Going forward, what concerns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ace_o_spades, Dec 7, 2010.

?

What concerns you the most going forward?

1. Offense

56.0%
  2. Defense

44.0%
  3. Special Teams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I know I know another "wtf is going with us?" thread, but I'm just curious to see what specifically people are most concerned about this team going forward. I'm not gonna sit here and say "well we're 9-3 but that's a fake record we're fucked" because at the end of the day this is still a very talented team. Just like last year, if we put our shit together at the right time (i.e NOW) we can still be a dangerous team that can make a run in the postseason.

Having said all that, what concerns you the most going forward: offense, defense, special teams?

For me it's the defense. This is a complex defensive scheme that Jim Leonhard knew inside and out. Our lack of a prototypical pass rush could hurt us too. And we seem to struggle vs. teams that use their TEs and slot WRs well. We're very strong in run defense and defending receivers on the outside.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I believe Rex will get the defense corrected. This is the third time this season we've seen the offense lay a complete egg though.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the offense concerns me......they shouldn't be this putrid with all those pro-bowl caliber players on that starting roster.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

This is a no-brainer.
    The defense constantly gives up huge plays in the passing game.
    And I doubt it can be fixed because we can't create consistent pressure and aside from Revis and (to a lesser extent) Cromartie ... our secondary can't cover very well. It's a bad combination, and it's ALARMING.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The D was flat last night but not every team has Tom Brady nor an OL that can get away with holds on nearly every passing play.

I have concerns with our offense as regardless of how bad our D was the offense was just as inept. The major difference is the Pats D sucks ass and their O is among the best in the league. Sanchez looked awful in spots last night buyt outside of Holmes nobody on offense looked like they were ready to play... OL on pass protection included.

6. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

The defense is in disarray without Leonhard's on the field calls.

7. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

For some reason, I was more worried after the other 2 losses than this one. I think Miami could end up getting run over next week by a pissed off team.

8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I have no faith that Brian Schottenheimer can lead this team to a Super Bowl victory.

9. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

you cant blame one person for the lost...it was everyone....even the damn waterboy

on to the next game

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Offense by a parsec...

11. rdc2000

rdc2000 New Member

For the defense, as horrible as it was, it was an aberration. (Hopefully)

The offense was equally as bad vs. the Ravens, Packers and Pats last night. And the offense was almost as bad for long stretches in many other games.

People talked a lot about the Pats being at the bottom of the league in total yardage on defense . Well, we are at the bottom of the league in total offense. That is a huge concern.

Last 4 games will show what we are made of, but I'm really beginning to hope someone offers Schotty a head coaching position next year...

12. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

A must win game on the road Vs. the Bears.

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

The defense. Definitely the defense.

I expected the running game to be solid and the passing game to be middle-of-the-pack. That's precisely what we have.

But I expected our passing defense to be superior to last year's, with all the additions. We brought in a pro bowl corner, a hall of fame pass rusher and we drafted a cornerback in the first round and our pass defense looked pathetic last night.

The offense will improve as Sanchez grows. The pass defense? I'm not sure how to fix that. It was supposed to be the strength of our team. It was supposed to set the NFL standard. It's shit. Run crossing routes and you win against the Jets.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

We are??? What league are you talking about? Apparently not the NFL.
    We're 12th after last night's debacle.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think there are huge problems with both O and D, but I will make the case in this poll for the D being my answer.

The O's problems I think are ones of coordination and execution. I think the talent level is there, though.

D I fear is a different story. Harris gets a lot of love here, in general, but I think the overall play of the linebackers has been mediocre. None of them seem worth a damn in pass coverage. None, even Taylor, does much rushing the passer. Scott talks alot, but he's not a consistent factor.

In the secondary, with Leonhard out, after Revis and Cro there really is nobody even average.

The DL has guys like DeVito who I love their heart and occasional efforts of over achieving, but the only guy who consistently is at least somewhat better than average is Ellis.

Some might disagree about individual players, and that's fine. But I think that it's clear the overall talent level of the D is not what we had hoped going into this season. They can't rush the passer. They can't cover the middle of the field. Run D is a relative strength, but even that is not as great as all that.

Many seem to think Ryan can fix this D, and I hope they are right. I am skeptical. I also expect lots of changes to the D this coming off season, but that discussion will come later.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

My concern with the D is also the talent. There is talent on the defense and at the end of the day it's still a solid unit. The problem is the deficiencies of this defense are glaringly obvious and any team that has the talent to exploit can and will.

At this point, Drew Coleman has proven himself to be an enormous shit sandwich. Yes he's had a stretch of solid games but that's the best he's ever played. He made the saving play in the Cleveland game but that had NOTHING to do with his coverage ability. I say throw Kyle Wilson in there, at worst he'll gain some experience. I cannot imagine him being any worse than Coleman at this point.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I certainly think there is overall talent on the D. How much is another story, but where we completely agree is that the deficiencies on D are now completely obvious and any team that has the ability to pressure the D in the right way will get it done. The roadmap is there for all to see.

18. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I'm concerned about the defense because let's face it, that's what's going to have to carry this team. The offense is just so erratic, that the defense will make big plays to put this team in better position to score.

Not having Leonhard is going to hurt BIG TIME. Eric Smith and Brodney Pool are the weakest links. This is the one failing Tannenbaum has as a GM, not providing more depth at key positions. I love Laverneus Coles, but why did they sign him? I know the pickings are slim time of year, but this team needed a safety not another WR.

19. emania55

emania55 Member

our offense in our 3 losses has a total of 12 points. it's clearly the bigger issue. even by saying our d has to carry us you concede how bad the o is.

20. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'm going to have to agree with the bold.

When the opponents are running the ball and when our ILB's are blitzing, I'll take Bart and David over anybody else. But they're a liability in coverage. I remember watching Danny Woodhead motion out wide last night and watching Bart Scott go with him. Really?! That, ladies and gentlemen, is a mismatch.

Obviously, I hope Mauga can develop into a passing down ILB, but it's a need for this team. We've got a gaping hole in the middle of the field right now.