Forget about these propped up QB's....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Sep 3, 2017.

1. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I believe Bryce Petty is our QB of the future and will start sometime this year and take a hold of the job for many years to come.

Kid was a big project with a big arm out of college and has had to learn how to run a pro offense and how to read NFL defenses. He's improving the mental part of the game, while becoming a leader of men. He also does well with the media, which is quite difficult to do in our market.

He's got balls and isn't afraid to air it out. To me, he's got the gunslinger mentality that I want to have here. And he's got the arm talent to make it happen here. I think he's shown to be a great teammate and there is no diva in him. Guy has worked hard and has deserved the opportunity that I believe all of us think he'll get this year through injury or a bad record after our very difficult starting schedule this year.

We'll have $$$$$ and draft picks to spend on a top-notch OL next year to help our "QB of the future", and I hope it's Bryce Petty. Now, if I'm wrong, and we do draft a QB #1, hell no to a USC quarterback and yes to Rosen.

But again, I roll with Bryce Petty and if we have the #1 pick, I trade down for player(s) and extra picks.

LAJet, nicg4360, JetsFan and 5 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Watch. We'll get the number one pick next year and take Derwin James, the Charles Woodson-esque free safety from Florida State after signing Drew Brees to a two year deal.

We really don't have enough versatility for our three safety look anyways.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I don't know whats worst hearing from other fans. The joke about needing a 3rd safety next year in the draft or the reminder that our old FB Tony Richardson couldn't spell JETS correctly(JET...E...S)

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Definitely Tony Richardson, because the third safety thing isn't as much of a joke as we all hope it is. Well obviously take a quarterback I think.

But watch Petty play say 12 games and throw 17 touchdowns to say 11 picks and we stick with him at the spot so we can keep building our fricken super defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Bryce is our FQB, but he hasn't proved he isn't, so I'm all for the scenario you paint. And I agree (so far) about Rosen - I like his "anti" attitude, reminds me of Namath. He'll either take NY in stride, or be run out of town, but I like his chances.

LAJet likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

I really, REALLY want them to take a QB with the 1st pick, but if Petty shows that much improvement, I wouldn't cry if they took Barkley and improved the OL and waited to see it Petty can be the guy, and they look for the FQB in '19. They're not going to the SB in 2018 anyway, and maybe 2018 isn't "The Year of the QB" like everyone predicted a few months ago.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I love Barkley. He has a lot of miles on him already though so that worries me. I've changed my tune a lot on the idea of taking a game changing runningback over the past couple years as I used to be against it. But as long as they are versatile and can catch the ball it does a lot for a young quarterback.

With that being said I can't imagine us tanking this entire season to take anything but a quarterback next offseason. Unless Petty lights the league on fire (which I really can't see happening given the shitty offensive cast around him), we're taking a quarterback.

The more we delay it the further away from a Super Bowl we are.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He's got some positive attributes. Great attitude and very enthusiastic. Natural leader who believes in his abilities. Size (6'3 230) is exactly what you want. Above average arm. Has mobility.

He didn't have to read much of defenses in college though, so he's been learning that at the pro level. Thus far we know he can dominate 2's and 3's. We don't know much else. Last year he was thrown into an impossible situation where he was destroyed at the helm of a team that quit.

I like him. I hope he becomes a successful above average pro QB. I think he should get his chance around mid season. But again...he will be behind a shit line with below average weapons (we got slightly better with Tye/Kearse)

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I love Petty's progression so far. Hope we get to see more of him this year. Also hope Hackenberg gets his second straight red shirt year.

Burnz, blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Petty can throw 17 TDs to 11 picks in 12 games with this OL and roster, then imo he deserves to be our FQB. Hopefully, then, the Jets would use their draft picks and FA to fix the OL, add a #1 WR, a speedy starting-caliber RB that can run and catch, and then another QB in a mid round.

11. NCJetsfan

If Petty is that good, then taking Barkley would be a mistake imo, unless we were able to seriously upgrade the OL in FA. Even then, I doubt we'd have added a topnotch LT. Yes, we definitely need a speedy starting-caliber RB who can both run and catch, but first and foremost, we need a new LT and our OL upgraded.

