growing concerned about chads future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by alleycat9, Feb 16, 2006.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

saw a quick spot last night rehashing things most already knew that the jets were trying to negotiate chads salary down this year.... but i had never heard about how far down, they were saying to 1mill for the year next year with incentives. and that he may be sent packing if he doesnt accept (they didnt actually say that word for word but it was definitely implied)

i am really coming to the realization that this staff is not impressed with pennington and will be looking to replace him in the next year or 2 max.

2. JVilma51

JVilma51 Member

ya i think everyones realized that his career is near over with us...its a shame cause he had a great competitve spirit and team attitude...just got really really bad breaks

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete New Member

Well I wish Chad the best but we really can't expect him to come back and be productive. If he'll take a cut in pay and stick around for cheap that's fine but we still need to bring in a solid QB anyway. Even if Chad can come back and miraculously be productive it won't be until '07...

4. nicolab

nicolab Member

good luck chad (whatever happens)

5. Smizzy

Smizzy Banned

I was concerned last season.

6. Jetsfan4life26

Jetsfan4life26 New Member

I was always concerned. His best option if he stills want to play is to take the pay cut. But if it was me I would be like forget that cut me and take my money.

7. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

If he wants to play, he'll take the pay-cut. If he's a smart guy who realizes that his surgeries probably will disable him from being a starter in the league, then he'll reject the pay-cut and ultimately get cut.

Pretty simple, really..

8. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Yeah the mere fact that they have publicly made aware they want such a big cut speaks volumes of how they feel about Chad. I hope they work something out there will no be winners in this either way, if he is cut huge cap hit if he stays... how wil he feel about the organization that he once loved.

Personal opinion is they will reach some agreement, Chad wants to come back and prove the critics all wrong in th worst way, probaly what led to last years injury :sad:

9. Brady IS Overrated

Brady IS Overrated New Member

It's obviously not an ideal situation, but it has to be done. No one knows what Chad will ultimately do, but the FO had no choice but to handle things this way. There's no way Chad can count 12 mil on the cap next year.

10. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

At least he has the time to rehab and get ready for training, instead of recovering WHILE participating in training camp. We'll see if the doctors are correct and these are just flook injuries or is our 64 million dollar man too injured to be successful in this league again.

11. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

As much I like Chad and hope he comes back. I agree.

Brady Quinn FTW :smile:

12. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I heard that they wanted Chad to drop 8 mil a year.
    I like the fact that the new FO is doing this. This is much different than years past and it is refreshing.
    Chad has a big, big decision to make and I think he will make the right one by renegotiating.
    If he says no and gets cut, who will sign a QB coming off his second rotator cuff injury?

13. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

It's nothing more than a game of chicken between Chad and a FO that is not as fond of him as past administrations. If Chad digs in his heels and insists on his salary he gets cut and signs a minimum contract but the Jets take a $10M hit on the cap. Result: everybody loses. His only leverage is that the Jets decide that $12M to have him around is better than $10M with him gone. I suspect, however, that the FO will decide that $10M with him gone is preferable and is letting that be known by going public with its demand for him to reduce his salary. He is gonna be forced to take the paycut. If Chad simply refuses to negotiate, I would suspect that he has been told that the likelihood of his returning to past form is very, very slim.

papapump likes this.
  14. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Many tough deceisions to be made. Hold on to your seats. They are going to be moves that I am sure fans might not like. This off season could be the most important maybe in Jets team history.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The title of this thread is "Growing Concern For Chad's Future." I think this is a metaphor for concern for the Jets' future, is it not? While I'm somewhat concerned with Chad's future, I'm much more concerned with where the Jets go from here. We have larger fish to fry than worrying about where Chadwick Pennington goes from here. In fact, Pennington has pocketed $22 Million so far in return for playing in 18 games. If he retired tomorrow, that's not exactly chump change.

He needs to swallow his humungous pride and play for $1 Million per year now. All of his sacrifices for the team and all of the emotionalism aside, that's the bottom line. His wife, his agent, or somebody else (and not discounting himself) needs to give him a reality check about where things stand today, not what they could have been or were expected to be. He needs to look at his Vanguard or Fidelity statement, study the $14 Million or so that he still has in investments and cash after paying taxes and living expenses, and tell himself this has been a pretty good thing. What can I do from here to make it even better? What do I need to do to elongate this run and add to my bottom line? And finances aside, if I do have some semblance of a career left in football, where are my best chances to succeed if my injuries allow it? The answer is, he needs to drastically restructure and stay with the Jets.

He's got to know he's damaged goods. On the open market he's probably not worth 1$ Million per year, but I don't proclaim to be a judge on that. What he does need to come to grips with is, the Jets are willing to keep him and pay him $1 Million this year and a chance to earn much more in incentives. If I were Chad, I'd be asking my agent where to sign.

16. MN_Jet_Fan

MN_Jet_Fan New Member

i am really coming to the realization that this staff is not impressed with pennington and will be looking to replace him in the next year or 2 max.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I really can't blame them. What has Pennington done besides wave a towel around?

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. You get it totally.

We need guys in the FO who play hardball when it has to be played. A professional football team simply cannot shell out that kind of money for somebody who may not even play.

There is not one person on this board who does not like Chad as a person, and even wishes that he miraculously returns to 2002 form.

Somewhere reality has to creep in. The Jets have to do things that will protect the franchise's future.

Loved the post.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Chad's a nice guy and I do understand his point about "laying it all on the line" for the Jets. But that's what the $22 Million was for. It's a wash as far as I'm concerned. The Jets owe Chad Pennington nothing.

It's obvious the front office sees it this way too, otherwise they wouldn't be unabashedly offering him an 87% pay cut. He needs to do this, or something close to this. My guess is the Jets and Chad settle for something in the vicinity of $1.5 Million with some nice incentives should he start and succeed. That should be case closed as far as I'm concerned and we need to move on.

If Leinart or Young are on the clock at #4, I think the Jets would be nuts not to consider taking one of them... just my opinion.

19. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up although I might still be inclined to sign a FA QB instead of drafting Leinart. I really do like Young at #4. If Chad unwisely decides not to bite the bullet and gets cut, I'd love to see the Jets sign Favre and Owens to one year deals (a complete fantasy, I know...)

20. AlToon

AlToon Member

Time to turn the page with Chad.How many QB's or MLB pitchers have come back from rotator cuff surgeries?