Funny Article (from SD)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, May 29, 2007.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

right. :lol:

and when did merriman become the best defensive player in the league? :eek:hmy:

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I do think Merriman is the best defensive player in the league but to trade our 3 best players for him would be ridiculuos and surely would never happen..

3. DaBallhawk

he's not. he might be in the top 5 but he is defenitely not the best. jason taylor is easily better than him. champ bailey is easily better than him. and so is adalius thomas, julius peppers. he could be the best defensive player in 3 or 4 years but right now he is not. he's not even the best pass rusher on his own team.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

factoring in age, if I am starting a team, he is the first defensive player taken. No question about it..

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We would give up 2 young studs, and Bryan Thomas - who seemed to find his way in Mangini's defense - for one outstanding young LB? Why would we do that?

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

wow thats, absurd. how do these guys get jobs?

7. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

What were his numbers after coming off the suspension?
    I do not think he played nearly as well as he did pre suspension.

Lets remember he was playing well because he was juicing.
    Lets see how good he is when he has to play without it.

and that is the most ridiculous trade ever. The Jets would laugh at this trade just as they did when Smith wanted a #1 for Michael Turner.

8. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

When you think about what is mentioned in that little blurp. I could never amagine a trade like that! impossible. no way would I kick out the future ,got that ,Future. Bryon thomas better be flying all over the place to earn that new contract he didnt deserve!!

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

As of 2007, the NFL is considering a new rule which will prevent NFL players who have been suspended from being eligible for the Pro Bowl. In an effort to ensure that the rule would not be referred to as the "Merriman Rule," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed that Shawne Merriman had been tested for steroids by the NFL 20 times, and had failed the test only once, as well as requesting that the rule affect all player suspensions, and not simply substance abuse suspensions.

now that means 1 of 2 things, either:

1)Merriman was telling the truth in his defense
    2)Merriman has some top of the line stuff thats nearly indetectable.

which one I'll leave up for debate. its just a shame someone who will be the future of the league to have a tainted past and will always be questioned. but he produces, so he'll always be publicized.

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

This has to be one of the most absurd trade possibilities I've heard all offseason. Only a little over 2 months til training camp, boys, and it couldn't come sooner.

11. fireguy404

fireguy404 New Member

I don't think you could even make this trade in Madden.

12. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

I don't care how bad some of the Jets beat writers are, this guy takes the "I'm an idiot and have no idea how the NFL works yet I get paid to write about it" award.

13. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

none of them, the league just doesn?t really give a shit about steroids. Suspending merriman just was to sacrifice a pawn. From time to time, they let a Player fail the test who?s not yet a superstar, but good enough, that the media will notice and good enough that the "inccident" isn?t going to affect his career. If someone then brings up the Topic, the Commisioner can say something like:"We take the Problem very serios and we?re doing everything we can to keep our Players clean, and we?re not afraid to suspend our Superstars." I don?t think thats the right way to deal with it, but thats the way the League is dealing with it. They know that the league is more atractive with all those pumped up freaks.

@topic, this is rediculous we don?t have the depth to replace one of the mentioned player. Even if the trade would be fair (which i don?t think it is) we would be completely screwed with Eric smith (i like him, but he isn?t ready to be a starter, yet) and JMac (i really hope Brad Smith comes up big in Camp, so i don?t have to see JMac on the field anymore) in our starting lineup.

14. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

What news source did that come from? I'm interested to know because I live in SD. Was it the Union Tribune?

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

LOL at the article.

There is literally no way in hell that Mangini trades 3 productive players, all of whom arguably have all-pro potential for a guy that got suspended last year.

I don't care if it was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, which Merriman might be, the facts are that Mangini is interested in having solid depth with contributors all around the field. Trading that depth for Merriman, even if he was a safe bet, would be counter-productive to assembling a championship caliber team.

16. JETS

JETS New Member

LOL who the hell wrote this article??? Trading Cotchery and Thomas would be about a $15 million cap hit, theres no way that would ever happen.

17. DaBallhawk

18. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

if i remember correctly, merriman did absolutely nothing against the pats in that playoff game last year. he did a disappearing act when they needed him most. the guy also got most of his sacks against some of the worst teams. OVER-RATED!!!!!!!!

19. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

i'd have to go with Julius Peppers

20. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

if AJ smith DIDNt make that trade hed be an idiot....it would give them a very good safety, a solid wr for rivers (who is also young and could form a great tandem) and thomas plays well enough in the 3-4.....thomas is def a downgrade, but overall that makes SD a MUCH better team. if our FO even considered it he should be fired....