Greg Williams Installing Attacking Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 31, 2019.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We have a crazy DC and crazy HC. It really is a breath of fresh air. Lol

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Attacking defenses are big play defenses.

We’ll give up a huge run or pass every now and then but constant pressure is worth it because sacks and INTs are game changing plays.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

One big thing that hurt the defense under Bowles was having his buddy Kacy Rodgers as the DC - he was WAAAAAAAAY out of his depth. The defense played better (not great, but better) when Bowles took over while Rodgers was recuperating.

Aside from that though, the best defense against today's pass-oriented offenses is getting to the QB before he has time to set up and pick you apart. And I don't care how good your secondary is, if you allow a decent QB time to operate they will put points on the board - that in fact is what the NFL wants. So the whole "read and react" defense is a losing proposition to begin with. Add in the fact that the Jets have not had any above average pass rushers since the internal combustion engine was invented, and it's not at all surprising why they struggled. The only thing that's surprising is why it took the Johnsons so long to figure all this out. Well scratch that, I'm NOT surprised, just pissed off that someone who owns a team can know so little, in fact, so little that they don't even know how little they know!

Anyway, I expect the defense to be massively better this year between new coaches, and added players, and a new scheme.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan was right in one regard. [Sorry for this reference]

It is this [time the QB has with the ball in his hands] that we must do all we can to shorten and limit. [From this 4-6 defense book.] With sufficient time and protection, any QB will look like the second coming of Joe Montana. Ask Bowles.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, Rex was a good DC, but not a very good HC IMO. He seemed to believe that all he had to do was create a great defense and he could win. He didn't knw enough about offense to realize how the one that got him to two AFCCG was weakened by age and loss and non-replacement of key players. While I really don't like the whole "We now have essentially two HCs, one for the "O" and one for the "D") at least there will be knowledgeable people on both sides of the ball.

egelband, Stagman and boozer32 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rex also preached pressure
    Rex also preached pressure up the middle was best pressure of all, as it's right in the QB's face, forces him off his spot, and denies him clean passing lanes. If Quinnen is 1/2 as good as the 'experts' say his is, we're in good shape!

egelband likes this.
  8. boozer32

Finally, the team has matched the front office and owner lol.

Brook! likes this.
  9. boozer32

Absolutely!!!! It was torture watching the defense for the last 4 years. No adjustments and no pressure. Teams needed a score they usually got it.

10. boozer32

Many good points. If Bowles defense was "pressure oriented" they never drafted anyone that could bring pressure. Just a bunch of lumbering DT/DE. Rodgers was awful and Bowles was even worst since he wouldn't fire him. That one game Rodgers was out due to personal reasons and Bowles took over was the best the Jets defense looked since his first season.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I hope this thing works out for the Jets I really really do.

I'm not in favor of all the power Gase has been given still I did want him & Williams here. I like Gase's upside and he's the first offensive minded HC the Jets have had in a loooooooong time.

I've always liked Williams style of defense going back to his days with the Titans.

IF it's gonna work out for these guys and by work out I mean win a Super Bowl I think it has to happen right away in year 1 or 2. The NY media is ready to pounce on these guys big time so they'll need the bullet proof vest that winning a championship provides if they're gonna make it here.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I am so happy we are going back to an attacking D... That's the way to play it imo.
    How many games did we lose with Bowles playing conservative D with a minimal lead?

Bringing on Williams was a great addition.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Totally agree!!! You win the thread !!!!

Just do be a mini Debbie downer here as a long suffering fan who used to pull his hair out with Rex defense big plays. We need to make sure we have the personnel to run it well.

Also, I concede that when it’s 3rd and 13 and Adams gets a leading with the helmet penalty for being over aggressive, it will hurt.

But yes overall I prefer to dictate the game, at the risk of big plays. Versus cover 2 from 20 to 20

I’m not saying I’m right. I just feel like aggressive defense works well with the physical aspect and emotion of football

FlaJet likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Bend don't break is the way to win in today's NFL. Rex's defenses were very good at preventing yards. They were terrible in preventing points when he didn't have a totally stacked team with two cover corners. Offenses tend to implode when they need to dink and dunk down the field. The two most called penalties in the NFL last year were holding followed by false starts. Both are drive killers. The 3rd, 4th and 5th most called penalties were Defensive pass interference followed by Defensive holding followed by unnecessary roughness. All 3 are huge drive extenders and are caused by aggressive attack mode defenses.

Make the O dink and dunk down the field and when the field is squeezed keep them out of the end-zone. Let the O make the critical penalty mistake to kill their drive, don't extend their drive by being overly aggresive.

themorey and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well that sounds boring....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Losing football is a total buzz kill.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see numbers that supports a "bend don't break" approach.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

Almost all of them.

19. boozer32

That never works. Only thing a prevent defense prevents is your team winning.

20. boozer32

I would rather lose attacking then watch a team just march down the field with no pressure on it. Bend but don't break is for losers.

NY Jets68 and BacktoQueens like this.