Green pants in opener

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Sep 16, 2015.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Correct me if I am wrong, but was that the first time in Jets history that they wore green pants to open the season?

It seems we usually don't bring those out until mid-season, or for a late season playoff run. The white on green looked fierce to open the year. I hope it continues.

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

white on white is our best look, but the green pants work too. its a chromatic reversal of our home jerseys, it balances just as well with our white helmet.

green on green is my least favorite arrangement in our current set up, the balance is just off altogether.

Royal Tee, Murrell2878 and alleycat9 like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like it better when they wear their skinny jeans.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Throwback skinny jeans

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Matt Snell was a beast in his skinny jeans.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I never heard the word "fierce" apply to vomit-inducing ugly ass olive drab grey green.

_

DaBallhawk and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I actually liked the green pants a lot better this week. Probably because the guys wearing them were winning. They wore white on green for the upset in Foxborough so it has fond memories.

8. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

I like all of our color combinations when our uniforms were actually green. Since Nike ruined our uniforms I find the team to be an eyesore during day games no matter the uniform combination. Either fix the brown/puke/army green thing or just redesign the uniforms altogether.

9. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to tell who the guy posters are, and who the gal posters are on this site.

10. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Would it change your opinion of the content?

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

there's one Patriots fan on this site who pretends to be female (and not a Patriots fan).
    other than that, it's all dudes.

but it doesn't take a queer eye to know split pea soup green is an awful color.

12. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Speaking of Matt Snell, Did you happen to se this Costello article on the Post yesterday? I don't know if he's a good reporter or not, and I did't search the web to see if there was anymore on this. Do you, or any of the other GangGreeners know the story on why he shuns the Jets?

http://nypost.com/2015/09/15/super-bowl-iii-hero-in-no-mood-to-end-decades-long-jets-boycott/

Matt Snell still has the broad shoulders you remember. Even at 74, you can see the frame that made him a professional athlete.

As he walks toward you, making his way through the garage of his Jersey City construction business, his gait is slow, but you picture him with the big green No. 41 on his back.

On Tuesday, he was walking between a blue Cadillac and a gray, vintage 1960s Corvette, but in your mind he always is running around the left end and Winston Hill’s block into the Orange Bowl end zone on that January day in 1969.

Snell extends his hand with the same smile he had in 1973, when Miller Lite picked him to be the first athlete featured in its commercials.

The smile disappears and the posture changes, though, when you tell him you are here to ask him about the Jets.

“I have nothing to say about them,” Snell said.

The Jets travel to Indianapolis to face the Colts on Monday night. Even though Mayflower moving trucks moved the team from Baltimore more than 30 years ago, whenever the Jets and Colts get together on a football field, you are reminded of Super Bowl III and the Jets’ 16-7 upset of Don Shula’s mighty Colts.

Joe Namath is remembered as the hero of that game for his guarantee and was named the MVP, but in many people’s eyes Snell deserved the award. He ran 30 times for 121 yards and the team’s only touchdown. He was essential in the Jets’ ball-control attack that day.

Snell should be one of the franchise’s biggest legends. Instead, he wants nothing to do with it. No one is quite sure exactly why.

“There’s a lot of water under that bridge,” is all Snell would say Tuesday.

The most popular version of the story among his former teammates is the team promised Snell a job after he retired in 1972 and never delivered.

“He’s not too beholden to the Jets,” said Pete Lammons, a tight end from 1966 to 1971. “I haven’t talked to him in a long time, but the last time I did, he was just a little put out with the Jets and how they handled his deal.”

The Jets have tried to repair the relationship repeatedly in recent years. He has been invited to reunions of the 1968 team and other alumni functions, but he won’t even return phone calls from the team.

Everyone who was in charge of the Jets at the time of Snell’s retirement is dead. There are new people from owner Woody Johnson on down.

To Snell, it does not matter.

“Those people there now don’t owe me anything,” Snell said. “I’ll be gone soon, too.”

A fourth-round draft pick by the Giants in 1964 out of Ohio State, Snell decided to sign with Sonny Werblin’s AFL Jets instead for a lot more money. He was the AFL Rookie of the Year that season after rushing for 948 yards and scoring six touchdowns.

“I think Matt was as great a runner as just about anybody that played,” said Hall of Fame wide receiver Don Maynard. “Not only that, he was a great protector or pass blocker and lead blocker for [Emerson] Boozer. And, if you look at the stats, one year he might have caught two or three more passes than I did [1964, when Snell caught 56 passes to Maynard’s 46]. He was a great player and teammate.”

An Achilles injury derailed Snell’s career after an All-Pro year in 1969. He hung around for a few more years, then retired. His 4,285 career rushing yards remain the fourth-most in franchise history behind just Curtis Martin, Freeman McNeil and Boozer.

The Jets have done a good job of honoring past players in recent years. They established the Ring of Honor in 2010, and it feels like there is a vacancy until Snell is inducted.

Would he show up at MetLife Stadium if the team wanted to pay tribute?

“I’m not interested in being honored,” he said.

Not even for the fans?

“Fans today with all of their instant everything, they don’t know who I am,” Snell said.

He’s wrong about that. Jets fans have not had a ton of reasons to celebrate through the years. Snell and his teammates provided the biggest one. Jets fans will never forget that, even if it seems he wishes they would.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

They should all be wearing white cleats in honour of Joe Willie. That should be our thing.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Those old enough remember, and still applaud you, Matt. We appreciate your efforts for a much longer period than those three hours in the Orange Bowl. We share your feeling of not being appreciated by those in the Jets office; we share your feelings of being taken for granted, we share broken promises and unfulfilled hopes. We still have hopes for the future and appreciation of the past. Don't turn your back on the fans because the team may have turned its back on you - find a way to get yourself to the Stadium to get that 41 up on the wall where it has long belonged. You'll see you haven't been forgotten. Thank you.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Beware of the PC trap being set by Faux machine.

NoodleArm likes this.
  16. Faux machine

So now you're bashing transgendered people?

17. I want a uniform change. A complete overhaul. Keep the primary colors.They wouldn't be the Jets without the Green.But this team needs a COMPLETE rebranding. The post lockout Ryan Jets were an extremely unpleasant experience.Those teams wore these same uni's.We need a clean slate after that trainwreck.A true statement of change.

18. Faux machine

As long as it's not one of those horrific lime green and black Nike monstrosities I've seen, I agree.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Whatcha got in mind? Any prototype photos?

[​IMG]

#19 onefanjet, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  20. Faux machine

onefanjet likes this.