Goodbye from the Jets, Rashard Robinson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, May 10, 2019.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Another good use of a late round pick.

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Do i remember correctly the first time this guy saw the field he got burned for a long td because he fell face forward?

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

This guy was a mugger. His SF lowlights showed him grabbing more receivers than Buster Skine.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Another one of Mac's "brilliant" moves.

Cman68 and tomdeb like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

His batting percentage changing picks for vet players is pretty good. I wouldn’t kill him for this too much. There are enough truly bad moves he made to work with.
    Looking at you hackenberg

Cman68, Noam, Mr mittens and 4 others like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That seems like a bad trade until you realize that Mac would have just picked a WR with the 2018 5th Round Pick and would have waived him today as well.........

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not killing him for this move, just saying that it fits his pattern. He has made some very good trades like for Osemele and Brandon Marshall, and there is probably at least one other player I'm forgetting. It's the overall pattern that really bothers me, not so much individual moves.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

He sucks. No other way to spin it. For guys who watch the game, as soon as he made this move it was a bust.

9. The Dark Knight

This specific move with Robinson was a head scratcher from the moment it happened, if I remember correctly. Everyone thought it was a bad move and Robinson never did a thing to change people's minds. @FJF brought up Hack, but myself and others thought he had potential to succeed. It at least made slight sense. Trading the 5th rounder for Robinson never added up.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Any use of a fifth rounder, whether as trade bait or an actual draft pick, is by definition a longshot. Simple, indisputable fact. Killing a guy for it flies in the face of every statistic known to the NFL.

stinkyB, jonnyd, K'OB and 4 others like this.
  11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

If I recall, it was a pressing need at the time due to injury, and Mac took a chance. It didn't work out. Fairly reasonable chance that the 5th pick would not have worked out either. Fire his ass. C'mon now. As soon as i read this yesterday I chuckled because of all the negative Maccagnan comments it would evoke.

Robinson was an LSU guy, did Adams have any type of relationship with him? Whatever...

12. The Dark Knight

Yep.
    Mac likes taking chances. I like that about him. His success percentage needs to be higher, but I like that more than being conservative.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Another major MCC failure:mad:

tomdeb likes this.
  14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree, and I just saw some data that support it, a student of mine gathered data on every player drafted from 2000 to 2005, and looked at how each player’s Career Approximate Value (pro football reference’s version of a position-neutral measure of performance) related to draft round and position. The pattern is very strong that value steadily drops with round on average from rounds 1 through 5, providing support for scouting (there are also a bunch of busts in the first few rounds too, of course). On the other hand, there is NO evidence of differences in average performance for rounds 5 through 7. Those really do seem to be fliers after about 130 players or so.

There’s also a position effect, but it’s much much weaker. Basically, linemen (especially offensive linemen) tend to outperform their draft round on average by that metric, while tight ends, defensive backs, wide receivers, and fullbacks tend to underperform it.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Or it's partially that teams give higher picks more chances to play, so they get more career AV points even if they aren't any better than the later round guys. I'm also skeptical about the position effect, it could be an error in how AV is calculated across positions.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Edit * picture didn't work.

#16 BacktoQueens, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is what we call a non story.

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There's no doubt that higher round players have longer careers in general, but of course it's impossible to know if that's because they're better or because they get more chances. Still, if you look at career value per game played you see the same effect that the first four rounds have better performances overall, with that performance decreasing round by round, and the later rounds are not distinguishable from each other, with the worst overall performance. I still think the most plausible explanation is that scouts and teams have some clue about the first through fourth rounds, or about 120 players or so, and beyond that it's all about intangibles and unmeasurables and unknowables and coaching, etc. (and even with that there are loads and loads of early round players who flame out). Interestingly, however, if you look at career value per game started, you see the opposite effect, with later rounds having better overall performance. That suggests that bad players don't tend to have long careers no matter where they were drafted, but early round players get more chances to start and prove they're not any good. Only the best late round players ever get a chance to be consistent starters for a team.

No idea bout the position issue; they claim that it is intended to be position-independent, but that doesn't mean that it is.

19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Another way to look at it is, I'm glad Mccagnan finally waived his ass, rather than keeping him around solely for avoiding the criticism of the trade - which it seemed as though he was doing last year. Bad tooth? You pull it. We have all of camp and other FA's to fill the spot. Good timing.

stinkyB likes this.
  20. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

i hear you & you are right. But like others have said, - and I do remember - it was a momentary pressing need & Robinson was probably someone NYJ had their eye on leading up to the year he was drafted.

Problem is, -- this didn't work out on two-fold ==== 1) we lost the 5th round pick, ------- and 2) Robinson was probably not someone any team should've had their eye on leading up to the year he was drafted. So a black mark on both counts. C'mon Mike Maccags.

The Dark Knight likes this.