GAC - Mock Draft 4.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 1, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Done so far in offseason

Re-signings:
    Braxton Berrios WR
    Will Parks S
    Mike White QB
    Eddy Pineiro K
    Joe Flacco QB
    Conor McDermott OT
    Lamarcus Joyner S
    Nick Bawden FB
    Tevin Coleman HB
    Nathan Shepherd DT

Free Agency:
    Laken Tomlinson, RG
    CJ Uzomah, TE
    Jordan Whitehead, SS
    DJ Reed, CB
    Tyler Conklin, TE
    Jake Martin, EDGE
    Greg the Leg K
    Solomon Thomas DT

Projected moves

Cuts:
    Ryan Griffin (3.2M)
    GVR (3.5)
    Shepard (after draft when we get the 2 DTs) (900k)
    Ty Johnson (after draft when we replace him) (965k)

Free Agency: Resign
    Keelan Cole WR (1 year 2 mil)

salary cap gain 6.565M

Draft

Things have been changing with rumors of KT falling out of the top 5 and hamilton falling out of the top 10 so based on that (and i'd probably shit my pants if we pull this off but)

4 - Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE
    I really think he's going to slide to 4. I think the top 3 go ekwonu, hutch, walker. O-line and edge are all premium positions, jax likely wants to sure up the o-line and ekwonu can play almost any position and lawerence needs the help badly. they added a bunch of WRs in FA for the offense and have 2 good RBs. they already have 1 stud edge in josh allen and can grab another with pick 33 with the depth in this draft. Lions will want hutch or trade back to a team wanting him or a QB. if hutch falls to 3 I think the texans grab him but if not I think walker is the type of player they'd like to take a shot at. I really don't see a way KT goes in the top 3 with hutch and walker ahead of him on most boards at edge now and with jax needing a lineman and ekwonu there.

10 - Kyle Hamilton S
    People are saying he's gonna fall out of the top 10 due to his 40 time. But if you watched it he ran it very poorly it's not a sign of his play speed. also his football IQ is off the charts. people don't realize you can run a 4.4 40 but if it takes a second to know where to run now you are 5.4 seconds away. if you run a 4.7 but figure out where to go in .2 seconds you actually get there faster. as a safety who needs to read the play then get to the spot his IQ will get him there faster then most. On film he covers a lot a ground and fills a big need next to whitehead and allows joyner and davis to be depth guys

19 - Chris Olave WR
    Trade incoming. I think we can move up form 35 to get a WR. we package 35, 69, and 111 to move up to 19 with philly. At this point philly already had 2 picks to fill their top 2 needs (probably EDGE and WR) and like JD since he was in philly for them trading back for more picks makes sense. they don't have much cap space and have an aging roster. looking at the WR boards it seems most teams have a top 3 of williams, wilson, and london with burks at 4. that means olave is likely 5th but i feel he's underrated and fits our system perfectly. I don't think 5 WRs go before 19 i'm thinking the top 3 at most meaning burks, dotson, sky moore, and olave should all be options here. I like olave a lot. i think he's WR3 personally behind wilson and williams. this would land us IMO the 2nd best edge, the top safety, and the 3rd best WR in the draft

38 - Travis Jones DT
    Jets clearly want to build the lines. we lost foley but kept shepard as insurance but he can be cut with no cap loss if we get his replacement. we want a young cheap stud there and jones will fit nicely next to Q

117 - Jerome Ford RB
    we have carter but not much behind him. coleman is who is he and is on a cheap 1 year deal. we still need a 1B to carters 1A as MLF likes to rotate RBs and keep them fresh. ford is a similar back to carter but also has homerun speed and fits the system well

146 - Cam Jurgens - C
    Depth on the o-line is always important. We've obviously locked in our starters for the next 3-4 years with AVT and tomlinson but adding more depth always helps. especially if we need a replacement at some point because we can't resign AVT or have to cut tomlinson in 3 years. He may be able to replace mcgovern as well. you just never know. originally had strange but I think he's going in the late 3rd now so I picked the top interior o-line who would likely be available.

163 - Noah Elliss - DT
    a big DT to fill the gap foley left along with travis jones. slaeh/mac said they want 8 starters on the d-line. eliss and jones take over as the big body run stuffers. it makes for a great rotation overall going 10 deep. guys like marshall can be on the PS and shepard can be cut since we got his replacement

Analsys:

I think this draft really fits the JD mold. We address the D-line with Edge and 2 DTs. we get a unicorn in hamilton and a playmaker in olave at WR. He's willing to trade up for is guy like he did with AVT so moving up form 35 seems very real to me to grab a 3rd 1st rounder. with that extra 2nd and extra 4th it's not much of a loss to give up a 3rd and 4th to do that and we still get a full 7 players but nothing in the 6th or 7th or 3rd but get 2 extra 1sts and an extra 2nd. I know there is TE and LBer value but It doesn't seem like LBer is a need in the jets eyes and we just signed 2 TEs and an develop yeboah so TE and LBer can wait until next year

roster after this

Offense (25)

QB wilson, flacco, white
    WR1 Davis, Berrios
    WR2 Moore, Cole (resign)
    WR3 Olave (R), Mims
    TE Uzomah (FA), Conklin (FA), Wesco,
    OT Becton, Edoga
    OT Fant, Mcdermott
    OC Mcgovern, Jurgens (R)
    OG AVT, Feeny
    OG Tomlinson (FA)
    HB Carter, Coleman, Ford (R)
    FB Bawden

