GAC -Mock Offseason 1.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 21, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Seems to be the trend lately so might as well start mine

Starting Estimated Cap Room 54.5 mil

Cuts for cap room (15.8)
    shaq lawson (9 mil)
    GVR (3.5)
    Ryan Griffin (3.3)

Total Cap room after cuts 70.0 Mil
    rookie pool needed (estimated 15 mil Due to 2 high 1sts)
    total spending power 55 mil

Resigns
    feeny 1 year 2 mil
    joyner 1 year 3 mil
    kroft 2 years 6 mil (3 per year)
    foley 3 years 12 mil (4 per year)
    LDT 1 year 5 mil
    berrios 2 years 4 mil (2 per year)

Total resigns 19 mil. cap left 36 mil

RFA/ERFAs/Minimums (total about 4 mil for all below)
    ward
    guidry
    jeff smith
    white
    phillips
    walters

Cap left 32 mil

players that can walk (bigger names)

Maye - wants too much coming off an Achilles injury, may not be ready for 2022
    crowder - gonna be 29 and command more then we should pay him as a WR3
    cole - made some nice catches but really a WR4 at best and i'd rather have young people there
    jarad davis - waste of money
    moses - just been ok. rather start building youth. he'll want to start somewhere and we don't have room for that

Free Agency (28 mil total)
    TE OJ Howard 4 years 32 mil (8 mil avg)
    RB Connor 2 years 12 mil (6mil avg)
    WR Christian Kirk 3 years 36 mil (12 mil avg)
    K younghoe Koo 3 years 6 mil (2 mil avg)

That leaves us with about 4 mil which we'll want to keep for in season stuff. Of course the number can be a little higher based on structure

Draft (no trade mock draft)

Round 1 (4) - Hamilton (S)
    This obviously depends on what happens before us. Det, Hou, and Jax all pick before us. Det will likely take KT or hutchinson. Jax will take neal. So it depends on houston who will take either haimlton or whatever edge rusher is there. Honestly I think They take the edge leaving us with hamilton and i'm not mad about it at all

Round 1 (7) (from seattle) - Karlaftis (EDGE)
    with the seattle pick right now it stands at 7, i think by the end of the year it'll drop down to 10ish area. still at 7 Karlaftis should be there as the 3rd best edge in the draft in a draft full of edge rushers. I'm going to go heavy on defense and this covers edge and safety now. Karlaftis will rotate with lawson, JFM, and huff and possibly blair in a good edge group

Round 2 (36) - Wydermeyer (TE)
    was originally thought of as a late 1st early 2nd and has slipped a little. should be there at 36. Wydermeyer likely starts as a rookie and goes with kroft and oj howard. yeboah can be our 4th TE ro be on the PS if we only keep 3

Round 2 (39) (from carolina) - Lecitus Smith (OG)
    O-line isn't a big priority right now surprisingly. even without becton the jets o-line has went form worst to average this year. JD has turned it around. Still IDK if LDT is a long term answer and we always need depth. Smith is a converted TE and big and athletic and fits our scheme well. Could battle for a starting job as a rookie and solidfy the o-line. Fant has been great as has mcgovern. AVT is doing great for a rookie. becton and smith complete thelineup. LDT can be depth for us. GVR can be cut.

Round 3 (68) - Kylar Gordon (CB)
    again were going heavy on defense. We do need some CB help as well. hall is great, echols has been a pleasent suprise. Carter is a nice nickel and guidry a good dime. after those 4 though we are not looking good. Gordon has all the traits to be a CB1 for us allowing more depth and an upgrade at CB1/2 with hall and echols can move into a reserve role

Round 4 (109) From Carolina - Owen Pappoe (LBer)
    I'd prefer chad muma personally if he falls here but not sure he'll drop out of the top 100. Pappoe should be here though and he's a speedy LBer that fits our system perfectly as a WILL and can take over for mosley in 2023 when we cut him and provide much needed depth to a thin LBer group in 2022.

Round 4 (111) From Minnesota - Tykee Smith (S)
    Yeah I know it's another safety but maye is walking. riley is a fring roster player, I have joyner for 1 year asa stop gap but we need more depth. adding smith makes davis and smith the reserves with joyner and hamilton starting and smith or davis should replace joyner in 2023 as a starter in an open competition.

