gOD is LOVE!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jan 26, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

gOD is lOVE

The Christianity Edition.

Let's talk about the almighty. The omniscient and omnipresent.

The guy that wants you to accept him without really knowing him.

gOD.

Do you believe in hIM?

Why?

Because hE says so?

Or because centuries worth of self-indignant scribes and up-jumped politican-types say so?

Let's start with what we know:

1) gOD is an alien.
    2) gOD has special interest in the energy that is released when your body dies.
    3) gOD created this "world", yet also eradicated humanity multiple times afterward.
    4) gOD had a "son". One with special abilities. And then gOD killed "him" and that death created a movement among humans to emulate that dead "son". Birth of martydom.
    5) gOD provides special abilities to those who suit his agenda.
    6) gOD rested after creating the world. The hE took close action on his creations. Now hE's taking another rest.
    7) When mankind tried to get too close to gOD, and all spoke the same language and organized a movement to create a "tower" to reach hIM, he confused their language and scattered them across the Earth.

Did I miss any? I'm sure I did.

Enjoy your "afterlife".

#1 abyzmul, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

It's funny,after moving to SC all these people that are bible thumpers seem to surrender all of their credit to god. they give themselves nothing,everything is because of god. all bad things are because of god will or muslims,and anything israel related is excused becaused they are "chosen". I have my own relationship with whatever created everything,and i dont know what it is. But fuck organized religion in the ear.

3. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

gOD enjoys game winning field goals in overtime. And puppies.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That's G-d in New York City, thank you very much.

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Everything happens for a reason. Even if it didn't. It still did. God has a plan. If i rape some people, it happened for a reason so I'm good right as far as salvation goes? Because I'm just a pawn

6. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

crom! is god!!!

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm confused, is this a tebow thread or not?

8. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Lemmy is god.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Your right about some of these points, however what many organized religions teach about god is not found in the bible.

The bible teaches us that god created his human creation perfect with the opportunity to live forever on earth in a paradise with no problems, but because he is not a dictator he gave them free will. They DECIDED to be independent of god and accepted the consequences that came with that decision.

Genesis chapter 1:25-30 and genesis chapter 2.

He does not want gullible belief in him, he wants humans to make an educated decision.

Hebrew 11:1 , faith is not blind, its based on accurate information.

Yes, god did revoke the privilege of life for many with a flood.

Not a hasty decision, based on reading the heart condition of people, but he finds no pleasure in it, does it because of having standards.

Genesis chapter 6 and Ezequiel 18:32

Gave his son to buy back as a ransom the debt our first parents put us in, again because of his standard of justice, he does not make loopholes for himself.

John 3:16.

The soul dies, it does not live on.
    Ezequiel 18:4

His enemy Satan was a former Angel who CHOSE to rebel because he wanted worship from humans, is the one who does not care about people, He is aware that the time he was given to prove his point is coming to its end.

Mathew 4: 8,9

The experiment is over.

Genesis 3:1-5, 15. Job chapter 1 and 2 and revelation 12: 7-12

God will restore everything we lost: revelation 12:3,4

Proving your point that, God is Love

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

^So god punished an entire world of people because of the actions of the very first ones. (That he created, I should add)

Sounds like a terrible decision to me

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Negative, he punished a world of people because they CHOSE to reject his standards, remember he made arrangements to protect the lives of any who showed respect for his standards.

Only eight showed respect for his standards and benefited from the provisions that were made to preserve their lives.

Free will, we all want it, what people don't want are the consequences.

Example: most of the guys here own homes, as the owner of the home you have a right to set standards for your tenants if you rented out the house, your tenants however can choose to follow your standards for living there out of respect for you or ignore them and tell you they will do as they want.

It does not make your ownership of the home invalid if they chose to disregard your standards., so you take the necessary steps to evict them.

#11 Red Menace, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  12. Dierking

You guys hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic and the colored boy who walked into a bar?

13. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

So god is a slumlord. Cool.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Showed respect for his standards? Accepting something into your heart as the most true and righteous thing in existence... without knowing hIS true nature.

That's not "showing respect for standards".

That is subservience and blindness and unwillingness to really understand.

It's also human nature. Let me make my own analogy.

People get into cars every day. Most of them have no idea how those cars actually function. They know that the gas pedal makes it go, the brake pedal makes it stop, and if you don't put fuel and oil in it every once in a while, it will strand them at the side of the road.

Then they have to take it to a guy that tells them why it isn't working, he gives them a sermon on why it isn't working, and passes the collection plate to them to get it working again.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What god allegedly did wasn't even close to evicting and is similar to dropping a nuclear bomb on a city to kill one bad person. It's a giant over reaction. What did the billions of animals that were murdered in the flood have to do with it? Did god ever think to maybe, I dunno, TALK TO THE PEOPLE ABOUT IT FIRST? You're honestly telling me that if god appeared in front of you and made his presence undeniable, and showed his power and ability to know every thing you do, you'd still disobey him? He's supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent, right? All knowledge of everything and all the power in the universe, yet you still find a way to fuck it up?

The funniest thing about religion is that people don't even know whether it's true or false yet go through such ridiculous lengths to defend it or act like everyone else is wrong because they don't share the same faith. If there is a god, it's definitely not any of the monotheistic man made religions. They are downright ridiculous, and creationists can be hilariously funny when they try to debunk modern science without having a basic fundamental understanding of how it works.

