Giants' Draft

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, May 3, 2011.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Obviously, my opinion on anything and everything involver the New York Giants needs to be taken with enough salt to preserve ham for several months. This being the case, I'm curious what non-Giants fans )that are probably quite familiar with the Giants' roster needs) think of this draft. He's my quick take...

1. Prince Amukamara. I LOVE this pick. I know that CB isn't a position of immediate need for the Giants, but Reese stayed true to the "Best Player Available" philosophy that many GMs talk about but few seem to follow. Prince can press for starting time as our nickel and will hopefully be the guy that can match up with Dez Bryant for the next 7 years.

2. Marvin Austin. Again, BPA is the driving force behind the pick and I love it. Barry Cofield has been a vital yet underrated part of the DL and I like the pick of Austin to help fill the need that could open should Cofield leave via FA. Austin, I believe, has top 15 talent and was a steal at that pick. The trio of him, Linval Joseph, and Chris Canty should be a force in the middle for the next 4 years.

3. Jerrel Jernigan. Initially I didn't like this pick because I think we're pretty stacked at WR. However, this guy has BIG TIME special teams potential and could be the shot in the arm our horrid return game needs.

I'll spare you the rest save for one thing; I REALLY like the Greg Jones pick and I think he could play in the middle and push Jonathan Goff out to SAM. I think his measurables don't do his playing skill justice and that this guy is a tackling machine with the ability to rush the passer.

Overall I think the Giants operated with a very different mentality than many in the media may have expected. They didn't address the OL or LB corps. This is risky move in the sense that there is no promise the injury-riddled returns to form and the LB situation probably won't fix itself. Having said that, this was a terrible year for LBs and I'm glad Reese didn't pass up Prince in the 1st.

I think this draft could give the Giants two studs on D and a dynamic return man for years to come. If we're handing out grades, I'm giving it an A. What do you guys think?

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I liked the Giants draft. Corner probably wasn't their biggest need but you can't pass up a talent like Prince Amukamara and same thing with Austin. You can never have too much DL depth.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I impressed with the Giants' draft this season. Amukamara and Austin were a great way to start off and the value in the later rounds was great.

4. I Come in peace

I Come in peace New Member

The idea that the Giants needed so much O line help is greatly exagerated by many in the media and people that did not watch them on a weekly basis. Yes they had some injuries and yes guys are geting older, but the right side of McKeenzie and SNee was as good and durable as any in the league. Suebert played as well as anyone on the line in 2 different spots and was in my opinion an upgrade at center over O'Hara. Diehl was injured for 2 games and still played well at G and LT, Diehl is a guy who never missed a snap let alone a game and I think that was more an abberation then things to come. Will Beatty played LT for a 4 week period very well, the run game with him in there was actually better and he did not allow a sack against some good competition. Kevin Boothe also played well when called upon. Of course the wildcard is Shawn Andrews, he played as well as anyone, but really cannot be counted on as more than a super sub at this point based on his back situation. Depending on the CBA I hope that Boothe comes back.

As for Lber, that HAS to be a situation addressed in free agency. The drop off in talent from the Giants front 4 to the linebackers is drastic and needs to improve. I suspect they hope for more development from Sintim and will look for a free agent or 2 to come in and play. I wonder what they might do with Kiwinauaka if he returns and a possible move back to OLB. With his neck situation a spot where he is not in a 3 point stance hand in the ground may benefit him.

Guy I like is Sash from Iowa,should contribute on specials and could spell Philips from time to time.

Austin was a steal at his spot,he has those "issues", but he also has something to prove.

I wanted Cosatanzo myself, but according to reports the Giants thought they were going to wind up with Ingram and Costanzo was never their guy.

I hope Jernigan is good, because as well all know a game breaking return guy can be the differenve between 10 or 9 wins and 11 or 12. All the good teams have one and I hope he can be that game changer.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I have family that are Giants fans, so I pay close attention to the Giants and what they do.

As a 10-6 team they can go BPA. Prince and Austin were good picks. With the WR injuries, Jernigan was a nice pickup. I told my uncle to be excited about him because he has playmaking ability. Greg Jones is a good late round pick that everyone seems to agree with in terms of value and potential. He'll be a STer for sure.

The Giants had a smart draft. Reese has done a fantastic job.