Round 5 (145) Calvin Austin III (WR)
    A small speedy WR who can play slot or outside. he's basically low budget elijah moore and will replace cole as the WR4 hopefully.

Round 5 (156) (From Pitt) - OT Obinna Eze
    Massive 6-8 330lb OT with athleticism. a project player who needs to work on technique but it's the 5th round and he has potential to be our starting RT in a couple of years when we move on from fant. Combined with becton thats 700lbs protecting the edges.

So with this draft I didn't do any trades.
    Roster (R) = Rookie, (FA) = Free agent

Defense

EDGE Lawson, JFM, Karlaftis(R), Huff, philips, Blair
    DT Q, Foley, Rankins, Shepard (no change here, none needed)
    LBer Mosley, Sherwood, Quincy, Pappoe (R), Nasirildeen
    CB Hall, Gordon(R), Carter II, Echols, Guidry
    S Hamilton (R), Joyner, Davis, Smith (R)

(24)

Offense

Offense doesn't get as much love in this draft as it's been the focus for the past 2 offseasons but We do get some instant help. Mostly in 2nd round TE wydermeyer. He's an instant upgrade at TE for us and should be better then any TE we've had in the past decade. OG Smith is the perfect RG for us and our scheme and should be an upgrade over LDT who can stay as depth. Cade Otten in the 4th provides depth and an overhaul at TE where 3 of our current 5 TEs should be gone (keep kroft and yeboah). FInally with 2 5th rounders We get a future RT in eze to take over when fant walks in a year or 2 as well as austin III who is the perfect WR3 for our system to take crowders place if he walks. Probably in 2023 though

QB Wilson, White
    RB Carter, connor (FA), Ty, walters
    WR Davis, Moore, kirk (FA), Austin III (R), Berrios, Mims
    TE Wydermeyer(R),Howard (FA), Kroft,
    OT Becton, Fant, Edoga, Eze(R)
    OG AVT, LDT, Smith (R),
    C Mcgovern, Feeny
    FB Bawden

(25)

K Koo (R)
    LS Hennesey
    P Mann
    PR/KR Berrios
    SP/T Hardee

(4)

Notable PS players
    OG Clark
    TE Yeboah
    WR Jeff Smith
    DE Ward

Thats a 53 man roster and most of our cap room spent with just enough to work with during the season. We still have another year before we cna compete but I feel it's a good improvement.

On offense I think moore will be a true WR1 in this league and kirk gives us a 2B to davis 2A. it's a really good top 3 and I think he's an upgrade to crowder. I like Austin II in the raft as our WR4 and of course berrios is proven to be a solid WR5. mims gets 1 more year to earn his place in the NFL. if he can't i'd be ok moving on and elevating jeff smith as a WR6. Connor is a hug upgrade at RB to coleman and pairs nicely with carter. He's a great recieving back and a tough runner and a smart vet who can pick up blitzes. i'd like to see him as the 3rd down/short yardage back while carter plays on 1st and 2nd downs.at TE we shell out the money needed to fix the position. our TEs are trash overall. Howard won't stay in TB he wanst to be paid and they are too stacked as it is to worry about him. they still have gronk and brate at TE plus evans and AB at WR and likely bring back godwin as well and fournette. Howard and wydermeyer will be our top 2 TEs while kroft gives us a known quantity in depth in case wydermeyer struggles as a rookie. On the o-line I took an OG who could start over LDT as a rookie but should be our future RG for the next decade. I also took a developmental tackle we can try to coach up to be our RT of the future when we move on from fant.

