FWD vs AWD?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYGalPal, Aug 29, 2019.

1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

What say you? I'm about to get a 4 cylinder SUV and saw a good price but it's FWD. The thing that's causing some apprehension is I'm worried about winter and the snow. If it's going to be a problem. Is it a valid concern or not much of a difference?

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Depends on where you live. In Florida, you really don't need AWD. But in New York metro area, AWD will be better due to weather. But it all comes down to price. The difference is typically a couple thousand dollars. If you can afford, go for AWD.

CBG likes this.
  3. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I live in NYC. I was thinking just maybe throwing on good snow tires but yeah maybe shouldn't chance it. Thanks for the input.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Answer this, if the weather is so bad that you are going to be worried about your fwd car making are you really going to be out in it? If the answer is yes het an awd if the answer is no the fwd will be fine. Most snowfalls are not too bad for fwd with good tires.

NYGalPal likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Most cars today are either FWD or AWD with a front wheel bias it probably doesn't matter. If you can't drive in snow with a front wheel drive car you're probably going to screw up in an AWD car.

If you can find an AWD car that drives the rear wheels in good condition you're going to have a better overall driving experience. Sadly most AWD cars have a front wheel bias.

I believe Audi and Subaru use a 50/50 system. Porsche is decidedly biased to the rear wheels. The rest are essentially FWD which transfer on a slip.

#5 Biggs, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    NYGalPal likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I recently bought an AWD but if I had found a FWD that I loved I would have bought it. To me if you love the SUV with the FWD then buy it. Besides I won't let it snow much by you I plan on doing all my snow dances in front of Brooks house

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There's a reason this FWD SUV has a great price. It defeats 1/2 the purpose of the vehicle, in my opinion.

Most luxury dealers won't even carry FWD SUV models on their lots because they sit for months.

That being said, a separate set of dedicated winter tires would be a great investment if you plan to move forward.

Edit: The one thing I will add re: winter tires:

I have a WRX Subaru with dedicated summer and winter tire and wheel sets.

Unless you have a lift, it's a pain to change them yourself. Also, if you don't get two sets of wheels, you will need to pay to have the tires re-balanced every time they take them off and put them back on. It's not costly, but over the life of the car, the money you are saving on FWD over the AWD may be null with the added costs 2x a year.

FYI - I have my winter and tire set with the TPMS sensors cloned so I can pop each set on and off without any mechanic's intervention. Subaru is a pain the ass because the TMPS computer only accepts 1 code, most other manufacturer's have them programmed to allow two sets. Anyway, it's a pain in the ass.

#7 GQMartin, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I believe Subaru is 60/40 Rear, even though they advertise as symmetrical - not sure how they can do that.

I had one and broke my rear differential driving through the woods like an idiot. so I drove it with 40% performance for awhile, that sure was interesting. I lived on a hill and I had to park at the bottom on the street and walk my ass up the hill everyday until I got it fixed because it wouldn't make it.

but yes, everything else in your post I agree with 100%. Tires are the most important in poor weather anyway

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I can't say I like Subaru's but I respect them because they are almost impossible to kill. Nice work.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Don't you have to prove you're a lesbian before they let you purchase a Subaru?

FJF and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. FJF

[​IMG]

NYJFOREVER and jilozzo like this.
  12. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I only buy Toyota, Honda, Lexus. American and German cars are garbage, poorly engineered, and highly overrated. I don't want to be in the shop for anything other than tire rotations, oil changes, and brake pads. I can take pretty much any model from either of those makes to 350-400K with proper maintenance no problem.

jilozzo likes this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I've owned 2 Lexus's The Lexus 350GS I owned had the computer system go at 40K and the exhaust system rusted out in 3 years. The SUV was fine if you liked driving a box that constantly oversteered.

Lexus is one of the most over-rated brands in the world. It's basically a Toyota with insulation. They did have good coffee in the service department. The best car I ever owned was a VW Passat. I literally had to shoot it to get rid of it.

If you're into longevity marry someone 20 years your junior. If you're into low maintenance marry a mail order bride from the Philippines.

Antoni, The Waterboy and stinkyB like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

toyota/lexus have the engine and transmission down right but they use shitty steel. if your frame rusts apart, what good is that engine? very unsafe.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. FJF

Not sure anyone has the quality steel needed for the brine they treat the roads with now.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If you buy a new car and plan on keeping it, case of 3M undercoating may be the best investment you make involving a vehicle. ;) (just dont spray the exhaust...trust me)

17. FJF

Not heat resistant I take it?

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

well.... unless you like the smell of burnt paint and rubber for a few weeks

FJF likes this.
  19. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

LOL. Good shit dude. Yeah, I had a VW Passat as well. I wanted to fucking hang myself.