Defense (24)

EDGE JFM, KT (R) Huff
    EDGE Lawson, Martin(FA)
    DT Jones (R), Eliss (R)
    DT Q, Rankins, Thomas (FA)
    LBer Mosley, Quincy, sherwood, nasrildean, phillips
    CB Reed(FA), Hall, Carter, Guidry, Echols
    S Whitehead(FA), Hamilton (R) Joyner, Davis,

NOTE: on big pass rush downs we can line up Lawson, JFM, Q, KT

Special teams (4)
    K Greg the Leg
    P Mann
    LS Hennesey
    GN Hardee

notable PS players
    Jeff Smith WR
    Jonathan Marshall DT
    Pinnock S
    Dunn CB
    Yeboah TE
    Austin Walter RB
    Will Parks S

#1 GasedAndConfused, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Pepsiguy5, westiedog1, Jeff M and 2 others like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I like it. I don't really have a favorite favorite in this draft, in other words, will be really pissed if the Jets don't get him. However, there are two I like a lot and that's Hamilton and Olave and you got them both. As we all know Edge is very hit or miss, but if you need one, and the Jets do, and one falls your way, you have to pull the trigger. It's too important of a position to ignore.

GasedAndConfused and Noam like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It’s a decent draft but they would need to address OT at some point - preferably on the high end. Nobody is sure which Becton shows up, Edoga doesn’t belong on an NFL roster, and McDermott’s ceiling is a back-up.

JohnnyP123456 and Jojo like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

IDK fans tend to way overstate things. edoga is a solid backup saying he doesn't deserve to be on a roster is a bad start.becton when healthy has proven he's a legit starter. fant was top 10 last year at LT and we are supposedly looking to extend him. mcdermott is a decent swing guy but wouldn't bother me if we replace him.

The biggest issue with fans and what they don't realize is that many teams don't even have 2 quality starting OTs. we have that and a decent backup. Edoga would be starting on some teams which should tell you the lack of OT talent in the NFL. we really don't need one right now especially not high but a late rounder to build on is fine but not necessary.

5. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

EDOGA stinks...no way is he a starter.

mrjet80 and REVISion like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

he's not starter material but he's a solid backup. the issue is there aren't 64 starting material OTs in the NFL. ask most fans they all think their o-line sucks. as much as we hated on ours last year it was above average even with backups. thats how bad the o-line talent is in the NFL right now. it's way behind the d-line talent

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

KT looks less and less likely.. it sucks because I like him a lot. I have him as my #1 prospect in the draft based on talent and impact he can have an unbelievable career. Here is the thing.. if it’s true he’s not JD/Saleh’s flavour then what do we do at #4? I really feel we trade back.

Kyle Hamilton us my number 2 overall player. I obviously agree with your picks I just don’t think is plays out this way.

barfolomew likes this.
  8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We pick Hutch when he slides to 4

Rockinz likes this.
  9. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good call. Going against Chase every day in practice had to have made him a better player

I thought a similar thing about Thibodeaeux going against Sewell every day at Oregon

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I hope ur right but Vegas and my gut feeling says he goes 1 overall

REVISion likes this.
  12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I appreciate the effort but i don't like the trade up. We need all our picks.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Do you remember Dee Milliner? Picking a player who has been often injured is such a SOJ thing to do. No thanks.

Not to mention that Saleh said he's happy with the CBs, and his style of defense doesn't depend on on "superstars" back there. I'd say I would be shocked if Douglas took him, but then I remember that it would be a SOJ move.

14. GasedAndConfused

not all picks will find room on the roster. 2 picks form last year I have listed on the PS. we still wind up with 7 picks but better ones. I'd much rather have olave then a 2nd round WR just to have an extra 3rd round pick. it comes down to would you rather have a WR1 or a WR3 and a backup safety lol it's an easy choice

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I will be honest, I am against the Hamilton and Olave picks....I am going out on a limb but I like Jameson better than most wideouts in this draft

Noam likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

I do too but he'll be gone. jameson and wilson are the top 2. both will be gone by 20. we can jump GB to grab olave who i have as WR3
    hamilton at 10 is a steal and just what we need on defense. do you not remember riley costing us the bucs game? hamilton doesn't make that mistake

17. mrjet80

Most of the mocks currently show KT at #4 to the Jets ?

18. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Trust me I understand, if we are gonna go that directed than we should draft a kicker at 10 (sarcasm) because our kickers have costed us tons of games over the last few years

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Probably. I tend to overdraft OL in my mocks.

Iky shores up the Jax line. He starts at LG and slides over next year (sound familiar). Idt Hutch makes a difference in their D but Iky solidifies their O. Same goes for Neal and the Texans.

Rockinz likes this.
  20. mrjet80

Fant is fine for now but he is going to be 30. I don’t see JD extending him unless it’s on his terms. Fant is going to want to squeeze every last dime being this is probably his last big extension. Becton needs to prove his can stay on the field. He has proven he has talent. Counting on him for staying on the field for 17 games as of now is a risk in itself until proven otherwise. The Jets would be wise to find a way to bring another OT into the fold.

OTs drafted in the third round such as Edoga need to show a little more. Back up? Fine. Better hope that “back up” isn’t enlisted full time. A lot of young QBs have been ruined that way….There’s a reason JD went out and drafted Becton in the first place.