On Defense I really wanted to address the back 7 which outside the CB group is bad. Taking hamilton just makes sense with our 1ts pick. He has troy palamalu potential. he does everything. he's huge, fast, smart, and a good player already that isn't just potential. he's a game changer in the back end who can create turnovers for us. we also bring back joyner for a eyar to start next to him and have davis and rookie smith as the depth guys. I know davis is hated here but I see potential in him he just makes too many mistakes in the run game right now but with another year of a reserve role and practice I think he can take over in 2023. Plus having hamilton to lead the safety group will be a huge help. at the CB group I only added gordon who cna push echols for the CB2 job opposite hall and provide depth if hall or echols was to go out. I think we are good at Ni and Dime with carter and guidry so gordon won't be needed a lot as a rookie unless he beats echols but he kicks pinnock off the roster who is awful. At Lber We'll need another year for when mosley walks and we add mroe tlaent but for now I added pappoe. a speedy sam who can be a 3 down backer for us. the coaching staff likes mosley and quincy in the base nickel for now but for 2023 it's likely pappoe and sherwood or a FA/high pick. still should be good enough for 2023. Finally the D-line, not a lot has changed except for adding an edge in the top 10 with karlaftis. him and lawson coming back plus JFM and huff and phillips and blair should provide a fresh rush with subs in and out like saleh likes. JFM can also slide inside and rush at DT with Q on 3rd downs and lawson/karlaftis on the outside. that could be a scary rush to face, espcially with hall/echols/carter in man and hamilton roving back there waiting to pick a ball off.

On special teams i shelled out a little for koo. He's not making much and has been great, i think we can lure him away with a little raise. he's 90% on FGs for his career, and 95% on XPs. doens't have a huge leg but very accurate. also he's 11-12 at 50+ so can hit 50 yarders. he's also the best onside kick kicker in the game.

KY Jets Fan, westiedog1, Noam and 3 others like this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

You know what the problem here is? Is that this looks like a good solid plan, maybe (probably?) even a little better than things are likely to turn out and assuming all this happened and everything goes "reasonably" well (which is better than normal by far in Jets land) where does that leave us? 6 or 7 wins maybe?

Now maybe our two newly drafted defensive guys turn out to be absolute animals, Zach suddenly takes 5 leaping steps forward, bonds with the new TE and starts kicking ass and we find some random 6th round pick guy that turns out to be a star and we burst all the way up to 9 wins or something but reality is there is pretty much no chance of that happening.

I'm actually feeling less hopeful at the moment than I think I have at any point in the last few years. If there is a realistic way out of the hole I'm currently not seeing it personally.

3. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Only thing's I'd differ on...
    I'd try to keep Moses, just keeping sure we have the insurance at the tackle positions esp if Becton doesn't return this year
    I personally wouldn't touch Hamilton with our first pick (if he's there with Seattle's pick, i'd be all for it though)
    Karlaftis I'm not sure is worth a top 10 pick at this moment, and a pretty hard sell if we took Hamilton first going defense/defense in the top 10.

Love the Wydermeyer pick
    Interested to see the OJ Howard market, and are the Bucs going to try and keep him or try and retain Godwin (might have an interest in him as well)

4. GasedAndConfused

were not built to compete until 2023. it's just reality. we have to nail this offseason and next. zach needs to progress and he'll be in year 3, and we need our core guys to stay healthy. i'd expect about 6 wins in 2022 with this squad. which is double what were getting this year and this year we almost doubled what we had the year before. it's progress. then in 2023 we could be a 10ish win team who can compete if all goes well

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice job. Hamilton is moving up but I like him and his range. The Jets notoriously do not use the TE position as it should be and I would not waste a high 2nd on a TE

6. GasedAndConfused

i'm not against keeping moses personally. but he was a late grab for us and realistically he wants to start so if someone offers him a starting job and based on the lack of talent in the NFL at O-line i'm thinking he gets a starting job. fant and becton will be our starters

right now on D we need playmakers at all levels. our safety group is in bad shape as are the Lbers and the pass rush. Hamilton makes the most sense in a BPA and need way. it's hard to pass on elite prospects especially at a position of need. He's probably the best player in the draft. Karlaftis is worth a top 10 pick and by the end of the year we'll be picking around 10ish with seattle. he'll be the best edge available. we've invested so much in offense in recent drafts (becton top 15, AVT top 15, wilson 2nd overall, moore 34th overall, mims 2nd rounder) the past 2 years 3 1sts and 2 2nds all went to offense. our top 5 picks over the past 2 years. it's time to work on the defense. The offense has already shown it can be good when healthy and it'll only improve as zach gets better. plus i'm shelling out for a TE and adding a TE in the 2nd and upgrading WR3 and RB2 already. We aren't gonna find an elite safety cheap or edge cheap. so drafting those positions is best IMO if it makes sense.

