GAC Studs and Duds - Week 14 NYJ vs NO 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 13, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs-

Defense overall - I know a big part of it is the fact the saints offense isn't that good. they have a great RB and a good o-line but a crap QB with a bum finger and a stud RB but nothing else. The defense played overall well. we let up a FG on the opening drive but had a good red zone stop then 3 straight punts from them including one where we stopped them for negative 18 yards on the drive that gave us good field position to tie it up. Meanwhile out offense had 3 straight punts to start the game and had the ball a total of about 3.5 minutes. even on the TD drive in the 1st half it should have been called back for holding on JFM
    [​IMG]
    none of their WRs met the 45 yard mark. kamara got his as expected but wasn't a huge game by him by any means and hill only had good rushing numbers thanks to a garbage time TD run where we sold out due to running out of time. overall the defense played well. notable top players were mosley, hall, and echols but i'll know more on the rewatch.

Special Teams - pinero was 3/3 on FGs which is very welcome after the issues we've had all season. he doesn't have a big leg so mann did kickoffs and was great. in 4 kick offs he didn't allow a single return. he also punted for over 50 YPP average and a long of a 60 yarder.

Duds

Skill positions on offense - This is what happens when you are missing your top 2 RBs, top 2 WRs and top TE. you just can't move the ball. injuries kinda wrecked us for this game and likely for the season. I doubt moore comes back at this point and davis is surely done for the year. cole and crowder aren't starters. mims was pretty bad too. ty johnson dropped many passes. berrios was our top guy at 6 for 52 on 10 targets and a couple of nice catches.

Refs - here is a list of missed calls
    Notable no-calls

Here were some of the notable missed calls, controversial moments or review situations.

• A flag was picked up early on after a Saints run. The replay seemed to show that jumbo tight end James Carpenter held Shaq Lawson on the edge and Nick Vannett also held Quincy Williams at the second level. Maybe two wrongs do make a right.
    • The Jets ran outside and Demario Davis stopped it on the edge. However, this was a clear example of a defensive lineman who should have been called for holding. Connor McGovern was bear-hugged by Shy Tuttle, preventing him from getting to the second level to block Davis.
    • Broadcast replays showed that Denzel Mims was blatantly held by CJ Gardner-Johnson on a third down incompletion.
    • On the play where Mims was called for his first penalty, Zach Wilson threw deep to Jamison Crowder and Gardner-Johnson never got his head turned but seemed like he perhaps made contact before the ball arrived (although the Mims penalty would've just meant an off-set rather than Jets ball at the one).
    • Quincy Williams also had a play where he didn't get his head turned and the ball hit him in the back. However, it looked like there was no contact on the receiver, Alvin Kamara, who probably would've drawn a flag if he made more of an effort to work back to the ball.
    • The Saints felt that Keelan Cole got away with a push-off on his only catch, although James Lofton disagreed, saying he was just disengaging from contact.
    • Finally, how different would the game have been if the Saints' only touchdown in the first three and a half quarters was overturned for holding on John Franklin-Myers as it should have been
    that's from another site but also the one where mims did have OPI should have offset from unnecessary roughness where the DB threw him to the ground after the play

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The defense gave up over 200 rushing yards and they are a stud? The drive where we held them to -17 yards was because Hill fumbled the ball backwards without being hit. The Saints are a poor offense, on the road, in the cold, and they still hung a 30 burger on us.

94Abraham, Acad23, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the awful calls seems to always happen to the team that's the underdog. The officiating is so bad and consistent, while I'm not really a conspiracy theory guy... It's really fishy at this point.

I wouldn't bet a dime on the NFL if I did sports betting. Even if there's nothing going on behind the scenes, you're basically putting your money in the hands of an awful officiating crew because NFL penalties are that detrimental to winning.

abyzmul likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

the 200 yards is deceptive. hill had 44 yards on a desperation sell out with less then 2 mins left in the game down by 14. the game was over at that point. kamara is kamara and got his but wasn't a world beater. just a good game by him. and his 16 yard TD should have been called back for holding. I pointed out that are a bad offense but they weren't moving the ball very effectively overall
    yeah the reffing is getting worse and worse every week in the NFL as a whole. they really need to add more technology to officiating like the MLB has

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I love hall but kamara broke him down on that td run. Not killing him just saying

as for the skill positions, I said it during the game. This is a different game if Carter is healthy. There were yards out there that he gets the others just don’t.

Mogriffjr and abyzmul like this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Can't agree at all about the defense - I thought they were awful.