So let me get this straight. God creates man knowing full well ahead of time how it will turn out and ends up murdering all of his own creation for not obeying him. That sounds like a dictator, not a benevolent god. Then history plays out and god vanishes completely from existence, even though he interacting with people constantly in the bible. Now we are supposed to just blindly believe he exists and watches every thing we do, yet he won't even make his presence known? Then he'll send millions and millions of his own creation to suffer and burn FOREVER simply because they chose the wrong version of him to follow, in a short 70 year life? Instead of reaching out and helping them correct the error of their ways, he just pretends they don't exist and then damns them to hell. Yeah what a nice kind loving guy. People believe most religions out of fear, not love. No benevolent god would force his creation to worship him. That's what egomaniacs do, and you pretty much have to assume that god would be more enlightened than humans, would he not?

Normally when somebody commits those kind of atrocities they are labeled a mass murderer or a villain, but since its god, he has a plan and yada yada yada. The guy sounds more like an evil entity than a benevolent one and it certainly doesn't help things to know that the biggest religions in the world were originally spread by the sword and forced on people. It's a cycle that still hasn't been broken, with most parent still indoctrinating their children before they have the mental capacity to choose for themselves or evaluate what they are being told. They are told it's absolute truth and not to question it. Parents lie to kids about a lot of things, like Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, and also god. But as kids grow older and get smarter they eventually realize none of it actually exists, but they still don't usually question god. Why not? God is like a grownup's Santa Clause. The bible is demonstrably wrong in countless cases, and the events described are just as unrealistic as what people teach about Santa Clause or whoever else.

If you read the bible with an open mind, god seems more like a lab technician than a magic creating entity, and later in the bible he seems more like a group of entities, not just one. The more I read it, the more it seems like he was a ruler or overload that enslaved the population at one point or another. It definitely doesn't seem like a loving god.

#15 Barcs, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  16. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Children of Cain.

17. Bombers

Bombers New Member

The God of Evolution
    1)A belief (evolution) that all came to be from a single cell organism.

2)With no intelligence thought taken what so ever and everything has no purpose.

3)Zero is the number of experiments science is now attempting to recreate an organism from matter to see what it does this time and prove evolution.

4)2 nd stage of evolution is that single cell turns into a multiple cell which has never been witnessed neither does science even bothers to search anymore.

5)Of the 8.7 million species witness on earth there is no sign of evolution instead they look for one ity bity sign in fossils.

Evolution; the belief that the scientists are the most intelligent being to ever exist even though they still don’t know it all.

18. Dierking

aka Boyz N the Hood.

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

All of this.

It always cracks me up the idea that god would be so insecure that he would need to dedicate commandments to his worship and command belief. Why does he need that? Sounds like a selfish human trait

20. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

While there are certainly plenty of people in the scientific community who are overly dogmatic about their beliefs, I think you are making a fundamentally misleading statement about this supposed association. I am not sure whether you are doing this willfully or out of ignorance, but a few points:

This is not really so much a "belief" as the best possible theory based on available evidence. The most basic difference between science and religion is that if enough evidence presents itself that this "belief" you are pointing out is not true, then eventually, the theory will change to incorporate this new information. It's not always pretty, but it's ingrained into the foundation of how scientific progress works.

Of course things have purpose. It's just not an overarching purpose that encompasses everything at some level that works for you. Maybe you wouldn't even call it a purpose. But the purpose that every organism on this planet has is to survive and reproduce.

I see this conflation of the theory of evolution with natural selection all the time, too. There is no directed purpose, but it's not random. There are rules governing natural selection, similar to the rules governing why a rock rolls down a hill. It's a more complex system, but it's still a set of rules -- there is variation within any given population; those best-suited to live in a certain environment will tend to reproduce more successfully; future generations are more likely to be comprised of those genes which were successful in the environment. That's not a belief -- that's what we have seen happen.

I think a big problem with this is that people want answers to questions, but those answers may not exist in a satisfactory way. If you said, "Hey, why is this book 530 pages long?" I might be able to answer, "Well, the author wrote 530 pages worth of material." And you ask, "But WHY is it 530 pages?" I could say, "Well, the font chosen by the publisher, as well as the margins chosen by the publisher, combined with the length of the chapters led to a book that was 530 pages?" And still you would be asking, "BUT WHY?!?"

And the truth is that there's no reason. No purposeful reason. That's just the way that it happened to come together in a manner that worked.

And that's what evolution is about. We're here because what we were doing worked in our environment. E. Coli is here because what it has been doing has worked. Sharks, bees, algae, H1N1, sparrows... they work. They fit into their environment. Things (whether genes, organisms, or species) that don't fit well into their environment will be less well represented in future generations and will go extinct.

Organisms don't need to be "recreated from matter" to "prove evolution." Evolution is a mind-bogglingly long process for the most part.

Lichen says hello.

This is just patently false. Look at the strains and sub-strains of bacterial species separated by geography. Look at the bacteriophage populations thath co-evolve with all of these strains.

Evolution itself is a fact, not a belief. The complete story of how we got from 4 billion years ago to now is an incomplete one, sure. But evolution is not "just a theory." It's a fact.

Scientists are usually the first to say they don't know it all. The difference is that they then say, "Let's find out." Overly religious people are usually the ones who think they "know" the answers. "I don't know" is the beginning of a conversation and of exploration. "God did it," is the end of that conversation and kills any chance for exploration.

I would have a lot more respect for people who wanted to question the validity of the work done by evolutionary biologists if they showed even the slightest understanding of that which they are trying to disparage.

Serious question: Are you actually interested in learning about that with which you disagree? Or is it just easier for you to keep on thinking what you're thinking? Because I think your post might have been the best bastardization of science that I've ever read.