GAC Studs and Duds - Week 17 NYJ vs TB 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 3, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Zach Wilson - his 4th straight game without an INT. and while missing his top 3 WRs, top 4 TEs, top 2 OTs, OC, and top 2 RBs he still looked legit as hell. he was sharp, decisive, smart, and made some great throws. the numbers aren't eye popping but all things considered you can't expect too much with the lack of skill position players around him lately. this throw from this angle was ridiculous https://streamable.com/e1ysht and maybe not even in his top 5 of the night

Braxton Berrios - another game where he's had to do more then expected and he responds. 2 TDs 77 yards on 10 touches and some crucial 3rd down conversions. he's proven to be a very reliable player who thankfully hasn't been injured for us

AVT - was on point all game opening holes in the run game and pass protecting well. he really stood out. feeny had a few nice run blocks as well but was bad in pass protection so he won't be here in the studs list

Walter - had to come in for carter after carter sadly got concussed but walter looked shifty and good

echols - picked off brady and then had brady sign the ball after the game. but really he was good in coverage all night

hall - did about as good as 1 can expect going against mike evans most of the game

foley - was a monster in the run defense

pinero - was perfect 4/4 on the day and hit his only FG which was a 50+ yarder

saleh/coaching staff - our team is ravaged by injuries, long out of the playoff run, and facing the top seed in the NFC and he had them ready to play. it took a 93 yard 2 min drill from brady for us to lose. The jets looked good and played inspired. even if we blew it in the end which we all seen coming

Duds

Mims - literally didn't even see a single snap. dj montgomery got 3 snaps at WR. it was mostly cole, berrios and jeff smith all game

Cole - really isn't anything more then a WR4. at least berrios produces. cole has done next to nothing the past 2 games. and had a key drop on 3rd down

brown - finally gets a shot with our top 3 TEs out and tries to hurdle someone and injuries his hip coming down from it. just a bonehead play. left us with yeboah as the only TE the rest of the game.

braden mann - poor day punting and had a shank at the end of the game too

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Putting Zach & Berrios at the top is well & proper... they were standouts.

I'd like to ask Ulbrich why he wasn't blitzing more often. It looked like we were getting results from pressuring the pocket.

Saleh gets a nod for having the starters & backups ready to play... they could have easily mailed it in.

It would have been a sweet win for us. As it is... it's another learning experience for a young team.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Keelan Cole has been way worse than I have expected him to be. I loved the signing at first but boy has he been terrible.

The Jets should absolutely take one of Wilson/Burks/Williams with one of their two first round picks. Run it back with Davis, Moore, one of the 3 listed, Berrios, and a cheapish 1 yr vet.

EDIT: I also still don't think the Jets should get rid of Mims. He will have to earn his spot in camp though. I wouldn't mind keeping him as the 6th WR on the depth chart and inactive until he can overcome this mental thing he's got going on.

PJ4Ever, FJF, KY Jets Fan and 3 others like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'd love for the Jets beat writers to ask meaningful questions regarding X's and O's but they don't give a damn and would rather ask "gotcha" questions to make a controversial headline.

One question I have is why the constant Cover 1 on 3rd and medium+

cval, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

agree with that list - was the first time watching Wilson play that it felt like we had a decent QB - hope that they can get him some decent weapons - there are a lot of good WR prospects and so hopefully a trade down might be on the cards (though not easy to see who anyone would be trading up to get)

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

unless someone offers a second (or maybe third) round pick for him I agree it wouldn't make sense to cut him whilst he is still on his rookie contract

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nice list as always. It looks like PFF agrees with you as well. They were very high on AVT. 3 straight really strong games by Wilson and again with only 2 other offensive starters playing. Encouraging to see him able to elevate those around him. But what is even nicer is seeing Zach trust his presnap read, trust what he sees on the field and throw the ball without hesitation. That is the QB we saw in college, in camp, in preseason before he lost his confidence. Hopefully, that is who we see next year.

#7 Noam, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Keelan Cole has been a big disappointment. I didn’t expect much from him but I did expect him to be reliable which he has not been.

Yeboah played well, probably didn’t do enough to make stud list but did make two tough catches and looked like more of a threat at the position than we’ve had all year. I’d like to see him get another big opportunity next week.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

AVT was defiantly worth the pick. showed that at worse he'll be an above average LG for us for the next decade. I'm suprised wilson wasn't up there TBH. braxton was awesome as expected. feeny is a suprise. he was very good in the run game but was pretty bad in the pass game from what i've seen. thought it would balance out to a more average grade from them. yeboah did have a really nice catch for us and had to play a lot thanks to being the only healthy TE

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Grading is pretty subjective. I am surprised that Wilson was not higher. The week before they give Wilson a 59 on 1st review but when they did a closer more in depth 2nd review they upped him all the way to 80. It is pretty subjective but Wilson is the type of QB where a casual observer might dismiss him based on stats the closer one looks at his game the better he looks especially when one considers the players he is playing with and duress he is under. It is hard to measure pocket presence, confidence and control of the offense. But he is playing with all 3 and at a high level.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The line was pretty damn good. Of course Fant got hurt and then Edoga let up some quick pressure smh.

Need Yeboah to get a chance next week, he looked good up the seams and made some good catches

Borat, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good assessment as always. As a side note, Fant this year has impressed me tremendously and has manned the LT position well. He is a piece of the OL we need to keep because of his versatility. All the hate for JD when he selected him was totally unwarranted. Yeboah had some good flashes and nice catches in traffic. Hope he continues to grow. Wilson gets very high marks from me because he was void of WRs, with Coles in particular leaving a couple of big gainers on the ground, killing the momentum. Cant wait till we beef up the core next year. Vera is a stud and an awesome pick by JD. Need one more like him to man the right side. Again those that thought Vera was a stretch were dead wrong.

#12 LAJet, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Borat, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At first glance, Bryce Hall did not have a good game. They were in what appeared to be cover 4 on that final drive and allowed a soft catch in front of him and was nowhere near the receiver on the final touchdown reception.

You can argue it was the safeties responsibility but he has to get more depth on that play and concede the 5 yard catch to Gronk.

Probably his first bad game of the year so it’s easily forgivable.

LAJet and Acad23 like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Edoga was doing subpar but not getting totally killed because AVT was picking him up. The Bucs started overloading the opposite side to draw AVT over there and started beating Edoga like a drum one on one.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's a fighter, I really like the guy. He got whipped early (although Evans is a bitch with those push offs) but kept on coming after them without losing his cool, there's a high ceiling there.

Pairing him with another guy that can cover 1x1 would do wonders for the sack numbers.

Jets79, LAJet, Acad23 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m lost as to why they haven’t tried Edoga at guard. He’s not that tall and extremely slow footed off the ball. Not to say he’d be any good at it but he certainly can’t play tackle in the NFL.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

A stud for Echols who had piss poor coverage that led to that 3rd and 20 conversion and basically was the turning point of the game? Cmon….

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. And asking Brady for his autograph removes any "studness" IMO.

94Abraham likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed on the studs. Wilson and Berrios were fantastic.

For the duds, I would say Jeff Ulbrich. I really hope Robert Saleh does the right thing and fires him. Surely he can upgrade the defensive coordinator position. I have felt that way for awhile. After that 93 yard drive, it is a must.

cval and REVISion like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the bigger mistake he made was in not blitzing more. They did get to Brady the few times they blitzed, either by making him rush or actually laying hands on him. I see the 93 yard drive more to do with lack of talent than coaching, but I don't absolve Ulbrich either.

The Dark Knight likes this.