Guys To Watch in Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jun 21, 2021.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Here's my list, some whole positions. What's yours?

RG - GVR, Cam Clarke, Alex Lewis. I'm really pulling for Cam Clarke here.

CB - Looking at the entirety of the rookie class to see who emerges, but most notably I'll be hoping for Pinnock, Isaiah Dunn to emerge.

K - Would LOVE for Naggar to take this job and give us some confidence. Our K position is potentially disasterous, and I'm surprised the Jets didn't focus on it more.

OLB - I am looking to see how Sherwood and Hamsah perform here. Suspect they'll be pulled up into this spot on various occasions.

TE - TE1 is for the taking. Right now, based on reps in OTA's alone it looks like Kroft is opening camp as TE1. But obv we are all hoping Herndon can get it together, and all eyes on Yeboah.

PR/KR - Who will land this role? Feels totally up in the air.

nycarl, Jets81, patleahy and 9 others like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’ll be watching Hall continue to grow on a strong rookie season and put to rest the need for a cb1 talk.
    Isaiah Dunn is supposedly well liked by the staff , highest paid udfa, so definitely watching him.
    Wr2 battle. I know everyone thinks it’s mims and maybe cole but I think our top 3 end up being Davis Moore and crowder.
    Michael Carter I absolutely love at rb, watching him and hoping he can become a 15-20 touch guy.
    Q Williams. Because greatness is fun to watch and we’re seeing it start from the first floor.
    And obviously, qb1

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think Feeney may shock you at right guard, lateral movement is meant to suit him and let's face it he hasn't got a lot to face off in competition.

Noam likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I want to see this Zach Wilson kid everyone keeps talking about.

This is a cool Training Camp where literally every position will be interesting to watch. It will be interesting to see how the team gels too. How Robert Saleh gets them a long.

I guess I would say the WR position. Finally have a nice group. Who steps up to the starting spots? Davis seems liked in Crowder in the slot makes sense. Can Mims get that #2 spot? What about Moore? Keelan Cole has been getting a lot of hype too. That will be fun to watch. Some of the depth WR's looked good last year too yet never really got a chance. We will see if they can catch on in this new system.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it will be very interestin to see how many WRs the Jets keep. Locks are Davis, Moore, Mims, Cole, Crowder, and Berrios. Unless the Jets keep 7 WRs (I'd be shocked if they kept 8) Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith, Manasseh Bailey, Lawrence Cager, Josh Malone, and DJ Montgomery will be on the outside looking in. With Davis, Mims and Moore, Cager really isn't needed and doesn't offer that much. I think V. Smith would have to have an incredible TC and preseason to make the 7th spot, let alone the 6th. I think Jeff Smith has perhaps the best chance to win the 7th spot if the Jets keeps 7 WRs; otherwise, he will be a prime candidate for the PS. He excels at YAC, and is the only one of these 6 WRs that does. The only way I see him becoming one of the top 6 WRs is if one of the others suffers a major injury, or Berrios suddenly struggles in TC and Jeff Smith lights it up. Manasseh Bailey looked good in OTAs, but the Jets are already 3 deep in the slot, and he would make 4 deep, so I don't see him sticking, although he may deserve a PS spot. I don't know much about Malone and Montgomery except they've been hanging around the Jets' OTAs/TCs for 2-3 years now I believe. They must have some potential since the Jets keep inviting them back..

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

To each our own man.

#8 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I didnt want to start a new thread just to discuss Alex Lewis, esp. since this is obviously going to be a recurring article leading up to training camp. Since you mentioned Lewis in your initial post, @TurkJetFan I figured I would just post this here. Great idea for a new thread, btw @TurkJetFan :)

Alex Lewis looking to earn trust after disappointing and troubling end to 2020 season.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/21/alex-lewis-has-to-earn-jets-trust-after-rocky-end-to-2020/

Looking back at 2020

It is hard to think of a stranger season than the one Lewis had in 2020. When he was on the field, he performed decently. PFF ranked him 26th out of the 80 guards they graded. He gave up zero sacks and only 16 hurries, per PFF. He started the first nine of the first 10 games for the Jets at left guard. Then, he was mysteriously inactive against the Dolphins at the end of November. It turned out that Lewis had clashed with both coaches and teammates and the team placed him on the non-football injury list as he sought medical help for a non-football issue. Sources said that Lewis had a very difficult time with all of the losing the Jets were doing last year and felt that some coaches and teammates did not care as much as he did. This led to a few clashes in practice and accusations of insubordination. Lewis actually returned to practice in Week 17, but again had an issue with a teammate in practice and was once again separated from the team, according to sources.

