Grrrrr - Baker, Abraham on Broncos' list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYSackXchange, Mar 12, 2006.

1. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

I guess we may have put ourselves in a bad situation by not signing Baker. I hope he returns. Baker dont leave!

Baker, Abraham on Broncos' list

Saturday, March 11, 2006
    By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

Tight end also could be a tight spot for the Jets -- a report out of Denver said the Broncos could pursue Chris Baker, turned loose as an unrestricted free agent. The Jets have told agent Cliff Brady they want to re-sign Baker, but Baker said he won't be parked by his telephone this weekend.

"I'm not going to sit around and wait," he said. "Whatever happens happens."

A Baker signing by Denver would be strange, considering that last year the Jets attempted to sign Jeb Putzier as a Broncos restricted free agent. The Broncos, who matched that offer, cut Putzier last week.

The Jets traded with Oakland for Doug Jolley, who struggled all season. If Baker doesn't return, coach Eric Mangini's new TE depth chart would be the same one the Jets ended last season with: Jolley, Joel Dreessen and long-snapper James Dearth.

The Jets had not expressed any renewed interest in Putzier to his agent as of Friday night.

At quarterback, the Jets were closing in on a trade with Washington for Patrick Ramsey. The teams gave no indications that they were poised to announce a deal at 12:01 a.m., the start of the league's trading and free-agency periods.

Mangini met with safety Tebucky Jones, whom he worked with as New England's secondary coach from 2000-02. Jones had been terminated by Miami last week.

2. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Tebucky Jones? Thats who we are meeting with the first day of free agency. Are you f-in kidding me???

3. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Jones would be a waste of space, unless he came as a cheap backup to give vet insight into our young secondary, but I do not think we would be targeting someone so soon to be a backup in position such as safety

4. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

I felt the same thing! Unreal!

5. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

We gotta resign Baker we cant just let him get away like this.

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

We also met with Ashworth and von Oelhoffen, so that kind of over rules Jones' visit.

7. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Ashworth is garbage. Von Oelhoffen had a good season last year, but he's in his late 30's. No thanks.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Ashworth blocked for a probowl QB...he must be trash

9. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Wasnt that because someone infront of him was injuried?

10. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

No i think Ashworth got injured and someone else took over

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Ashton started 11 games this past year...So yes at some point he got hurt, but he was blocking for a good offense.

12. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Agreed, I think he would be a great sign, game ready, I do not think his injuries will have lingering effects

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If Ashworth is garbage, is Jason Fabini septic waste? Ashworth isn't great, but he's a solid linemen who does what he has to do, and gets the job done.

Also, there is a reason we're looking at vets like von Oelhoffen. This is the Belichick way. Bring in older veterans who are familiar with the system, and have them hold the fort for the younger players.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Tebucky Jones = Reggie Tongue

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Tebucky Jones = Damien Robinson

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Tebucky Jones = Why BOTHER?

Since when did safety become a "need" position for us this offseason? Considering we were one of the first teams to be cap ready, we have had a pretty crappy start to free agency. I still have faith in the new regime, but they need to light a fire under their own asses soon, before all of the talent is gobbled up.

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

its not a need but he know mangini defense so why not. he shouldnt run us much. we need 4 safeties anyway i think we hae 3 on the roster with celestand cut

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I hear you hydro, but it just doesn't make sense to me. There are real needs on this club, and we have yet to make a decent move to improve things. I am get a bit anxious, given that some significant moves have been made on the market already, and we are just spinning our wheels.

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Nah, hes not even that good.

20. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I'm not hung up on Baker. He still can't block 4 seasons later. Lots of TE's available in this draft. Fasano would look good in green as a 4th rounder.