GAC - INDY Defensive breakdown. what went wrong (and focus on davis)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 8, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

This will be a going thread for a bit as I update it but feel free to comment. Lots of it stems from how bad the defense was and many people blaming ashtyn davis as "trash" so I want to see how true this is and what other issues we had.

I'll start with the 1st drive.

1st and 10. 9 yard run

[​IMG]
    Here is the formation. we are in Nickel. 4 rushers in wide 9. typicall good for a pass rush play. zone coverage in a flat zone around around 5-6 yards off the ball. The idea is to shut down the quick pass and let the rushers get home when it's not open. The issue is indy calls a run which we are just really in a bad defense for.

[​IMG]

Here is the snap. you see the handoff or PA coming. Davis is the single deep safety. his job is simply to make sure nothing goes deep. Seems ulbrich though indy would try a short pass and had davis back to cover the scramble deep where wentz chucks it up. The Lbers are way too far off the ball and need to be aggressive to the gaps here. It's something saleh spoke us as well after the game.

[​IMG]

Here the RB has the ball. Davis sees it and comes down. but he's not really in the play at this point. Look at all those big ass running lanes though. the D-line is just beat 1v1 and they have extra blockers and the RB has tons of options.

[​IMG]

Mosley made a nice play getting off his block and making the tackle or it could have been a much bigger run but they still got 9 yards.

So what went wrong? 2 things. 1 the play call was really bad for a run. it's clear ulbrich thought they were going pass. the LBers need to be more aggressive and the d-line just got owned. As far as davis goes, he did what he was supposed to do but wasn't part of the play.

1st and 10. 4 yard run (they got a 1st on an offsides prior to this)

[​IMG]
    Here is the formation. pretty much the same as last play. Nickel with a wide D-line. The big difference is davis is on the right side not the left.

[​IMG]
    as the play happens we can see its a 4 rusher man coverage. Davis is the box safety and maye drops off to be the deep safety. Defense is in better position here for sure. everyone is manned up. we have 2 Lbers watching the gaps inside and davis on the outside top screen crashing in for his gap

[​IMG]
    Davis shoots the gap and makes the tackle holding them to 4 yards.

Overall a solid defensive play. Davis played it perfect. read the play correctly. watched his gap, then crashed in and made the tackle when the RB was hitting the gap. If there are more plays like this then the PFF rating makes sense for sure but we shall see

2nd and 6 (incomplete pass)

[​IMG]
    Here is the formation. same as last play. not much to go over here

[​IMG]
    here is the snap. maye is deep man again. davis is crashing the box for the run. were in man coverage. they PA. the big thing here is the left side of the d-line wins. it's a screen play to the top of the screen but the CB up there is playing it well and davis is in good position. the left side of the line gets right in as the o-line fails to hold them up enough

[​IMG]
    Here is after the play action. Big props to JFM on the heads up play. him and the DT are both in. JFM peels off to cover the RB so wentz can't flip it out to him. he recognized the play and took away an outlet so the DT can get in. the o-line is held up by the other DE and isn't in position. just a great play by the d-line all around

[​IMG]
    Went is hit as he tries to throw the screen

[​IMG]
    ball is way short and even if he got it there it was well covered. just a win for the D

Obviously nothing went wrong it was a successful play. mostly won by the left side of the d-line and a heads up play by JFM. davis was in good position if he did complete it and the CB up there was ready to push him inside or make the tackle.

3rd and 6 (9 yard pass 1st down)

[​IMG]
    here is the formation. jets are showing man blitz on 3rd down. 7 in the box. single high safety (maye is high davis in the box) and man outside.

[​IMG]
    after the snap they drop into zone. a flat zone to cover the sticks. It's a good play call. show blitz, make the QB want to get rid of it quick but drop back and come up and make the tackle before the get the 1st.

[​IMG]
    here is where it starts to go bad. 1st off we get 0 pressure. 2ndly the secondary looks confused. ashtyn passes off the 2 guys one to the outside CB and one to the inside LBer in davis. then he sees the CB doens't take him and tries to recover. heads up play and didn't affect anything but good cover for a CB out of position.

[​IMG]
    ok now it doens't look too bad though. the routes they ran actually helped us out. it was to clear a guy on the drag underneath. where we have jarrad davis and mosley waiting to stop him short

[​IMG]
    here you see wentz cocked back going to the underneath guy. jarrad davis is too far back and he needs to be shooting in as does mosley right now. but they are on their heels

[​IMG]
    look how far off davis is now. he's 4 yards behind the line to gain. he should have been on top of him. worse off he misses the tackle too.

What went wrong? well probably a few things, but ultimately this was on jarrad davis.he faded back and didn't protect the 1st down marker. the d-line getting 0 pressure didn't help either

I'm gonna skip a couple of plays but here are the skipped ones
    8 yard pass against zone. should have been 2 yards but mosley missed a tackle
    6 yard pass. echols gets beat on a quick curl route
    13 yard pass. looked like confusion between maye and hall which left a zone empty for a wide open WR

IDFjet and JackBower like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

1st and 10 34 yard TD

[​IMG]
    here is the formation. very similar as most of the drive. nickel package. showing man. 2 high safeties 2 LBers.