The offense was terrible, but Wilson has to be mentioned specifically as being a super dud - this game was one of the worst QB performances I have seen from a Jets QB in decades, and as we all know, that includes a hell of a lot of bad quarterbacking. Some of the passes he missed on badly would be completed by a Pop Warner quarterback.

Berrios deserves specific positive mention, both on special teams and as a receiver. To me, he, Mann, and Pineiro were the only people who could be considered studs.

Jets79, Jets69, tomdeb and 4 others like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The defense was bad and it would’ve been so much worse if the Saints called a more aggressive game plan. They can play the conservative, take the yards and punt game that a lot of teams played against us early in the season and for large parts of the second half of games because they pretty much know we can’t score.

@statjeff22 summed this all up perfectly.

8. GasedAndConfused

kamara is one of the toughest to bring down 1 on 1 in space in the NFL. plus JFM should have had backside support if he wasn't held. it should have been called back and -10 yards on the offense for holding and we wouldn't' be discussing it at all. we were down our top 5 players on offense arguably 6 of our top 10 depending on where you rank becton. no team can really play an offense with that many injuries.

9. FJF

I know what kamara is. You don’t have to defend anything . I was just stating the fact that hall got highlight reeled on that play, regardless of what should have happened .

abyzmul likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The only game all year where the jets offense looked in sync was QB White against the Bengals. They moved up and down the field with confidence. Wilson to me really looks like the 9th grade quarterback trying to pilot the varsity. He doesn't have any confidence, can't make the easy throws, and even when he runs he slides 5 yards too early out of fear. I don't see Zach Wilson as much other than another Browning Nagle, another big arm QB and not much else. I laughed when Nagle once got under center in a 1992 game and then spread his arms to quiet the crowd so teammates could hear his signals. When the crowd roared even louder, Nagle probably remembered that the jets were playing in Denver, not at home.

papapump likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

true. still if the refs didn't screw us it would have been for nothing on kamaras part. meanwhile anytime we make a play it's called back on a phantom call. it does get frustrating to watch. I'd rather see the jets just get stomped out fairly then to watch the refs make the game unenjoyable with nonsense

12. GasedAndConfused

that slide was not early. I know they said that on the broadcast but it was a smart play. i'll show you when the all 22 comes out. the endzone angle showed it perfect. if cole had held a block zach might have gone for a TD

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

wait a minute - are you saying we have a "top TE"? :p

I recall at one stage Wilson was 2 of 12 which is just staggeringly bad

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Rams are down 2/5 offensive lineman tonight, their starting tightend, WR2, top corner, and are on their 3rd and 4th running backs.

They’re one of the healthier teams in the league. It’s just the way the sport works now especially with 17 game seasons and trying to win the marathon rather than the sprint.

15. GasedAndConfused

lol kroft isn't great but he's solid and better then griffin

and yeah but that also included 3 ty johnson drops. zach was off the mark on a lot of throws though but also had a ton of drops

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes but I think half the drops are because Zach’s ball placement is flat out terrible…I’d have to go back and watch them all but one of Ty’s drops the ball was literally behind him…he had to twist back just to get his hands on the ball

I think the drops are just as much Zach’s fault as anything

too many low throws, high throws, off target throws, or like 100mph throws on a five yard wheel route

At this point I am so down on this QB…he sucks…I get rookie struggles, I get backup WRs, but too many throws were to wide open guys and he was SO off the mark

and the defense is in no way a stud…giving up 30 points to Taysom fucking Hill with a bad finger and a bunch of third string receivers is terrible. How about that drive where we had NO inside their ten yard line, and we let them drive the entire field

at some point you have to get off the field

We keep going three and out, which sucks, but hey, how about our defense gets a three and out once in a while

94Abraham, REVISion and tomdeb like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There were no studs in yesterday's game.

To say otherwise is just ridiculous.

Jets79, REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

On the short passes, Zach either bounces them or he throws the ball 100 mph--no wonder they can't catch them.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

ST’s was a standout all the way. Berrios continues to show he needs to be resigned. Likely as a hedge in the slot, a good 4th/5th WR who can be used on gadget plays. And remember when he was called fair catch Berrios? I believe he leads the league in KR/PR average.

Mann probably is finally healthy. He boomed that 60 yarder in the supposed wind and he also nailed NO with a nice coffin corner punt. He’s struggled with average all year but he’s been pinpoint in placing his punts inside the 20. EP kicking 3 FG’s…all around good effort for specials.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. FJF

Pinero was 3 for 3. I n is that’s routine for 31 teams in the league but that’s stud quality around here

Savatage likes this.