6. I Come in peace

Its nice to see that some realize that the Giants are not some sort of awful 3-13 mess. Some bad luck the past 2 years with injuries and the way things went sort of doomed their results. With the luck they had in 2007 I sort of see the football gods giving some payback. I hope that bill has been paid, but I will sign for 10-6 #5 offense #7 defense in any year, of course I'd prefer a bit better than the #32 special teams unit :sad:

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

No doubt about it, Giants had an incredible draft. Easily one of the better ones in the nfl this year.

They should easily be a top 10 (probably top 5) defense , even with having such terrible linebackers.

That said they still have a huge problem with the running game, 1 mentally moronic halfback, and 1 pretty good oft injured back. Issues with an Oline, and a QB who is quite Jekyll and Hyde.

Their defense SHOULD (never doubt the Giants ability to fail hard) easily carry them to a playoff birth, but that offense is just gonna stop them from getting anywhere near the superbowl.

Too many damn turnovers, and their QB still hasnt learned how to slide yet

#7 dcm1602, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Their lbs suck, but they had a good draft.

9. I Come in peace

Couple things here. #1)The Giants offense was #5 overall and top 10 in scoring, it was not the offense(or Jacobs as you stated for that matter) that killed them it was turnovers, 41 total. Now this same group(minus Plax and Toomer) 2 years prior tied an NFL record for lowest turnovers in a season(13, 10 ints 3 fumbles). Now I did not think they were every that good, but lets assume the real offense is somewhere splitting the difference.The Giants offense can score and move the ball, they cut down simply 10% on turnovers they win 2 more games.

#2) the defense is not that good and despite having some very talented individual players, Tuck,Osi, Kiwi, JPP, Rolle Philips you are correct the Lbers are weak. I hate Boley(sucks) and Sintim has been a dud and Goff is a backup at best.

#3)special teams, awful dreadful, terrible return games, awful punting and terrible tackling. They drafted a few guys who should help that.

Special teams and turnovers are what prevented that team from winning 12 games. I see the turnovers as more an aberation than a norm(although I dont expect 2008 levels again), its 100% on the ST's for this team to get better. That and getting a solid LBer free agent and one of the young guys at LB(Tracy, Sintim? ) to step up

10. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The Giants probably had one of the best value drafts with players falling in their laps and such. From a mock draft standpoint people will probably grade them very highly. I just wonder if down the road the players that slipped to them live up to their pre-draft stock if that makes any sense. Often times it's the unconventional draft choices or sleeper picks that surprise the NFL a few years down the road, if that makes any sense.

For example, from walterfootball's 2006 NFL draft grades: Miami Dolphins

Grade given on 5/1/06: A+
    Grade given on 7/3/07: F
    Good Moves: For the second year in a row, it seems as though Nick Saban came away with a solid draft class, even though he only had six choices to work with (one second-round choice was used on Daunte Culpepper). Safety Jason Allen, chosen No. 16 overall, will start right away and has Pro Bowl potential down the road.

Third-round wide receiver Derek Hagan will eventually become a potent weapon for Daunte Culpepper. Even Saban's seventh-round picks look like they will pan out; defensive tackle Rodrique Wright and wide receiver Devin Aromashodu both have enough skills to contribute.

Bad Moves: My only gripe with Saban's draft is his choice of Hagan over Maurice Stovall.

July 3, 2007 Update: Allen has yet to crack the starting lineup, which has to be a concern for the Dolphins' organization. ... Derek Hagan (3rd round) had two solid games in October as a rookie, but didn't do much else. He's currently fifth on the depth chart. ... Joe Toledo (4th) is the last tackle on the roster, so he may not make the team. ... Only one of the other selections (Rodrique Wright - 7th) is still on the roster. ... Miami's second-round pick was used on Daunte Culpepper. ... Looks like I was way off with this grade the first time around.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

There is no part of this sentence that doesn't make me laugh.

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Loved the Prince selection, and I think that overall you guys had a great draft. Kudos.

Now let's get a goddamn snack.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think it was a Grade A draft. Prince was a steal that late. Marvin Austin was BPA at the time. Don't know about Jernigan but sounds like he has great potential. We shall see.

14. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

The Giants may have had one of the best drafts overall. Loved the Amukamara, Jones, and Austin pick. The Jernigan pick I was a little hesitant on only because, I dont see a great upside, but I like that he is tough wide receiver which is always good