Good teams replace/upgrade on the fly.. Leon & faneca are not core pieces!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Apr 24, 2010.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

listen guys, we made it to the afc champ last year and we did after losing leon in week 3 or 4. Faneca was the only week link in what was other wise a dominant offensive line. Those are the only main pieces we lost this off season and honestly both were arguably the most expendable "key" players we had on our team.

The colts and pats- two of the better teams over the last decade CONSTANTLY lose "name" players in exchange for younger up and coming players and they don't skip a beat. The colts lost marvin harrison & gonzalez last season and made it to the superbowl! this is the nature of the nfl.

The fact that revis, harris, cro, mangold, brick, greene, and the rest of our talent are left in place makes the loss of faneca and leon all the less serious..

2. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

I totally agree. Notice after getting the CB we go all offense. We addressed some issues on defense through free agency. In this day and age you cannot get to wrapped up in names. Look Leon and Faneca were good players for us but we have to get to the next level.

3. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

very well put my friend. :beer:

:jets:

4. jcjet

jcjet Member

sounds good, look at the Steelers, and Pats

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I don't miss anyone.

Thanks for the service guys.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well said, good thread

7. skipper

skipper Member

Finally, someone is talking sense!!!!!!

8. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

agreed. The only question i have is line chemistry in the run game (not the pass game). That's my only concern.

Otherwise, Leon wasn't a part of the team last year anyways and with the contract issue, he was pretty much gone from the minute greene emerged. He served a vital function before when we were in lack of playmakers, but now we have playmakers in the return game (brad smith and knight for KR's, and wilson for PR's which leon sucked at anyways) and in the backfield. There is no need for him on this team whatsoever. every role he filled (3DB, RB who can catch,change of pace with explosiveness, KR) is now filled

I'm sure sanchez had something to say about mcknight..not that he was the basis for the pick but im sure the FO asked him about him before they drafted him. we'll see, but LT and greene are pretty damn good for now. this just gives us depth and a possible backup plan for when LT retires/leaves. If not, we can address that situation later

Faneca had to be done sooner or later. I'm not sure why they did this now though...given the amount they have to pay him regardless. they must have a lot of faith in hunter and turner who did pretty good last year, but not sure about the full time transition to guard.

#8 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fuck Leon's agent....lol...

Suck though, Leon will probably will be on IR anyway.

10. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

It's better to get rid of a player 6 months too early than 1 year too late.

11. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

The Steelers gave up on Faneca before we did. He's a year older now and was a liability last season, and I'm sorry to say, NOT worth the money he was scheduled to earn. People need to stop basing their opinions on Madden games.

12. nuckles2k2

nuckles2k2 New Member

completely agree

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Look at it as money to spend in other areas.

Leon is a risk coming off injury, and Faneca, while he was always very good, I always considered him somewhat overrated as an "elite" OL.

14. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

In other words...every one we obtained or released just made THE NEW YORK JETS BETTER. Another word for it is instant upgrade. The rich just got richer, that would be us people are talking about!

15. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

one could argue we are an even stronger team if the rookie left guard, kyle wilson and joe mcknight moves work out. IMO, considering leon's injury, mcknight just might even be more of a sure thing than leon is at this point

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

exactly.

There are about 7 guys the Jets have to re-sign... that's where the money is going.

17. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I just dont understand all the Leon love, this guy is coming off a serious broken foot, and we were in the AFC Championship last year without him!

If you liked Leon, you'll love Joe McKnight!! Just stop already!

18. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Faneca led the league in sacks allowed by Guards! And we werent even a passing team!!

He was a weak link, and the Jets who are going to pass more this year did some thing about it!

ANOTHER GREAT MOVE! Open your eyes and stop bitching!

19. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Although I'm a Mets fan, look at the Yankees. They've drawn the blueprint on that. It's worked out for them pretty good, I'd say.

20. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

/thread with some filler on the side.