GAC Studs and Duds - Week 9 NYJ vs IND 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Mike LaFleur - Lots of people have given him shit over the 1st 6 weeks of the season for our poor offense. It wasn't him. The playcalling has been great. Now in back to back weeks we scored 64 points, had almost 1000 yards of offense. and our back-up QB in his 1st start posted 3 TDs and 400 yards while our 3rd string QB a 35 year old with 8 career starts put up 300 yards and 3 TDs (over 400 as a team since white had 95 before getting hurt) in relief of our injured back-up. Zach needs to learn to take the "boring" plays as saleh has been saying and not look for the home run every down. it'll come with experience. Zach is way more talented then white. he'll do great in this system. but MF deserves a ton of credit for putting up these numbers. I'll do some breakdowns as well but 1 thing that stood out was the 3rd and 15. nobody has a play for that. especially with a 3rd string QB, your WR1 out, and your LT out. it's always a screen or draw and then punt on 4th if you don'tg et it. MF drew up the screen to get the defense to 1 side then lateraled back to a RB on the other side who picked it up. Just really exciting playcalling

Josh Johnson - Guy made the most of his opportunity and actually looked good doing it. The INT at the end was a bad break but he was moving the offense and putting up points. even picked up a couple of 1sts with his legs. 300 yards and 3 TDs and some really nice throws. plus I love the emotion he showed. he was in it to win it. Had we scored and gotten an onside kick we still had a chance. he faught back from a 32 point deficit to make it a 2 score game.

Elijah Moore - finally had his breakout game and looked great doing it. 7 for 84 yards and 2 TDs on 8 targets.

Duds

The whole defense - I can't even break it down. the entire defense was awful. maybe 1 or 2 people had a good game. IDK but as a unit it was pitiful to watch. There was 1 point where the colts had gained 486 yards out of a possibly 488 with the missing 2 being when they went for it on 4th and goal from the 2 and we stopped them. It was an embarassment. their 1st 7 drives were 6 TDs and 1 turnover on downs which they honestly should have taken the FG and it should have been 7 straight scoring drives until their 1st punt. You can't expect to win with defense like that

Mims - everyone here was jerking him becuase he wasn't playing. he got a chance and was awful. 1 catch for 20 yards on 5 targets and 3 bad drops. he has alligator arms and tries to body catch everything. same way he dropped the TD last week. he needs to work on catching with his hands. It should be clear why he isn't seeing time over other players. even jeff smith caught 3 of 4 for 40 yards and made some nice catches. we have plent of speed. moore ran a 4.35 and smith ran a 4.36. smith is also a former QB so could be sue din the crowder trick play role if we move on from crowder in the offseason. smith right now is better then mims. just because mims is fast doesn't mean he should see the field more

Refs/broadcast - The refs were just awful. Indy had 0 penalties called on them in the 1st 3 quarters despite several blatent/obvious holds on their long runs. It's nto why we lost, the defense just sucked but still it's BS. so tired of bad officiating. the skycam did fix some bad calls quickly though so that was good but didn't help on penalties. the broadcast was bad too with not even a mention of white getting hurt until way later on. commentators just suck and so did the replays

Mogriffjr likes this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

My football viewing has gone all the way down to only jets games, and only until those get out of hand, because the officiating in the NFL is so bad it's become unwatchable in my opinion.

Donttasemebro and ouchy like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd add Quinnen to the studs. He had 8 tackles including a few for losses and a few pressures. It seemed like he was the only one playing up front.

I'd add most of the o-line to the duds, including AVT. McGovern and AVT both got worked in the middle. In AVT's defense, it doesn't get much harder than Buckner, but he still got worked by him and we saw his ceiling - he needed some help. Moses and GVR were doing disappearing acts and Fant was the only half decent one last night.

Saleh to the duds because we just don't show up on the road.

#3 ouchy, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Acad23 likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

0-5 on the road and mostly blowouts

REVISion, Pepsiguy5 and ouchy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

He had an odd game. he had 0 pressures all game however had 6 run stops. so he won in the run game but lost in the pass game. AVT had a good game actually

6. GasedAndConfused

the offense has been pretty fun the past 2 weeks though. once the all 22 comes out i'll breakdown a few plays here

JackBower likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'd add Fatukasi as atomic dud--seriously looked like he doesn't belong in the NFL--he's a lot of hype. GAC--can you confirm my observation.

Jets69 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

I'd have to watch him on the replay when I watch it, but so far every week i've watched he always stands out. he's a really good DT for us. maybe he had a bad game yesterday. I'm not sure yet but for the season he's been a top 3 player on our defense. probably him, JFM, and Q are our top 3 overall for defense.

IDFjet likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Gotta add Ulbrich as a dud. Opponents are scoring at will and we have no answer to it.
    The scheme sucks.

Special teams laid a few eggs as well.

REVISion and ouchy like this.
  10. mrjet80

Yes but at some point it comes down to talent - a lot of holes on defense - no safeties, raw CBs, no name LB except Moseley and no outside pass rush. Defense needs an infusion of talent to compliment the interior DL and bolster the secondary. The middle of the field is always wide open ….

Acad23 likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

IDK if it was ulbrich or the players at this point, but I listed the entire defense which includes ulbrich as the defense was just putrid. But I doubt it was 1 person. it was probably a combo of play calling and bad excution. even with bad play calling you don't get rolled over that badly. After the game saleh made a comment about "gap coverage" which leads me to believe the LBers were fucking up in the run game and not staying at home in their gaps but i'd have to rewatch it to see.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're a stud for re-watching that shit show... ;)

I'll zip thru it also... want to look at player positioning pre-snap on down & distance.
    Something is fundamentally fucked up beyond talent level...imo.

Pepsiguy5 and IDFjet like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

it won't be that bad. I wanted to focus on the offense and what we are doing right but I can take a look at foley too but on D I wanted to mostly focus on what happened in the run game and how we got gashed so badly

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'll try and get a copy of the all-22 at work today... but it's like pulling teeth sometimes.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

you can pay for it on gamepass. you get access about 1-2 days after the game. you view it on NFL.com that's what myself and maximus does

16. mrjet80

Brian Costello wrote a good article about this defensive effort in today’s NY Post…..

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Good point on the refs. I usually don't bitch about refs, but I did think the same thing watching the game. I saw three obvious offensive holding violations on the Colts that were never flagged. One jets defender even looked like he was blantantly horsecollared by a Colts OL (uncalled). The refs did not throw one, not even one, flag on Indy until the game was well out of reach. No, it did not cost us the game, but i thought several times that it was very uneven.

19. GasedAndConfused

yeah it was insane. 0 flags in the 1st 3 quarters. the 1st flag they actually threw against the colts the game was a blowout and it was an obvious off sides but the shitty part was they threw it late so JJ didn't even know it was a free play where he coulda took a shot downfield and instead opted to pick up the 1st for like 6 yards and we declined it

tomdeb likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm working with Pereira tonight... I'll ask him what he thought if I get a chance.