I don't think the bucs keep him honestly. they have brate and gronk still. are short on cap and probably want to resign godwin who's gonna cost quite a bit. and fournette who won't be cheap

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

in the past we haven't save for a few outliers however we do have a new system and it's one where the TE is used a lot. like kittle in SF and even GB spent some money and picks trying to find good TEs. we've used kroft and griffen alot even though they aren't that good. If we had a real TE we would use them and use a lot more 2 TE sets to run and pass out of

boozer32 likes this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Nice work. Joyner is out with an arm injury right? Aka something he can totally rebound from. I'd take that safety help for sure.

I think the jets needs to spend on a linebacker in free agency. Even if it's not the best long term move, the position is so bad it needs to be upgraded with a vet in my opinion on top of the draft.

9. GasedAndConfused

he's been banged up all year and barely played. signed a 1 year prove it deal, didn't prove it so likely he'd be willing to do it again

10. boozer32

I agree I wish the Jets used the TE position more in the passing game. I just haven't seen it much since Mickey Shuler's days. Griffin caught a lot from Sam Darnold. Then another tank season and they went away from trying to score at all.

11. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think this offensive staff with LeFleur wants to do that, we just don't have the talent to do it this year.

boozer32 and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Resigning Feeney?

The guy couldn't force his way past GVR and let's be honest here, he must be the only person in the league not to force himself past GVR's barn door approach to blocking.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

As always, I respect the effort you put in to this. I haven't had a chance to read up on this prospective draft class yet, so I don't have a serious objection to your picks. Normally, I'm not in favor of drafting a safety that high unless all the other prospects pale in comparison. That said, there's no doubt we could use help at safety having lost Adams and Maye from that '17 class. Nevertheless, I disagree about our defensive line. Jet opponents have run rampant this season and much of that has to do with an inability of the line to stuff the run. We need a Damon Harrison type up front. I'm not necessarily proposing using a #1 on a DT. However, somewhere in the draft we should look for a large body to help out there.

14. GasedAndConfused

we haven't really had a TE who can do it. keller had a year or 2 for us then fell off, herndon was good as a rookie then fell off. we haven't really had a good pass catching TE for a long while.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Berrios gonna make significant more than $2 mil per

IDFjet likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

he's played well in spot duty this year. he's also versatile in that he can play C or OG. he's our only backup C. when your talking about backup cheap lineman you want them to be versatile. I have no problems with feeny at all being here another year as a backup
    I get the whole not taking a safety that high thing for sure, but it is a big need for us and he's very possibly the best overall player in this draft with troy palamalu type potential. He can do it all. he's huge and physical and smart. a better prospect then adams was and would add an instant playmaker on the back end who can help in run support and create turnovers. Check out this draft bio of him https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kyle-hamilton/dohC9Wztil If we can't land hutchinson or KT with our 1st pick, It would be hard to pass on hamilton. Not to mention we have 5 picks in the top 69 currently including 2 top 10 picks so plenty of picks to fill other holes and we could trade down with our 2nd 1st rounder for more picks as well.

As far as the run defense goes, it's been on the LBers. mosley just doesn't fit this system. him and qinucy struggle with picking wrong gaps and overruning plays. we also get very little support form safeties in the run game. it's not the DTs, they are playing very well. If we can keep foley, Q, rankins, and shep we are fine at DT. we need better lBers and safeties to improve the run game and hamilton on his own will be a huge help

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

maybe, maybe not. he's a 27 year old role player who's physically limited and a WR 4-6 on most rosters. yes we love him, doesn't mean GMs are lining up to throw money at him.

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think he's going to get double what you think, maybe $3.5-4 mil per. It only takes one GM to realize he's a baller. Perfect slot/gadget guy. Throw him on a team with a real QB and he's a legit weapon.

K'OB and IDFjet like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

it's possible for sure. we'll have to wait and see

20. boozer32

Yes its been far too long. The Jets need a TE that they can feature and Zach can trust when he needs to get that the first down of red zone touchdown.