Guys who looked good on Offense -- Week 2 vs Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Aug 22, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This was a good thread idea by Guinness last week. I'd like to do this for every preseason game. During the season, we'll have our usual Appreciation threads.

1) Plaxico Burress - Never happier to be incorrect about questioning the move to get him. I was completely unsure how a 34 year old WR who has been out of football for 2 years would do in his 1st year back. You don't need a wait and see approach with a guy this good.

2) Joe McKnight - My Running Back. Thanks for growing up and looking capable to get carries during the season.

3) Vlad Ducasse - Yes. Fuck off. He played well. He run blocks as good as a first teamer, and stood his assignment up on the pass. His footwork looked better. Two false starts (one on Sanchez) isn't going to deter him from getting a positive grade. Good job Vlad.

4) Mark Sanchez - Good is the word. It wasn't great. 60% is where he should be at, he was. He threw to the wrong shoulder a couple of times and that can be costly if you are facing better corners. He stared down Plax and Leon Hall knocked it away. Other than that he played well. Great job moving defenses, and making plays with Keller and Plax.

5) Jeff Cumberland - its time to see if he can get separation on starters. No 2nd string defense has an answer for a power forward in football cleats.

There are others, feel free to add who stood out to you.

#1 NDmick, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. SeattleJet

SeattleJet Active Member

Robby Felix, our backup center did a good job today.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Dustin Keller was pretty badass on 2 plays....him and Sanchez got the team off the 1 yard line and to near midfield on a nice hookup where he shifted off coverage.

Going to be so key to make him more of a focus point on offense.

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

RB Chris Jennings broke a nice run. He looked very capable. Seems to dance & find holes. Ni ce power back to team with Shaun Green. He probally won't make team, will go on practice squad & be stolen by the NY Giants.

Bilal Powell looks crisp always. Also I like seeing Patrick Turner out there. Was looking for TE Josh Baker to get some touches, he displayed really good hands last week.

OL....all subs looked crappy. #77...is 1st to be cut. The experment of Matt Kroul to OL is gonns fail. Though he is strong, his arms are to short to be an effective OL.

Keep an eye on #76 Chris Stewart...has size. Look for Jets to add somebody this week. Bring Damien Woody back ???

5. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

RB Chris Jennings broke a nice run. He looked very capable. Seems to dance & find holes. Ni ce power back to team with Shaun Green. He probally won't make team, will go on practice squad & be stolen by the NY Giants.

Bilal Powell looks crisp always. Also I like seeing Patrick Turner out there. Was looking for TE Josh Baker to get some touches, he displayed really good hands last week.

OL....all subs looked crappy. #77...is 1st to be cut. The experment of Matt Kroul to OL is gonns fail. Though he is strong, his arms are to short to be an effective OL.

Keep an eye on #76 Chris Stewart...has size. Look for Jets to add somebody this week. Bring Damien Woody back ???

Last but not least, McElroy has been looking very steady. He's playing alot better than I thought he would. Kuddos':metal: :up: :jets:

6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

That's one way to get your post count up

7. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Chris Stewart was good at ND, I'd like to see him make the team

8. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Can't disagree with much here. I wouldn't put anyone with 2 flags against as a standout, but Vlad improved. I had questions about Plax, but that was a hell of a start. I've been waiting for a fade pass like that for quite some time. Beautiful. Joe looked pretty good. He had a near fumble which I cringed at a bit, but he's going to have a role. Cumberland is an animal. I've been begging for 2 TE sets for years and I think we have the right guys for it. Cumb and Keller make a fantastic duo and I hope to see them on the field together a few times per game.

Mark had a few questionable throws and locked in really bad on that empty backfield set. Overall, I think he played his ass off.
    Kerley hasn't impressed me much despite the hype. I'm hoping to see him shine next week. Turner needed to catch that TD. LT had no holes to run through-- not sure what was up with our OL last night. We didn't start running till the second half.

Not a defensive thread, but Eric Smith is actually pretty good. He killed the playoffs and is no different now. Sad to see Pool with third stringers.

9. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

taped the game and only saw the first half so far...

loved the eric smith pick and the lateral... he showed some good reaction there... wonder if he would actually make that lateral in a real game tho lol

keller and plax looked awesome... for minimal practice with sanchez i was surprised to see them hook up so quickly... good shit

gonna watch the second half tonight

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Other than the obvious first stringers, Jeff Cumberland is really making a name for himself, and bringing in a guy like Tom Moore, who loves to utilize the TE position, if I don't see a lot of 2 TE passing sets during the regular season, I'd be shocked. If Cumberland can do this with the likes of Plax, Holmes, Mason, Keller, etc. on the field, we could have a dominating offense.
    McKnight looked great, and Jennings looked good even before he broke that long gainer. Keeps moving his feet, but considering our depth at RB, he'll probably be a PS candidate, which would expose him to another team with RB issues. Could be another Chauncy Washington type.
    The one thing that bothered me, (yeah, yeah, it's just preseason), LT had no burst. The Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games this year, I would have liked to see Tomlinson gain some yards.
    Turner almost made a circus catch in the 3rd quarter. He'll be on the team. And, is it possible McElroy passes Brunell on the depth chart? This kid is good. And call me crazy, I know he's probably not gonna make the team, but DePalma seems very sure of himself fielding the kicks. Not an easy job to do, it seems to come easy to him.

11. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

my two favorite standouts

plax- def a great weapon for our offense. can't imagine how good we'll be with mason running free in the slot with him. both our outside receivers are gonna command attention which will be great for our running game.

keller- made big plays with his opportunities. i always feel like whenever he's on, the team comes out a winner.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wait, Bilal Powell did good?

He looked like he was getting manhandled out there...LT looked like it was december already

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Burress was the most welcome news last night. He looked great. Keller also had a great game.

Ducasse did not play well. He had two penalties, and did not seem to help the running game much when the ball went to the right side. So had no sacks called on him. I guess that's progress.

From the bench, I have to say McElroy looked good. Cumberland as others have mentioned also impressed. Kerley, not so much.

14. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

The line seemed to struggle in the running game early on, I won't blame the RB's but I' not expecting LT to be a monster this year either.

15. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Vlad got called for 2 penalties but was only responsible for one, the refs should have called Sanchez for the other.

16. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Plax playing like he has something to prove! + get himself one last big contract..

Cumberland is impressive..like to see him w/ 1st team (coupled w/ Keller)

McElroy appears to be smart & serviceable...

Like to find a way to keep Jennings, but seems unlikely to not get plucked off PS

Disapointed in 1st OL running game...hopefully when Moore is back...

17. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I agree that Vlad had a bounce-back game. Don't overlook McElroy, either. He's been really impressive.

18. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Kerley has been unimpressive from the hype he's been getting. I don't recall him dropping anything in his hands, but his "speed" hasn't lived up to the hoopla. Then again, he hasn't fumbled any punts/KO's so he's got that going for him.

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

McElroy has been playing great and he's taking some significant hits when dropping back. There was one yesterday where I thought (and it sounded like the crowd did as well) that there should have been a roughing the passer penalty. Still probably isn't as bad as the game before where the back of his head slammed into the ground.

20. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

The guy who hit him was huge, It was a total pancake. That he got right up says alot about how tough he is. I can't believe he did not loose his wind on that hit.