GAC Studs and Duds - Week 5 NYJ vs ATL 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 11, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Tevin coleman - yes some may disagree with this as he only had 3 carries for 11 yards on offense, but his pass blocking was huge and he had a big 65 yard kick return. He looked really good out there

Quincy Williams - 8 tackles 2 FFs and was completely screwed on that roughing the passer penalty

Morstead - 4 punts for a 51.3 average and a long of 59. 2 inside the 20

Vera Tucker - was a beast 2nd game in a row. Pff gave him a 92 grade and he's a top 5 rated IOL over the past 2 weeks. looks like he's catching on quick.

Bryce hall - had a couple of nice pass break ups. was good in coverage all day. he needs to work on his ball skills to get some INTs

Duds

Wilson - had a rough game, he is really whiffing on the gimme passes. It's something he's gonna need to practice on.

Coaching staff - all the slow starts are killing us. At one point the TOP was over a 10 minute difference. it gasses the defense early and changes the whole game. We need to get out to better starts. We need to get zach in rhythm early. ATL had a good gameplan, they took away zahcs deep ball and made us beat them with timing and rhythm and we couldn't do it.

Refs - more awful calls, especially the RTP ones. NFL needs to fix that, it's beyond ridiculous.

3rd down defense - several times we got them in 3rd and long only to let it be converted. ATL was 64% on 3rd down despite being in many 3rd and longs. Defense needs to make a play and get off the field on 3rd down more.

EDIT: PFFs top 5 jets

AVT 92.4
    Fant 83.0
    mcgovern 80.2
    JFM 78.3
    Sherwood 77.0

Interesting that 3 of our lineman are in the top 5. All 3 drafted or signed by JD. GVR is really the only weak link plus this is without becton.
    Also for AVT he was the highest graded lineman in the NFL

Overall 92.4 (1st)
    Pass 88.9 (2nd)
    Run 90.6 (3rd)

seems like trading up for him was a great idea. We just have to have patience with this young team

#1 GasedAndConfused, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Defense should be at the top of the duds list.

I get that they were on the field a lot... but they were so soft in the second half.
    I'm not blaming the players... it was a crummy scheme to start with... gave up way too much underneath.

Jets69, Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Can we add NFL network coverage to the DUDS list? Theyre fucking brutal in all aspects

cval, Brook!, Falco21 and 6 others like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Stud: Denzel Mims. Made one catch and he looked amazing doing it. Good for him, adding fuel to the fire. He needs to be on the field more.

papapump likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The biggest Dud to me was being down 17 to zero after 2 offensive series. 2 series where the QB put the ball in recievers hands and they dropped it ending both drives. Essentially, the game was over at that point.

The problem is we need confidence and rhythm for the offense to work well but players are stressing which causes mistakes, receivers to drop balls, Zach to press and try and do more. Which ends up killing drives so there is no confidence and rhythm. It is a catch 22. Successfull plays allows players to relax and make it easy to make more successful plays. Instead we have the reverse. I think Parcells said it 25 years ago that someone needs to step up and make a play. For the most part Zach is doing his job but he needs someone else on offense to step up and make a few plays to get the offense moving. We should not need a rookie QB to have to be perfect and carry the team which is what we have asked of him all 5 of these games.

If I had to put one dud it is the offense being unable to develop a successful rhythm. To actually be able to stay on the field long enough to gain confidence. This was a team effort. Everyone made mistakes. The receivers, the QB and the line.

Hopefully, the 2 weeks off will give the CS time to find away to get this team to execute better and get some rhythm and confidence into the offense. Watching us fall behind so quickly is demoralizing and frustrating for us fans I can only imagine how bad and angry the players must be after putting in so much work the last 6 months.

#5 Noam, Oct 11, 2021
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the missed extra point by Amendola leaving us down 11 rather than down 10.

It's the little things... o_O

7. GasedAndConfused

They were worn down. they had 100 snaps the week prior and had to travel to london. then were on the field for 13 mins in the 1st quarter out of 15. The offense is killing them

Mogriffjr and Jets79 like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

he was 2 for 2 on FGs and there was 11 missed XPs in the NFL this week not to mention 4 game winning FGs alone in the GB/Cin game. I wouldn't make him a dud but he isn't a stud because of the missed XP. we wound up getting a 2pt conversion to even that out

azhar80, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

C'mon... they couldn't get off the field.

They were leaving the middle of the field wide open for Ryan to feast.
    Had no answer for Pitts or their tight ends.

That was just the 1st quarter.

It wasn't fatigue... it was a lousy scheme.

#9 Acad23, Oct 11, 2021
    cval likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Like I said... it's the little things.

The entire team didn't look happy to be there... and it showed.

apjbfc and GasedAndConfused like this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

How about Tim Ward for the Stud department? Two consecutive excellent plays on D. Did he play any other snaps? I don't recall seeing him.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

he had 12 snaps. And likely played more due to Shepard having a few bad penalties.

13. GasedAndConfused

I don't think anyone likes london games in the NFL
    pitts trashed us. is what it is

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Teams may not like it... but good teams make it work.

Pitts is a good player no doubt.
    Somebody should have told Ulbrech.

Ryan picked apart the Jets... and we had no answer.

westiedog1 and cval like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

when we did take him out his no name WRs beat us. matty ice is just a good QB. out issues were on offense more then defense. the D got worn out becuase of the 3 and outs early

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. JRJR

JRJR Active Member

Shouldn’t Shepherd be a dud?

17. GasedAndConfused

because 1 penalty? not really.

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Why?! Why?! Lol

Mims caught a ball and converted a first down. He did not "look amazing" doing it lol

Come on. This infatuation with Mims is mind blowing to me. I get it, he's talented. There's no doubt, but I really hope your post is a joke lol

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Wilson was for sure a dud, but I said this in another thread, Wilson did not look all that bad after rewatching every pass he had.

Yes, he made one horrible decision, but outside of that, he really wasn't all that terrible. He did miss a few passes but I chalk a large part of that up to rookie struggles and travel across half the world. I was expecting to see a lot worse, but after just watching him in a vacuum, he really wasn't all that bad.

20. JRJR

JRJR Active Member

How about two? Holding and Roughing the Passer.