Gronk retires (Un-retires and signs with Bucs)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GWjet, Mar 24, 2019.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I don't need to 'get over' anything, as all you did in this post is heap your opinions on the matter.
    Opinions that I find misguided and exaggerated at best.

I'll leave it at this.
    If you could pick any QB coming out of college to lead your franchise, a franchise w/o Belichick as coach, it would not be Br*dy at the top of the list.
    If you did make it Br*dy, you'd be a fool imo.
    Would be a different story without getting spoon fed the opponents defensive play calls, while having stellar defense, special teams, and coaching adjustments on your own sideline.
    No QB has ever stepped into such an ideal situation, not even close.
    Your claim that Br*dy dictates the game is again a function of coaching; preparedness and game planning. He's following a well prepared script, which does not impress me nearly as much as QB's who win on their own improvisation.

Guys like Peyton, Brees and Rodgers are their team. Take them away from their teams, and those teams typically fall apart.
    Br*dy is not in that category.
    Belichick manages to find wins with sub par QB's when Br*dy is injured or suspended for cheating, as he's always a step ahead of the league.
    I dislike Belichick quite a bit, but he's the reason for the continued success in NE.
    I only wish he'd have left sooner, so everyone can see the posers Br*dy and Kraft are without him.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Manning won 2 SB. One when he sucked and had the best defense in the league. Once when he was in his prime and had a 1000 yard back in Addai, Marvin Harrison, a HOF wide receiver, Dallas Clark an all pro TE and Dominick Rhodes and Reggie Wayne a guy with a shot at the HOF.

He also had a HOF head coach. Brady made Payton look like trash head to head in big games.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know you guys want it to be an either/or thing, but when a team is that dominant for that long, it probably isn't.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Brady is the worst thing to happen to Montana...

Biggs likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I was going to send you a "Gronk if you like Chun Ki Ho" bumper sticker with gronks mug on one side and Kraft's on the other...

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Everyone who's talking up Belly as a way of down playing Brady's greatness must seem to forget that Bill coached in Cleveland too. 4 or 5 seasons. All losing years except for one. Career losing record without Brady. Didn't win his 1st year in N.E with Drew Bledsoe neither.

Brady replaced Drew and the rest was history. Bill never wins a single ring without building around Brady.

With that said I'm happy to see Gronk retired. Brady can make anyone look great however I feel Gronk was Brady's All-Time favorite target.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Belichick was last coach to win a playoff game in Cleveland.
    If Moddell doesn't pull the plug on the city, that team was primed to take off, with an excellent coaching staff and FO.

He's won multiple Super Bowls as a DC, and won plenty of games with weak QB's in NE, with I believe a 16-6 record.
    Remind me what Br*dy has accomplished without Belichick?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Neglecting to include the cheating involved when discussing any of Br*dy, B*l*ch*ck, Kr*ft, etc. invalidates the conversation.

BacktoQueens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. Thank you.This constantly gets overlooked.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He had 5 losing seasons in his 6 seasons in Cleveland including going 5 and 11 after his 1 playoff appearance. He went 5 and 11 in his first season with NE with Bledsoe as his QB. He won the SB in his second year when Bledsoe was injured and replaced with Brady. FYI they lost game one with Bledsoe and lost the game to the Jets when Bledsoe started and threw 2 picks. They went 11 and 4 in the games Brady started that season.

Bellicheck success is tied at the hip to Tom Brady and no doubt it works for Tom Brady.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Except for the Belichick actually only coaching 5 total years in Cleveland, Biggs is totally right. In all of the history of the NFL I can't think of another example of a coach's turnaround in winning percentage based on one player. Pre Brady: <42% (over 96 games), post Brady: just under 80%.

It's truly remarkable (and sickening) how the perfect storm was created up north. The blending of Belichick, Brady (including his willingness to take less than market value), Scharnechia, cheating, general AFC east ineptitude, etc. Over such a long time has been amazing.

How people can say that it's all Belichick and Brady is just a system QB is beyond me.

Biggs and westiedog1 like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thanks Mo Lewis!

FJF likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Montana, unlike Brady was the quintessential system QB.

If you look at Brady he has won running the ball, with the short passing game, with the deep passing game totally dependent on the personal and the situation. He is the ultimate none system QB.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was talking about legacy.

Until very recently, people debated who was the best QB ever.

Now they debate who's the 2nd best QB.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Marino.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Totally.

Marino was the best pure passer I've ever seen.

His release and stroke was amazing.

If only the Dolphins were a better team all around... :confused:

18. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

AFC east ineptitude has nothing to do with it, their winning percentage is just as high as against the rest of the league.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...atriots-dominance-over-teams-outside-afc-east

And they went 7-0 against playoff teams last season

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fourth quarter, your team is up by four, 56 seconds left on the clock, the opponents just fair caught a punt on their ten yard line. You look down there and see Marino. You know you're gonna lose.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I know we're supposed to hate division rivals...but Marino was something else.