There's an article in the draft thread that points out 5 top OL prospects for the 2018 draft. If they continue to develop as projected, then I would love to see the Jets add two of them. From that list, there are two LTs at this point who may be high 1st round picks, McGlinchey of ND and Williams of Texas. I would take one of them. I would then either take Michigan's C Mason Cole in the 2nd round and a RB in the 3rd round, or in a deviation from my norm, trade back up into the 1st round (using a future pick or picks) to take ND's Quenton Nelson (OG). If we could add two of those players to the OL, especially since they've played together for a few years, it would make it immediately better and do more to help and protect Petty than Barkley could with a mediocre OL. If I traded up for Nelson, I'd get a RB as soon as I could in the 3rd or 4th round.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i was on the petty wagon after he was drafted, fell off a few times last year, but am willing to jump back on at a moments notice.

however, the sexy thing for this team would be to go 2-14 and get pick #1 so the media can bubble over and woody sells a few more tickets leading up to the draft.

if petty does indeed emerge it will save this team cause how can we have confidence in them selecting the right guy given the top pick??

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

If Petty shows that he can be above average, if not the FQB, then he needs weapons, and Barkley would be the top of that list (at this point) for me. They can then go for OL with the 2nd and 3rd picks and at that point have a vastly upgraded offense. I wouldn't get "too cute" by going for OL with the first two picks and then count on getting a game-breaking RB in the 3rd round. Of course a lot can, and will, change before the draft and I fully reserve my right to change my mind.:)

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Petty putting up those numbers would mean that we can sit our #1-3 overall quarterback selection for a year with confidence. Let us have a Drew Brees/Philip Rivers situation by all means. I just can't see us passing up Darnold in particular. We'll see how Josh Allen & Rosen play this year. I just see Darnold as a Andrew Luck-type of prospect. We'll see how he fairs this year.

I'd rather have a couple of good quarterbacks then pass on one and then Petty regresses anyways.

To summarize; I don't see any situation where we don't take a quarterback in the first round this year.

15. ColoradoContrails

I agree...if they have a top 3 pick they HAVE to take a QB.

But if Petty puts up those numbers they might be in the sub-top 5 range and maybe out of range of a "can't miss" QB. At that point, maybe they look to add a dynamic "O" weapon like Barkley, and look at 2019 for another QB.

I prefer your scenario though.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes, he will need weapons, but weapons will do no good if he has no time to throw or winds up getting injured because the Jets didn't fix the OL. Barkley would be relatively ineffective as well if he has no holes to run through and if there is a defender or two waiting for him in the backfield as soon as he gets the handoff.

While topnotch LTs can be found in the 2nd round or lower, often times those guys need a year or more to develop. The Jets need an LT that can come in immediately, start and play at a high level. Those types are usually found at the top of the 1st round. I'd rather go with a topflight LT in the 1st round and a RB in the 2nd round, than a RB in the 1st round and LT in the 2nd round.

Yes, a lot can and probably will happen over the next year. It remains to be seen if Petty will even get a chance to play, and if he does, how well he will play. It remains to be seen how the collegiate QBs will do and who will enter the draft. It remains to be seen how the top LT and other top OL prospects will fare in college this year, who will get injured or not play well, and who our HC and GM are.

It would take a lot either from Petty or for all the supposed top 3-4 QBs to crash and burn in college this year or stay in school for the Jets to not draft a QB #1 next year, but it could happen.

17. NCJetsfan

True, and it would probably be better to go ahead and take the top QB prospect, but it won't much matter who is at QB and/or RB if the Jets don't fix the OL

18. NCJetsfan

IMO taking OL 1-2 in the draft wouldn't be "getting cute" it would be trying to protect whomever plays QB and open holes for whomever the RB is. The Jets don't have to have a "game-breaking" RB to help the QB or take pressure off of him. Having a very good OL and a very good RB or even just good RB can still provide the balance and production we want and need.

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He's the BPA..... Lol

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Petty is yet, but one thing that worries me about him is that he's gotten hurt quite a bit in the past year. Durability is next to godliness.

But, I would really like to see him start and was very disappointed that Bowles didn't name him the opening day starter. I do believe he has real potential.