Great Film Breakdown on Darnold Against the Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Watching this makes me want to spend all 8 picks we have on offense to help Sam.

FJF likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

By no means is Darnold the problem with this team. Will he become a HOF'er? Too early to say, and that's a really high bar. You don't need a HOF'er at QB to win a SB (but it helps!). IMO he's definitely a FQB, and given good talent around him can take them to the SB. The big question is: will they upgrade the OL and weapons for him?

BomberJet and Noam like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I feel like this breakdown is clearly accurate to anyone consistently watching the Jets. That’s why I would almost completely ignore the defense this offseason, because regression occurs when a QB consistently has this type of situation and an anxiousness becomes part of his game. They’ve got to surround him with talent before it’s too late and he loses his developmental momentum. I would take a major defensive regression if it came with a major offensive progression, because defensively you can infuse talent. With a QB, you can create an unfixable situation so it indisputably the priority.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am already worried it has become too late?

Next year is massive in this regard but Gase???

I really want him to succeed, he has so many plus points and also I am desperate for us to be better lol

5. MaximusD163

It’s not too late, he’s so young and the pressure hasn’t dropped yet. If they act now I think it should be fine.

K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We can live in hope but the OL is a major need.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Yeah agreed. Thats why I want them to just keep Poole and Jenkins...maybe add another cornerback and we're really fine. Save the rest of the cap and picks for the offense.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I can understand why the op would feel like this after watching this video. However I’m sure he and all of us know spending all 8 picks on one side of the ball - regardless offense or defense - is not the proper solution and will cause havoc at some point down the road.

The Jets need a lot of help - we all know where. The draft should definitely be tilted towards the offense which is the weaker unit. I would think two OL, two WR, perhaps a RB would go a long way towards supplementing whoever JD acquires in FA.

As far as defense the Jets really need to come away with at least a starting CB and maybe another for depth or possibly an EDGE player at some point if one isn’t signed in FA.

9. Quinnenthebeast

I was exaggerating of course, but even if we made 0 moves on defense, it was more than serviceable unit especially with Gregg Williams. Getting Mosley back and potentially Avery Williamson back will be enough to make this a solid defense. Its obviously not a realistic or sustainable solution but our offense was worst in the league and that was caused by a decade of basically ignoring it each offseason.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. mrjet80

Exactly. This is an offensive league nowadays. The OL controls the entire flow of the game. That needs to be completely rebuilt and JD can do that this season with the proper FA moves and draft selections. He should easily come out of this draft with 2 WRs and that’s including selecting an OT with #11.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What is this kid's blog called, "Captain Obvious Talks Football?" If there's a single original idea there I missed it among his commercials for himself.

12. MaximusD163

I certainly don’t want the defense literally ignored, I just mean offense with the first two picks and top 2-3 free agent signings.

13. MaximusD163

To me if Jeudy is there, he’s the guy I want. I think he’s the only one who outranks OT for me. Lamb is enticing but Jeudy helps out Sam more with his pinpoint route running.

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. mrjet80

Trust me the offense will be the priority this offseason but I do expect a rather high selection of a CB - possibly an EDGE too at some point. I figure if JD signs a CB in FA and drafts one let’s say in the 3rd round that pretty much revamps the secondary - a major problem last year. 2 new starting CBs to go with Adams and Maye. Austin and maybe Maulet as solid depth - maybe Austin continues to rise and becomes a starter himself eventually.

15. MaximusD163

I see it the same way.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We need balance. But we have a first and second round pick invested at both safety spots, $24+ million at inside linebacker, and a collection of no name goons that can stop the run even when the third string defensive tackles are in there.

Certainly all 8 picks are an exaggeration to spend on offense. But if we did it, I wouldn't be upset. This is a great offensive draft especially at all the skill positions. Runningback is deep and we all know about receiver. Next year is supposed to be a good defensive draft.

That's why I wanna throw my fucking phone against the wall when I hear of us potentially spending $15+ million on a corner and being interested in Clowney (at likely $20 million).

NYJFOREVER, dawinner127 and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. mrjet80

Well your phone is safe because neither is gonna happen. The CB JD signs will probably not be top tier and certainly not $15 million. I’m guessing a decent CB probably not a #1 but decent. Clowney will not be coming here - way too expensive and to me he’s over rated anyway. You might see a guy like Fowler brought in who shouldn’t cost as much.

There will be a lot of offense added this off season - the whole unit needs to practically be rebuilt - outside of starting QB for a change. Personally I’m expecting 3 possibly 4 new OL, 2 WRs, and another RB and don’t forget a reasonable back up for Darnold.

Once we see who is brought in during FA the mock drafts can be narrowed down to more exact needs.

18. MaximusD163

You gotta remember that the Jets want incorrect reports out at this time, to keep their intentions close to the vest.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. So far we are interested in every O line, Wide receiver, edge, and cornerback on the market. And some that aren't. I think they are sending out more rumors than I have seen in the past. Connected to everyone. But I'm guess a lot is a huge smokescreen.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

True enough. Sometimes though, where there's smoke, there's fire.

I hope we're bluffing big on a lot of these. They aren't being funneled through national channels though, a lot of these are coming from Connor Hughes and Cimini. So that's what worries me.