weighing 290 pounds. He was cut during TC.

Take this with a grain of salt? Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

zace and No Fly Zone like this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I thought actually Hack threw about the best looking TD of the Jets entire 2017 season in a preseason game to ASJ if I remember correctly. Whoever caught it I have to say that was pretty awesome.

I'd like to see him actually do well myself. If not with the Jets then somewhere else.

11. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Glad he will be able to stay in the league somewhere else

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hey if he comes into camp and outplays everyone he can start.

Not that it's gonna happen, but theoretically

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Yeah, there is 0% chance any option includes Petty on the roster. I don't agree with reports that Hackenberg will be cut. Too young with too much potential and a small cap hit, to cut a 2nd Round QB. He won't be in their plans as a serious starter though. That is what I mean by no chance.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I see what you are saying here, but it really depends who the Jets draft. If it's Rosen, then yeah, Hack has no chance, but if it's Darnold or Mayfield, those 2 guys will likely take some time to develop, so we could see Hackenburg start some games if the coaches feel he is ready. If Hack can win the job in TC, then that will be a good sign. Cutting Hack at this point makes no sense. Petty has had opportunities and it doesn't look like he's got it.

#16 Sam Hammer, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Boston Globe is trolling us.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There is no shame in giving up on a 2nd rd QB. The odds of a 2nd round QB making it in the NFL are very slim. They took a gamble and lost on Hackenburg. It's quite apparent MM has moved on and that Hackenburg's opportunity in NY is over. At this point he will be fighting to make an NFL roster next year.

19. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

The jets give Cousins $90m and then Hackenburg beats him out in tc. SOJ meme makers have a field day

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. These offseason QB gurus always talk hyperbole about their clients. I would expect Hackenburg to make improvements this offseason. I'd even venture to say he'll impress in drills. But he proves nothing until he starts being at the very least digestible in 11's. Short of that happening,have a hard time imagining him still being here beyond preseason week 4.