Funny Thing About The Jets Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Funny Thing About The Jets Defense...It's actually gonna be better, faster, stronger & deeper....whether u can see that now ...or not. Its' happening.
    Jets have just started to put together a roster, & after getting over the emotional damage of seemingly losing key players. Actually...they have just moved fan favorites & slow-footed under-achievers from the defense. Look at the loses: Devito, Pouha, Pace, Thoms, Eric Smith, Bell, Bart Scott; {only Landry might be missed}, barely 10 sacks & 5 Int's out of the whole entire group; so actually Jets have opened room for a new Rex lead hungry defense.. Jets will have a whole new defense, Jets will be giving alot of young guys opportunities. Jets will have a faster, harder hitting defense this season. Already The D-Line & secondary are in place & can only improve. Its now about getting some OLB's & it looks like its coming. I for sure am looking forward to seeing the Jets new young players.:beer:

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I also think the Jet's D next year has a chance to be pretty good. Getting rid of the older slower players will have an effect and Rex and Thurman know what they're doing. The young guys aren't going to be a major issue,

3. Run_N_gun10

Yeah, I'm enthused!!! When u look over roster, Jets solid at NT with Harrison & Ellis. DE w/ Coples & Wilkerson. They just signed Garay, now just add a few more to this group....I like it.

4. Penning10

Penning10 Member

I agree with the OP to a point. I think we cut alot of dead weight on the defensive side and after a good draft we can have a good D with Rex running the show, but offensively the Jets will be just as bad if not worse than last year. I for one am willing to eat a terrible season if it means good thing will happen in 2014 and beyond.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Yea I pretty much agree. We just need to maybe get a safety (Dawan Landry?) and a outside LB (Barnes or Butler) and then drafting another OLB and a few other pieces I think this D will be faster and pretty good.

6. Run_N_gun10

Not to view all with rose-colored glasses, Jets have signed OG Willie Colon, they need another OG; draft/F.A. RB {would love to see Bradshaw, Felix Jones or Chris Ivory in Jets green. ASt least 2 of them. Wouldn't have to drafta RB.}; TE or 2; re-sign Braylon Edwards, start best QB on roster & run the football. Jets can beat u. Jets need new KR & PR.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Harris is still there.

8. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Can our offense really get worse though? If we can just eliminate some turnovers and regularly have the right personnel on the field, in a timely fashion, we can make a significant improvement on offense. You can win some games with the don't beat yourself/play not to lose strategy.

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

You want to know something as good and fast this defense can be.. Until we can sustain offense it will still be a over exhausted unit giving up points when its put in bad position ... Just the Real look on it... We need to find a way to keep these guys fresh to be effective! Grabbing a RB is a good start to FA, and grabbing colon is nice to, Lets hope the building continues and maybe we can surprise people next year

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

How about Revis?...

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Who needs Mevis when this beast is still on the market?

[​IMG]

12. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Revis stays..........!:wink:

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

it sounds weird but we need more first downs. Even when you do not score, first downs spare your defense wear and tear and, therefore, injury. Sanchez was a 3 and out machine.

14. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Yeah. I mean, generally when you lose most of your starters and veterans and play young guys and rookies, your defense gets better. Right? And it's not like it was Rex playing those guys because he thought they were better than the young guys. What could go wrong?

15. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I think Your right to a degree.. we will be faster we will be hungry and we will be flying to the ball BUT!.. WE HAVE TO REMEMBER .. we are talking about a very complex defense Rex runs.. it's also a matter of if the young starters can get used to the Playbook and style of play if so I will be very excited to see us play D in 2013 and longer.. we need offensive play makers pronto we need them now Goodson is a good start, pumping our O line is helpful we need a #1 WR and a good TE(Delanie Walker??) Can't do much at QB this year but if things fall in place look for a sunrise this season we could be sneaking slowly back into the contender tier and out of the media's bulls eye

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Lack of speed in the linebackers really cost the Jets last season. None of the new guys at LB looked like immediate stars and so Rex stuck with his old and slow vet corps because that's what he does when he's given the chance. He stays with his players. It's the GM's job to not let a coach fall into that trap. Enter Idzik and the options for Rex to hurt himself with loyalty are dwindling by the day.

Rex grew up idolizing players because he was at training camp every year as a kid. He's an excellent X's and O's guy and a good motivator but his achilles heel is that he can't let go of "his" guys. That's what you have a GM for.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We've never had a consistent passrush to compliment RRs coverage shells so if we can get that we'll be looking at a 2009-type defense without the need to overload blitz.

18. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Agreed. It's taking a leap of faith to assume improvement because the defense will be faster. You're also going to have more assignment errors and the depth will be compromised.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Good points.

20. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

Our offenese needs to help our deffense get off the field to recoup. We need more first downs, and hopefully drives that don't end in field goals, man nothing pisses me off more then a hard faught, steady drive that ends in a field goal, or worst yet, a turnover. I understand tipped balls, or the opponent playing lights out, but not throwing the ball TO the other team in a stupid decision.

Back to our defense, yes, younger, stronger, faster! I pray Rex keeps doing what he does on that side of the ball as far as coaching, preperation and scheming. Top 5 defense maybe? But our offense has to help too.