Great Article about the Jets today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CleanFernandez, Sep 21, 2009.

1. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

Jets 16 Patriots 9: A Major Statement
    by John B on Sep 20, 2009 7:55 PM EDT 39 comments

More photos by Bill Kostroun - AP
    Browse more photos

The Jets are incredibly 2-0 and in sole control of first place of the AFC East after a 16-9 win over the Patriots, snapping New England's 8 game winning streak in the Meadowlands against Gang Green. This was not a wild game like last year's Thursday classic. There is no doubt the Jets were the better team this Sunday. This was a statement to the rest of the league this team with a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach is for real.

More after the jump.

The Good:

Mark Sanchez: For the second straight week, the opponent forced the rookie quarterback to make plays to win the game. For the second straight week, the rookie quarterback delivered. The Pats always seemed to have a safety flying up when the Jets tried to run the ball. The Jets didn't have Sanchez put it up much in the first half and with good reason. On his first drop back, he was stripped for a loss of 17. The rest of the half, he didn't look comfortable. His 5 throws were generally off target, and he looked afraid to attack. The Jets opened things up in the second half. Sanchez went 11 for 17 with 148 yards, a touchdown, and most importantly, no interceptions. He guided a successful passing offense and allowed the Jets to churn out long drives. The defense spent a lot of time on the field in the first half and seemed to tire during the second quarter. If the D didn't get the rests Sanchez provided, it might have been a different game.

The play that impressed me most was on his final passing play. The Jets called a roll out to the right, which was right into a Patriots blitz. Had Sanchez hit a third down pass on the play, they would have been able to run out the clock. Not coverting meant giving Tom Brady one last chance. Sanchez ate the ball when nothing was there instead of throwing it up tyring to make something happen. That was the right decision. A lot of young players try to do too much in big spots. If Sanchez tried to force a pass in that spot, it could have resulted in disaster. He showed a poise and maturity beyond his years. The Jets could have something special. He outplayed a legend today.

The Pass Rush: It's not hyperbole to say that depending on how the second half of his career goes, Tom Brady has a chance to go down as the greatest quarterback ever. The Jets held him under 50% throwing the ball today, 23 for 47. He averaged a lousy 4.5 yards per attempt. That's because Rex Ryan's blitzing schemes had him under constant pressure. On just about half the times he dropped back, he was either hit or hurried. The Jets did not sack him, but today shows how overrated that stat can be. A year ago, the Jets were among the league leaders in sacks, but they didn't generate pressure consistently. Quarterbacks had all day to throw and go through their progressions. Today was just the opposite. Brady didn't have time to make reads. He was forced to deliver early. It gave the Jets secondary an edge like on the play Brady couldn't snap it off, his ball hung, and Lito Sheppard had time to recover and break up a touchdown. All of the shots he took seemed to make him skittish because he was inaccurate when he had time. Brady was facing a rookie, but he looked like a rookie today. How many times do you ever see him not throw a touchdown pass or get shut out in the second half? This was an incredible game by the defense.

Darrelle Revis: For the second straight week, Revis completely took a top five receiver out of the game. Randy Moss had 4 catches for 24 yards. Revis was a sure tackler, limiting the great wideout's long to 9 yards. He shadowed Moss the entire game and beat him to record an interception. After the first two weeks, how can anybody doubt that Revis is the best corner in football? Moss and Andre Johnson haven't belonged on the same field as him.

Donald Strickland: This guy just keeps on impressing. Aside from one missed tackle, Donald made all the plays in the open field. This system leaves corners alone, and receivers will run free unless tackling is sure. Strickland had 8 in the game and defensed a few passes.

Jay Feely: Big streaks of made field goals always seem to end at the most costly times. Even though all three field goals Feely made were inside 40 yards, there was a ton of pressure on him in a game this big. I at least was nervous. Maybe it was because he shanked a short kick against the Pats last year. Maybe it was because Doug Brien scarred me for life. Either way, Feely provided the winning margin.

Leon Washington's returns:
    He constantly set the Jets up in great field position with a 31 yard average and a long of 43.

