Gregg Rosenthal: Mark Sanchez leaves game with shoulder injury

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Denny, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...sanchez-leaves-jets-game-with-shoulder-injury

The embarrassing New York Jets quarterback situation went from bad to worse late in the fourth quarter of a half-empty Metlife Stadium on Saturday night.

Playing behind the third-string offensive line, Mark Sanchez took a big shot from New York Giants defensive lineman Marvin Austin. Sanchez crumpled to the ground in pain. After trying to throw some passes on the sideline, Sanchez made it clear to the team trainers that he couldn't continue playing. He got his right shoulder iced after the injury, and then trotted to the locker room.

Sanchez didn't even enter the game until midway through the fourth quarter, after Geno Smith was picked off three times. Smith's night ended on an embarrassing safety where he ran out of the back of the end zone by mistake.

It looked for most of Saturday night that Sanchez was going to win the Jets' starting job by default. If Sanchez can't get healthy quick, it's going to be Smith's job. By default. This is a competition that will end with no winners.*

Why would you play Sanchez here? I like Rex but this was a dumb thing. Was Mark needing to prove he could better against scrubs to show he is actually better than Geno? Is that what Rex was thinking here? Geno might get his shot after all.

#1 Denny, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

It is by far the most laughable QB "competition" in the history of the NFL.

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Why don't you just buy into the Jets beat writers mantra????? Some Jets fans are just lemmings.

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Well looks like all the Geno lovers will get their wish. Mark is a better QB right now as was very evident tonight. What the fuck was he doing even playing. The jets have ruined Sanchez among othe players

5. dr.velociraptor

What did Sanchez do tonight beside fumble the ball and get hurt? Geno was awful, but nothing Sanchez has done shows he's won the competition from anything other than default.

6. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

Never underestimate the heart of a chicano, Sanchez will be ready by game 1

yet somehow his detractors will still refer to his durability as some punchline of a joke

7. RochesterJet

He threw 3 nice passes to players that won't make the team. If you can't see the clear difference between a rookie who ran out of the back of the end zone and threw three picks to Sanchez in the previous two games, then I don't know what to tell you.

8. dr.velociraptor

Yeah you're right this has been an exceptional QB competition between two stout QBs, how they'll make this decision is beyond me.

9. RochesterJet

Geno smith is not ready, it was very evident this evening.

10. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Played in the NFL at a replacement level for 2 years (2010,and 2011)

11. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

Sanchez injury didn't look that bad did it?

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It was a competition between a raw rookie and a veteran who wouldn't even be on the team but for his contract. I guess the competition in Buffalo is going much better now that they are on their third string QB. The Oakland QBs are tearing it up also. And Rivers is lighting things up on that super talented SD team with that high powered offense. What did the Giants first string show tonight? That they can't move the ball 20 yards. Other than that first run, their offense did nothing. ARe they headed for 0-16??

13. dr.velociraptor

Yeah no, you're right, this QB competition has been fantastic, mea culpa. We got two studs here, how they'll make a decision I don't know, I'll leave it to the guys making big money. It's like choosing between a young Joe Montana and Mike Vick.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The competition right now is between NOT HIM and not ready.

In that situation a rebuilding team probably holds its breath and goes with not ready. If Geno was a high 1st round pick and not ready the situation would be different but he's not. He's the next guy who is going to get a shot to be the Jets franchise QB and in 2014 there will be a high 1st round pick in the slot if he fails.

And BTW, I'm not suggesting that Geno has to play lights out or the Jets will move heaven and earth to get Teddy Bridgewater. He just has to show that he's adjusting to the NFL game and getting better as the year goes along. If he gets 10+ starts the Jets are going to have a pretty good idea if he's the guy they want to go with or if they need to do something else.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't think so but I'm no doctor.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It looked like the shoulder got rolled to me. I'm guessing it's going to be really sore this week. Whether it's going to keep him from throwing is the question.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Very nice post.

18. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

Geno Smith=Sanchez 2.0

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno was bad but he's a rookie I expect these kind of growing pains. If Sanchez can't play week 1 then Geno should start IMO.

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

one game jackass.

you can't be this impatient, you simply cannot be.