Outlook for 2021

It looked like Lewis might be a salary-cap casualty this winter, but the Jets chose instead to restructure his contract. They cut Lewis’ salary from $5.8 million to $3 million and took off the last year of his three-year contract, making him a free agent in 2022.

When the Jets drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round, the left guard spot was filled, but Lewis is expected to compete at right guard with Greg Van Roten, Dan Feeney and Cameron Clark. If you are judging just on ability, Lewis is by far the best of that group. But can the Jets trust him after his "erratic behavioral issues" last year? Will he break down and implode if the team struggles again or if he is unhappy about something? He has been curiously absent during the OTAs this spring, which can’t be helping his cause with the coaches. He is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas, who believes in his talent, but that may not be enough for him to make the team if the coaches decide that he can't be trusted.

#9 patleahy, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes man yes super sleeper he absolutely destroyed Alabama last year.

11. patleahy

I have to admit that being ranked 26th out of 80 guards and not surrendering a single sack is pretty damn decent, but the fact that way he was "removed" from the team, for all intents and purposes, is troubling. Yeah Gase and his staff sucked and it was a frustrating, depressing season, but nobody else seemed to have these sorts of issues.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

"Sources said that Lewis had a very difficult time with all of the losing the Jets were doing last year and felt that some coaches and teammates did not care as much as he did. This led to a few clashes in practice and accusations of insubordination".

This is the type of man and competitor to be given another chance under coach Saleh.

He hates to lose, he'll call out teammates who are o.k with losing and he went down swinging @ Adam Gase; I love that shit!

13. patleahy

I agree to a certain extent, DWC...BUT the fact that he was absent from OTA's is troubling, ESP giving his particular set of circumstances. You would think he would be going overboard to prove to Saleh and the new staff that he can be trusted, and attending OTA's would have been a good start.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am interested in the final 53 and the fight for the last spots. I don't think we have seen such a competitive fight for the final 53 in a long time.

Robbie Sabo offers an interedting final 53 prediction here.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/06/20/new-york-jets-53-man-roster-prediction-post-minicamp-edition/

15. patleahy

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I had no idea he missed OTAs. Makes me feel differently now.

Watch this interview of Van Roten. He's emphasizing the importance of Jets players showing up for OTAs and Mini Camp etc it's an awesome watch..

I dislike him as a player @ RG but I respect and love his mentality. You can tell just by the ways he talks about Football that he'll one day find his way onto an NFL coaching staff.

patleahy likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No clue. This is the first I have heard of it. But it gives an explanation to his going IA. It sounds like there are still ongoing lingering effects which makes me think his days are numbered. As far as RGs we have Rotten, Lewis Feeney, Clarke and the UD from BYU. Feeney because of the contract guarantee seems like the surest thing to make the roster of the 4. Lewis is the best pass blocker but GVR is supposed to be a better scheme fit. The reviews on Clarke who was injured all last year are not great. I imagine GVR, Lewis and Clarke are fighting for 2 roster spots. Likely either Lewis or GVR is gone.

JD did put in the effort to redo Lewis so he has a chance.

On a side note I love how GVR is at every Islander game. He seems to be a leader.

18. patleahy

You don't think he has the chops to hold down the job at RG, DWC?

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

@Noam

There's not much for me to tackle in regards to Robbie Sabo's projected 53, it was a good take however there are two specifics in which I'm questioning.

1.) Where is Bless Austin? Still only 24 years of age (2019) and heading into his 3rd year.

2.) Where is Cameron Clark? JD's 4th round pick last year @ OT (2020).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. patleahy

^^yeah the article did mention that JD is a big believer in Lewis's talent, but that isn't going to be enough if Lewis continues to act like this.