Coverage units: Mike Westhoff's team limited any big returns from New England. The Pats averaged under 20 on kickoff returns and did nothing on punt returns. Standouts Wallace Wright and Ahmad Carroll both had big hits. So many times these games get decided on special teams blunders.

Jerricho Cotchery: The number one receiver stepped up as the biggest part of the passing game in the second half. He had 4 catches for 87 yards. His 45 yard catch and run on the first play of the second half seemed to ignite the offense.

The home crowd: I guess it isn't fair to judge how the crowd is watching on television, but it doesn't seem like it's been that loud in the Meadowlands for a Jets game since the Green Bay game in 2002. It clearly rattled the Pats with all of the penalties they had. From the first play of the game, Tom Brady stuck his hands over his earholes because it was so loud. Brady seldom has delay of game penalties, let alone two in a row. It's clear he was distracted. The home fans took the team to another place. Keep it up, guys. Make this place a nightmare for the opposition the rest of the year.

Dwight Lowery's game ender: Lowery made a great play on the ball on fourth down to ice it. I'm starting to expect big things for Dwight. He has a nose for the ball. His lack of speed leaves him vulnerable when he has to cover players over a long stretch, but with blitzes forcing quick throws, he's going to be a player.

The Bad:

Three terrible calls: That would be the Leon Washington "fumble," Bart Scott's "personal foul," and Lito Sheppard's "illegal contact." Replays showed the ball didn't come out until Washington was on the ground. Fine, you couldn't see exactly when it came out from the camera angle, but when the ball pops out over a second after his knee hits, you can say with certainty it wasn't a fumble. Scott didn't touch anybody and got flagged for 15 yards. Sheppard literally brushed a receiver and got called for contact. That helped give the Pats 6 points. The defense may have only given up a field goal if not for these calls.

Dan Dierdorf's reaction to the three bad calls: He defended all three. The worst was when he claimed Bart Scott kicked a guy. Dan, a kick is swinging your leg at and connecting with somebody. Not walking near a guy.

Stuckey's footwork on the goal line: On back to back plays on the third quarter, Chansi Stuckey didn't drag his foot near the end zone sideline and fell down when wide open with a pass floating to him in the end zone. These were not easy plays, but he didn't look aware of his spot on the field, especially on the first one.

First half offense: I get why they didn't attack in the first half. They still want to avoid putting too much on offense, but that was an awful effort. The Jets didn't execute. Nice adjustment letting it fly in the second half, though.

Other Thoughts:

I don't want to hear the Pats missed Wes Welker. His replacement, Julian Edelman, was New England's best player with 8 catches for 98 yards. He played the same shifty slot role as Welker.
    The Pats did miss Jerod Mayo a lot. The Jets had a ton of success moving the ball in the second half, and the Pats don't have a ton of defensive talent.
    Kudos to Rex for not using the prevent. I hate the prevent. You've dominated the opponent by attacking all game. Don't start giving up yards and potentially letting them get into a rhythm. That burned the Jets in Foxborough last year. The Pats couldn't move the ball in the last series because Brady had to get rid of it so quickly.
    What a start to the season! The Jets look like they could be in for a very special year. They're a year ahead of schedule at this point. If nothing else, the East will be a dogfight, not a walkover for once. Just keep it in perspective. There are still 14 games left. Seasons can change in an instant. The Bills looked like world beaters early last season. The Jets looked like a real contender after crushing the Titans and fell apart just as quickly.

With that said let us all savor this win. This was a statement game. Last year, Brady was out, and the Jets were renting Brett Favre. This one feels like an announcement the Jets are here to stay. Sanchez and Ryan aren't going anywhere, and this team can stand toe to toe with the Pats.

By: John B- http://www.ganggreennation.com/2009/9/20/1045760/jets-16-patriots-9-a-major?ref=yahoo

2. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Agree with a lot of it. But anyone who calls Brady the best QB ever must be on drugs or getting paid by him.

3. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

bart scott's call was a good call, not sure what this guy was seeing. other then that, not bad.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

idk man, Brady, right now, has to be considered an all time top 10 qb. if he has a great 2nd half of his career, he could be considered #1.

