Give credit where it's due ...(Frank Bush Appreciation Thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsfansince95, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

With all hope for the first pick gone, we got to give credit where due. Frank Bush has done a hell of a job with this no name defense what a difference he has made the past few games.

2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

This is true. Maybe he’s worth a second look as head coach next year. Johnson’s can pay him 500 k.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see if this continues.

He's taken this group of rabble and stuck it to two 10 win teams the last 2 weeks. Makes me wonder what he could do with Jamal Adams, Mosley, and Q. I didn't even know who he was at the start of the season but he's getting big time respect now.

4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Good point. Defense has looked like a completely different Beast these last few weeks. Williams was a tired old whack job who intentionally cost us a victory.

5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I know about as much NFL X's and O's as the rest of the posters, which is to say not very much, but I know coaching. When a 1 and 13 team plays it's ass off like the Jets continue to do it says something good about them and the coaching staff.

Brook! and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  6. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd be open to him staying as Defensive Cordnater.... He's the only coach I can say that about

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I had never even heard of him before. I never heard that he was named the interim DC after Williams was fired, but I must say that I'm impressed with how he has had the D playing the last two weeks. I hope whomever the new HC will be will give him serious consideration for DC, or at least a spot on his staff.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Worth a look and retain for next year at defense. He has the defense playing with good spirits, intensity and smarts.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't want to burst too many bubbles but that same Rams offense that they played well against has mustered up six points in the first half while dominating time of possession against the Seahawks and we played an offense with one NFL receiver who hasn't taken a snap with the team he's on.

The guys are playing hard and that's great to see but it reminds me a lot of last year when we are playing offenses that were limping around (Cowboys without both starting tackles and Amari Cooper, Steelers with Duck Hodges, Bills backups, etc.).

Hopefully the defense builds on something like this. But I don't want anyone on this coaching staff retained unless it's the incoming coaches choice, which I doubt will happen.

10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'll give him credit for doing a good job, but I'm not ready to jump on board with the idea of him returning as DC. Interim coaches often do well simply because there's a different voice giving them their orders. In such a critical offseason, I wouldn't want to bank on anyone that's been a part of Gase's staff in a position with that much power over the performance of the team.

If the new coach wants him for his staff in a different capacity, then fine, but I'm not sure I want to role the dice by giving him the keys to the defense on a permanent basis.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

You’re right of course.
    Thing is....we said that about Gregg Williams last season.

We need a whole new CS.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

What I want to happen is a) Gase fired next Monday, b) JD makes hire of new HC and that hire is given free reign to hire his coaching staff. Nobody force-fed anybody. I have no problem if the incoming HC is a 1st timer and wants to interview Bush, based on any positive morsal that JD wants to toss his way, however final call is HC on his staff. Rex kept Shotty and Westhoff and that worked for a while, both were holdovers and keeping Westhoff made sense, but I think most of us had seen enough of Shotty. Clean house means clean house.

I want a conventional chain-of-command going forward. I know it's been mentioned here of other organizations that have unconventional reporting structures, good for them, it's been tried here since Idzik inherited Rex - to epically bad results...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

While the Browns were missing many pieces, they held Chubb and Hunt to a total of 39 yards. That is impressive.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It is although I'll lay it on some more - Browns were without two starting offensive lineman and Conklin/Tretter on the injury report this week with minimal practice time.

Still a good effort though.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, even though I think he deserves consideration, he has to be chosen by the new HC not forced on him.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Keep him. I am impressed.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So the Johnsons and Douglas let Gase fire Williams and ruin the tank. Wonderful.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Our defense has not quit. At all.

I watched every game of our 1-15 Rich Kotite season. I watched DBs, Safetys, even line backers side step running backs with a head of steam. 'Business decisions'. I've heard game announcers comment on how the Jets players have already packed their bags for the offseason....during mid season games. It's SO disheartening to see players playing out the string with zero enthusiasm.

Seeing our men play TOUGH in a 1-13 HORROR season actually means something to fans like me who've seen the exact opposite. I have no clue how Gase/Willimas kept the team together and playing hard (2019 as well), but it counts for something.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and Falco21 like this.
  19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He stopped Jared Goff and Baker Mayfield without his Top 4 WR's.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I did not expect the Jags to win a game so I am happy for the Jets to win the last few. Nothing has truly changed so I still believe the Jets need to draft a QB with the #2 pick, with the only exception being if they really don’t like any of the options. I find that unlikely however. I haven’t deep dived any of the QB prospects at all so I’m not sure which one I’m hitching my wagon to but I’m sure I’ll like one if not more.

I’d probably still want to trade Darnold, so we’ll see who’s interested and what the offers are. You could always try and keep him and hope someone overpays around the 2021 trade deadline but if you get a decent offer moving him earlier is better, because you might end up getting nothing for him.

I wish Darnold had worked out just like everyone else, but you can’t skip over a QB when you have a number 2 pick and no clear answer.

NCJetsfan likes this.