Get Kris Richard for DC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 16, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know that since Saleh is a former DC, most people think it's irrelevant who he picks to be his DC... but if they are really going to be doing the CEO model at HC, he's going to need a guy that he's worked with and knows his philosophy to call plays and coach practices on defense.

Kris Richard took a year off from football in 2020, but before he was let go by McCarthy in Dallas last offseason he was a hot commodity and was even considered one of the candidates to replace Garrett even though he was a position coach.

I'm off the opinion that you can never have enough leaders in the coaching staff, and he has worked closely with Saleh in Seattle. I believe he just interviewed for the Raiders DC job, but screw those guys.

I think Kris Richard should be the next DC of the NYJ.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. If Saleh has someone that he knows and trusts he'll be more inclined to turn over the "D" to him and not be tempted to get sucked down into the nitty gritty.

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

100% accurate

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Would think he would be the favorite, hope so.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Solid choice. Seems like in both Seattle and Dallas he was a part of really good defenses. In Seattle in 2015-17 as a DC was top 11 each year in yards (#2, #5, #11). Then was a part of top 10 defense in yards twice (#7, #9) as a linebacker coach in 2018-19. Both defenses went to shit after he left. Yet he was fired both times, including from Seattle by Pete Carroll. Why is that, is he hard to work with or something, cause results seem to be there?

I am also thinking if he were the top choice, we would have gotten him already, since he is not with any team, and you want to move fast with your top guy, before someone else gets him. Saleh literally took Mike the minute he was hired. I suspect there is someone on a play-off roster they are after. Maybe Aaron Glenn?

Brook! likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Good question. As far as the Carroll firing, this article goes in depth about it. On the surface it doesn't make sense.

For the McCarthy firing, that guy cleaned house so he could bring in his buddy Mike Nolan, so he could then fire him less than a season later. Not sure I'd put much stock into that one.

As much as I'd love to see Aaron Glenn on the Jets sideline again, I'd be surprised if Saleh brought in someone he'd never worked with to run his defense.

Brook! likes this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

solid stuff.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hell I'm just happy that we got Saleh AND LaFleur. Richard would be gravy however I read he already interviewed for the Raiders DC job and also gossip about him possibly reuniting with Dan Quinn in Dallas.

Either way, I trust Saleh completely on this hire with his defensive background.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Saleh will probably call the plays so i would imagine we are gonna see Joe Smoe at DC

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Almost every Head Coach calls plays for one side of the ball.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not the good ones. Sure, they might reserve the right to override the OC/DC at times, but if they're that buried into the details of every play on one side of the ball they've not really able to pay attention to everything else.

Ralebird likes this.