5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

6. ........

........ Trolls

If he had never gotten hurt, they may have continued their run and merited that kind of talk. As is, he's at least very much in the conversation.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dan Dierdorf's reaction to the three bad calls: He defended all three. The worst was when he claimed Bart Scott kicked a guy. Dan, a kick is swinging your leg at and connecting with somebody. Not walking near a guy.

seriously ruined the commentary for me

8. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

It was an awesome game to see the Jets on top. I have to say that I felt the Jets bent a bit at the half, but there was no way they were gonna break. 9-3 Pats at the half and all points in the first half was courtasey off field goals.

Great kick return by Leon Washington and fabulous catch and yac's for Cotchery. Dustin Keller is doing a job on that 9yd grab in the endzone & that would be that. I had a great feeling they were going to get the win, but I must admit I was a bit cautious at the same time.

GREAT GAME! AWESOME PERFORMENCE!

9. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

While the replays showed that Scott didn't actually deliver a kick, from the angel that the ref had it looked a lot more suspect. Combine that with Scott's pregame comments about punching Pats, and I can understand why a flag was thrown.

Ultimately a bad call, but an understandable one.

10. paulpark_bayside

paulpark_bayside New Member

Great point about the constant pressure but no sacks. Sacks are definitely an overrated stat as we didn't have a single sack today, but managed to knock Brady down a whole bunch of times making him uncomfortable all day. Love the new attitude on DEFENSE! It's early in the season, but who thought we would be 2-0 after these two games?? I think any Jet fan would have signed up for 1-1, maybe 0-2 with signs of improvement. looking good REX! looking forward to a great season!

11. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

I don't know about this. I'd say top 15 if not top 20. Plus it really all depends upon what aspects you involve.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I hope somebody investigates whether Scott gets fined. You normally get fined after a personal foul for violence, don't you? Might answer the question if he's not.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

He retracted it and said it was "an optical illusion" and that he DID NOT kick him.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

You know, Brady is the best player on that field at the start of the game. Ryan knew this, and unlike a lot of dunces who have their D sit back and let the best player make the decisions, he went after the best player and forced him out of his comfort zone. Why all coaches (Mangini,are you listening) do not do this, I don't know.

#14 jdon, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I don't know if I can listen to Dan Dierdorf anymore. He tries to be too much like Monday Night Football.

I watched the replay intently and Bart Scott absolutely did not kick the guy when he was down. I can see why a ref would have called it that way though depending on the angle he had on the play.

Leon's fumble: It probably wasn't a fumble, but there was nothing concusive to over-turn the ruling on the filed.

Sheppard's penalty: Legitimate - you can't have contact after 5 yards.

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

yeah im not gonna lie, I thought that live, that bart had given a shove with his leg, I didnt think he wound up and kicked him... but i saw the flag fly and started swearing because I thought he did it. So if the ref had the same angle the TV cameraman did, I understand the flag.

That said, the opposite angle that came up showed scott slowing down, while edelman just rolled at the perfect time to create such an optical illusion....

That said the flag on Sheppard on 3rd down, was complete BS, and would have ended that drive without a fieldgoal either....

17. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

agreed. I think it's too difficult to say "X is the best QB/WR/RB ever," because each player can be the greatest in his own way. As much as I hate Brady and hope he has a terrible season, the dude can play football. Anyone who leaves him out of a discussion of the top QB of all time is letting their anti-pats bias get the best of them

18. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

interesting point on Stuckey and footwork. On the one-footed TD, I actually thought that he tangled feet with the defender and that caused the misstep, but the fade in the corner, that was a guaranteed TD.

19. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

The Bart Scott kick call was a total optical illusion; when I watched it live I “saw” him kick that dude…I was like how stupid was that? Then – in the replay you could see he clearly didn’t kick him…in fact barely touched him.

It was a weird deal.

20. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Are you kidding? He is without question in that debate. Top 5 all time and you can make an argument for him at 1.

Just because he looks a little shaky after being away from the game for a year does not mean he has undone all the amazing things in his career. The guy is as clutch as they come.