For those who dislike this draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeLooxJet, Apr 29, 2006.

1. DeLooxJet

DeLooxJet New Member

Then you know nothing about building a winning football team. What has happened here on day 1 is nothing short of brilliant. We just picked up 2 Pro-Bowl caliber O-Lineman and a QB who was on pace to be a heisman candidate before he got hurt. This was an A+++ draft all around thus far. I know the 100 or so 13 year olds who visit this board think we should have traded the entire franchise and the money for the new stadium for the rights to Reggie Bush but we got 3 players with very high potentials today and we are building a nice foundation.

2. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I totally agree with you, this draft has been amazing for us so far.

3. Jetdog

Jetdog New Member

i agree.. great so far!

4. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

ditto for me too. love the OL help.

we have to play catchup due to Bradway's penchant for ignoring the OL.

5. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I agree, with an upgraded O-Line, maybe our QBs will survive the season and Martin will have more holes to run through

6. Buttle

Buttle New Member

I would love to add Giles to this Haul of offensive lineman with our 71st pick. With Ferguson, Giles and mangold what a great building block we would have for the next 10 years.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I agree with yuo 100%. I couldn't imagine how good the line could be with a solid G. Whom BTW I had rated the best G in the draft....

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Giles doesn't fit with the rest of the OL, which is quick and athletic. He is big and slow and a mauler. I don't see it.

9. cass2005

cass2005 New Member

I agree this has been a great draft. Two immediate starters and a potential qb for the future. I would like to see the running back from wisconsin assuming he hasn't been drafted yet. I just got back from Long Island so i'm not sure.

10. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I agree great draft and two thumbs up to our new and very improved FO!!

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

The only thing i dont like about this draft is Clemons id much rather Croyle.But whatever draft Giles or Stovall it would be fine with me.

12. Buttle

Buttle New Member

I agree with you in the sense that they seem to be looking for the lighter zone blocking type OL players that we have used in the past. Although I have not read anything about the new CS philosphy about OL it is likely that Giles does not fit the mold. But regardless I still like Giles.

#12 Buttle, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  13. MN_Jet_Fan

MN_Jet_Fan New Member

So I don't know football if i disagree with you?

I concede the OL is important, but similar arguments can be made for nearly every other position. I still believe the draft is not just about getting the right players, but also getting them at the best value.

I honestly think we could have gotten solid OL help later, and still used # 4 and/or 29 to get skill players. Last time I checked, they were important too.

14. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

Great post - I agree that great teams are built in the trenches and we did alot to help the offensive trench in the first round.

However I can understand the negative feedback many posters have. The problem is that when your football team drafts in the top 5 of any draft - you have a BAD football team. You have a team that is not 1 or 2 pieces away from being a legit SB contender.

So, seeing as the first 2 picks were spent fixing ONE area of the team there will be folks who are dissapointed that ANOTHER area was not fixed, especially since the position that was fixed is the LEAST glamarous position in football.

What folks have to realize is that with a great line, ordinary players will be made to look GREAT. With our revamped line our QBs will stay on their feet longer (look to improve from 30th in the NFL in sacks allowed) and have more time to find WRs - and our RBs may actually have holes through which to run this year!!

A++ in round 1

15. akibud

akibud Active Member

it would seem that after we get the best available LT and the best available C. we actually don't have to have great skill players. Average skill players will look better by some mystical acts.

16. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

Curtis Martin last time I checked was still a top RB. Last time I checked our WR corp was pretty good. Last time I checked we had a decent QB in Ramsey if Penny can't play.

What made all of the above substandard and injured? A banged up old O line.

We got 2 guys top of their positions who are ready to play. And are going to protect and help our skill positioners.

I have not been this happy with a draft since we got Ellis and Abe in '00.

Add a smart QB who can not only set for a year but build a rapport with these two new linemen, and we're building a recipe for a solid future.

17. DeLooxJet

DeLooxJet New Member

If you know football then you would know that all 50 Super Bowl champions have only 1 thing in common...great offensive lines. The Jets got tremendous value at every pick they had thus far today, especially when you consider they essentially lost 0 picks this year and gained a 2nd rounder next year with all their maneuvers. In the end it's all about this draft being sexy or smart. Sexy sells tickets but smart wins championships.

18. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Can you please tell me how many pro-bowls D'brick and Mangold have made?

oh that's right, it's zero.

Just because they do not play skill positions doesn't mean they cannot be busts. For D'brick to justify that 4th overall selection he will need to making annual appearances in the probowl which is a tough challenge for any player.

If years from now we look back on this draft as the time when we drafted our two pro bowl anchors of the offensive line then you are correct, it was a great draft. Don't chissel either Mangold or Ferguson's faces into Canton just yet.

#18 Lunatic, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Well said. I agree this is a great draft were having. Kellen Clemens could be a real great QB behind our Oline when hes ready to start if Chad or Ramsey dont work out.

20. DeLooxJet

DeLooxJet New Member

caliber = potential. There's nothing wrong with drafting potential.