[​IMG]
    here is the snap. davis crashes the box as an extra run defender. maye is the single high safety,

[​IMG]
    look at the gaping hole made by the o-line. Ashtyn Davis and another player are on that side trying to fill the gaps.

[​IMG]
    textbook job by ashtyn. he fills the gap and forces the RB to cut back inside.

[​IMG]
    RB cuts back but LBer jarrad davis completly over-pursued the play and is now out of the play on the cutback. Maye also never came up when he seen the run and is so far off the ball he's useless.

[​IMG]
    Jarrad davis gave up his lane and now it's open field. maye has to make a decision and decides to sprint outside to try and stop the TD

[​IMG]
    he took a bad angle though and taylor just outruns everyone.

So what went wrong? A few things here. 1st off the d-line didn't get any penetration and gave a huge hole. Jarrad davis overran the play and left his gap giving the RB a cutback lane. Maye came up way too late to help and then took a bad angle to stop the TD.

Overall on this drive, the LBers were just bad. as was the front 7. The d-line was beat every play but 1 where the left side won. the right side of the D-line did nothing (lawson/Q/zuniga maybe) but jarrad davis was espcially bad, mosley had a bad missed tackle too, and maye had a bad drive. the playcalling was good save for 1 play and the secondary did good outside of maye and maybe hall on 1 play where the 2 of them were confused. I can't blame this on ulbrich or ashtyn davis at all though. we really need some LBer help. could be because jarrad davis is rusty and in a new system but he was a liablity on this drive on 2 key plays. one should have been a 3rd down stop and the other should have prevented that TD run

I'll do more drives in this thread as the week goes on. and feel free to ask questions and comment in the meantime.

JackBower, Noam and NY Jets68 like this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Thanks for the effort you put into this stuff, but Davis is awful and 2-3 plays isn't going to change most people's opinion. It's like a door to door salesman pitching a product that has 1-2 uses but is pure shit.

Honestly, for me, it can't be changed until future play shows he's better.

#3 JackBower, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Jets69, IDFjet, abyzmul and 1 other person like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

I'm not trying to change people's minds. I know that doesn't work. I'm looking to form my own opinion based out of actual evidence. the emotional speaking out of their ass fans will never be fair or reasonable or make any sense. you just have to ignore them and let them rant to feel better. I do this because I enjoy it and if others find it useful thats cool. If not, no skin off my back. I just want to see with my own eyes what the actual issues were. I still have like 5 drives to go through. maybe davis was awful. I don't know yet. He was fine on the 1st drive though.

I did this the beginning of the season when everyone was ragging on MF. I said he wasn't the issue. his play calls were good. it was the o-line and zach. now the last 2 games with a more experienced QB and the o-line doing a little better thanks to time together and getting some experiance and gelling and the offense is rolling. I know that doens't mean people will listen. espcially a chosen few I have on ignore here for good reason, but it's for my own fun and some people like seeing it too so i do it. It's just information, after that it's up to each person to be not insane with it. I mean look at aaron rodgers right now. he's a crazy anti-vaxxer. no facts will ever change his mind but in his mind he's right. that's just how some people are including some here and nothing will change that

Mogriffjr, JackBower and Noam like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like this stuff... whatever that's worth.

Still think it's bad schematics that are putting players in bad position.
    Not saying we'd be good... just not as porous.

And Aaron Rodgers is a "crazy anti-vaxxer"? o_O

ouchy likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

glad you do.
    as far as schemes go you'd have to be more specific. asking a former 1st round Lber making 7 mil a year to cover the right gap doesn't seem like a scheme issue to me but not sure if you are referring to something else.
    I have a hard time saying its the scheme personally becuase it's a proven scheme and our young cheap group of Cbs are flourishing. and many CBs have flourished in this scheme as well. It puts a lot of pressure on the front 4 to get home but the back 7 have it pretty easy in salehs scheme.

and yeah have you not seen some of the stuff aaron rodgers has said lately?

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Then maybe it's a bad fit for the talent on hand. The front 4 aren't producing and the linebacking has sucked.
    Look at where teams are breaking off chunks of yards... over the middle.

I'd love to be in the defense meeting rooms to hear how they're approaching things.

yeah... I'm aware of what that upstart Rodgers is up to... seems like he's more anti-protocol than anti-vax...:confused:

8. GasedAndConfused

I agree with that. we are in year 1 of a new system. we need to find the players to make it work. it's not that they can't though. it's that they are all young and inexperianced. we are also down 2 of our 3 best edge rushers on the line. next year with lason and huff and JFM and maybe we draft an edge as well it could be a huge difference. the staff was high on sherwood as well and he's hurt. our defense got bit by the injury bug and there comes a point when you are out there with 3rd and 4th stringers that no system can work.

and with rodgers you should see the stuff he said. I mean if he doens't want to get vaxxed that's fine. just say it and follow protocol. but he's off saying a bunch of crazy stuff he got from joe rogan as reasons on why he did what he did.

Acad23 and Noam like this.
  9. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

GAC, that's some patience you have there! Great stuff! As I mentioned in another thread, Davis stinks.

Jets69 and abyzmul like this.