Gholston Question

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Sep 21, 2009.

1. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I know there are a thousand threads, but i have a few questions
    First, did he play yesterday? If not who was playing besides Thomas, Harris, Scott. I was also curious what the D will look like when Pace comes back and who will be getting less time. If he isn't cracking the lineup with pace out, I doubt he sees any time when he comes back. Guy can't play special teams and rex doesn't have the confidence in him to play him. I have heard all the hit we would take cutting him, but he seems like a waist of a roster space to me.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

no, he played very minimal. There were alot of Nickle and Dime sets that Gholston did not see much time in.

3. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Yeah, Gholston played yesterday. He didn't do anything noteworthy, but then again he didn't fuck anything up too bad either, which is a success in it of itself.

This defense will be scary when Pace comes back. He is without a doubt our best passrushing LB.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It was almost like Rex was afraid to put #50 on the field against the Pats yesterday because they would target him.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I think it was more due to gameplanning than Vernon. Brady was in shotgun most of the game, three and four wide.

6. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I think anything we get from Gholston at this point will be gravy. I'm looking forward to Pace returning. I will be shocked if Gholston registers a single sack over the next two weeks.

The Patriots are clearly a pass first team and our corners and safeties are good enough against the run that we didn't really need him. I think Westerman didn't see much time either.

I am looking forward to having Pace back against Miami.

-X-

7. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

In thinking about it, Westerman was extremely limited as well.

8. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Lots of nickel sets, but I do agree with Abyz, it seemed like Gholston's limited play may have also been forethought.

9. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

was just wondering the same thing about gholston and westerman and was checking box score, no tackles for gholston and an assist credited to westerman, for that matter, murrell, trusnik are listed in tackles category, but those could be special teams tackles?

It almost seemed yesterday that eric smith was the 4th LB. he played up on the line, covered TE's.

10. Phear

Phear New Member

of course you do.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

there was one run that went to his side for 8-10 yards.

but with the spread the Pats were running he has no place on the field.

its funny how before this game analysts said the pats would just spread the Jets out to beat the scheme we play. But I still wonder how closer that game is with Welker in there.

12. Phear

Phear New Member

his replacement had 96 yrds or so receiving, i do not think it would have changed much.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

well he had Drew "1st down + YAC" Coleman on him. A three legged dog can beat Coleman.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

It is sad when you are hesitant to put a #6 pick on the field. But, I support that he must earn his time out there and if he doesn't pan out, so be it.

15. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

I wonder if Gholston holds the record for most threads started about him

16. Phear

Phear New Member

I think favre has a 2 thread lead on him. :smile:

17. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't think he played and I watched the entire game. Can we please, please not draft any more players from Ohio State?? Nuge, Schlegel, Gholston......<sigh>

18. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Gholston was no doubt a ghost in the last game, but when we played Houston, he did well. I think it was only because of the defensive schemes that he was kept out most of the game against the Pats. We haven't heard anything else -- any rumors -- have we? I think he'll have a lot of playing time against the Titans.

If we had to rely on him, maybe it would be a concern. But we have such an awesome defense, as long as he doesn't totally f up, his play (or non-play) doesn't hurt us.

But I think he'll be playing in the next game, and I think he'll do alright -- as long as Bart Scott gets in his face and lights a fire under his a$$.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Not to say he is Welker but Edelman was their leading reciever and I thought he played pretty well... especially considered he played QB in college.

Trick play QB, returner, Welker's substitute... I think this guy will have a good future with the Pats.

20. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

It's already been hit on by some-- that the # of nickel and dime packages kept Gholston off the field quite a bit, but someone else also noticed a severe lack of Westerman. I think Ryan knew what he was getting into in this game, and kept them off the field b/c of the number of ways that TE's and Faulk could exploit the 2 of them. Maybe had to do with lack of experience, maybe lack of agility/range in coverage, maybe not up to snuff on their film study and assignment(s) responsibilities. I did notice Murrell, I think, playing some DE in the 2nd half.