From NFL.com re: DeAngelo Williams...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Williams improves his stock
    Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams (5-9, 207) had an exceptional workout. At his school's Pro Day on March 24, he ran his 40s in 4.40 seconds (with the wind) and 4.48 (against). He was wearing nubs, and he ran outdoors on a rubber track. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.10, the three-cone drill in 6.57 and the long shuttle in 10.61. In addition, he had a 34?-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-9 broad jump. He caught the ball well during positional drills.

This sounds good but he did run on a rubber track so we can''t take those as on-field times. Still, good numbers. He could probably use a few more pounds for durability though.

2. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

if we trade down i want him ... but if for some reason i hope he falls all the way to 29

#2 dBLitzer28, Mar 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I have heard his pass blocking is suspect...If he works on that he will be a real good football player.

4. camp80

camp80 New Member

I also think he needs to gain some weight to be an every down back. I also think that we cant get too excited by 40 times and such, its important but being able to find the hole and hit it and read a pro defense cant be forgotten. The running lanes close up much fgaster in the NFL and LBs could catch him.

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We're not taking a RB in the 1st round. It would be one of the worst decisions the FO could make.

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I would disagree with it too, unless it was Reggie Bush, then would you be OK with it?

You'd have to be....

7. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

The absolute best option for the jets, draft him!

8. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Why? Where do we go in the first round then? O-line can wait, WR to early, no QB needed. This team needs a complete back like DeAngelo. Curtis ain't getting any younger (he really showed his age last season, I'm sick of "hand off to curtis martin, dives forward for one yard") and Blaylock and Houston will never be more than backups. RB in round 1 is the way to go.

9. igotpneumonia89

igotpneumonia89 New Member

why? this is most likely martin's LAST year as a starting RB, blaylock will be gone and houston is a backup at best. We need a successor to curtis and we should adress this in our draft.

10. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

I think 4 may be high for him but i def like him... D'brick should be the pick at 4 and if for some reason hes gone then go Hawk(best lb in the draft, we need to stockpile for a 3-4) or Mario (just cuz hes Best player available), but our o-line is in shambles, we need to address it early and often... if something crazy happens and he or lendale drops i would love them at the 29, but it would be hard to pass on mangold... this is a great draft for us to have so many picks cuz its so deep, we have a shot to really build a good foundation for the future... i think curtis will be good for one more year but we're gonna need to address rb by next season

11. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Curtis,Blaylock and Houston will have no trouble running the ball if we can fix the online. We draft curtis replacemnt next year. A rookie rb can step right in so wait a year. We are going to the commitity route

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Martin will play for 2-3 more years. He was injured all of last season and our line was terrible. He may not have breakway speed, but he is an excellent blocker and receiver, can grind out tough yards, and wear down opposing defenses.

All Blaylock did was suceed whenever he filled in for Priest Holmes. He was injured last season so we didn't get to see what he can do. He's young enough and has the right package of skills to be a starting RB in this league.

All Houston did when finally given a chance was produce. Even thought the other team knew we were going to run 90% of the time he produced. We may have our future starter in this guy. Go google some college tape of him and get back to me.

Williams has done nothing in the NFL to prove he'll be any good. He's been a workhorse back for 4 years, and has worn alot of the tread off his tires in the process. He's aldo a little small to be an every down back in the NFL. Not that he won't be, just that the chips are stacked against him.

Running backs can come in as a rookie and start. They usually do not tend to have a long shelf life, so your team better be ready to win, now. We're not going to be true contenders in 2006, so why bother wasting a high pick on a RB this year? This is besides the fact that we have 3 legit RB's on the team already.

A 1st round RB is simply a bad idea IMHO.

13. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Good post. I agree 100%

14. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I argree too

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Wth they dont needa running back this year it can wait tell next year. even if he did fall to 29 i wouldnt take him.

16. croden14

croden14 New Member

has anyone seen how good he was in college? he was amazing, and he would be great for the jets. of course he has to put on some weight, but who doesnt? He is mos def ready to be an everydown back, but he is not a top 5 pick. If they trade down, they should get him, otherwise, hell go somewhere else

17. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Sometimes I wonder if people on this board realize that you still play 16 games even in seasons when you arent expected to win a super bowl. Personally, Id like to see the Jets make every effort to win as many of those games as they can. Not to mention that every year teams which are predicted to be towards the bottom of the pack make it into the playoffs. I dont think that would be the case if their management was sitting around saying, well, were not going to the superbowl, so why bother?

Deangelo Williams is a very solid halfback prospect. He seems to have lost a lot of steam in the last month or so, but Id love to see him in Jet green. The media seems to expect him to slide to the middle of the round. If I were in charge, the second Williams slid into the twenties Id be looking for a way to trade up from #29 and grab him. If he or Laurence Maroney is available at 29, thatd be a dream come true. Maurice Drew is another good prospect, more of a high second round type, which is nice because we have a pick high in the second round.

As to the halfbacks on our roster, I think martin can get it done this year and maybe next year, but his situation screams of the need for a young back with starting potential behind him, and neither Blaylock nor Houston fits the bill. Both are useful players to have around, backups who can contribute, but neither is deserving of 25 carries a game.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The O-line is the root of our problems. Think about it. 3 injured starting QB's, 2 injured starting RB's. Curtis' production went from 4.6 ypc in 2004 to 3.3 ypc in 2005. O-line cannot wait and needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Agreed - we also don't have a dire need for a WR.

Can Chad Pennington stay healthy? No one knows for sure but we can say "not yet". Big question mark on him. Is Patrick Ramsey the answer? He hasn't won in the pros yet. I'm not sold. Bollinger is a second string QB at best. QB's generally take at LEAST a year to groom. If we have an opportunity to pick up a potential future franchise QB in the first round I think we should.

I'm beginning to believe that you either are DeAngelo or you're related to him. It seems like every post on this forum, regardless of the topic, you figure out a way to tell everyone we need to get DeAngelo (i know - this post IS about DeAngelo). Without an offensive line DeAngelo isn't going to do squat. Curtis Martin still has gas in the tank and is a sure fire future hall of famer - he can get the job done behind a solid O-line. Cedric Houston played well last season when everyone knew damn well we were running the ball and the o-line sucked. He had 3.7 ypc - not great, but considering the circumstances, not bad either. I thought he looked like a damn good back, and could potentially be our starter some day. If not, we can look to pickup a superstar back through free agency or the draft next year.

Without fixing the real problem of the offensive line, no running back will succeed - unless Barry Sanders is coming out of retirement.

#18 WhiteShoeWillis, Mar 28, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  19. Trend

Trend Member

As far as I know, none of the players eligible for the draft has done anything in the NFL (so they're all bums):wink:

20. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I really would like to pick up Deangelo but I am not sure at what cost, if we are taking him in the first round then we need to trade out of the four because he is not falling to 29, I would be surprised if he passed 15. I think regardless of the situation of what happens at four whether it is DE OL tade down, two of our first three picks should be dedicated to the OL.