Fitzpatrick, a Bills fan's perspective

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mynmisoli, Aug 22, 2015.

1. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

Having lived through 4 years with Fitzpatrick as our QB, I can honestly say that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a BAD quarterback. how he's lasted in the league this long is mind boggling. The only thing consistent about his game is that he's inconsistent. He will make some plays that will win you 1 game and then make a bunch more bad plays that will lose you 2 games. If you wanna point out his statistics such as completion percentage, passing yards, TDs, etc as a reason to be hopeful with Fitz at the helm you're only fooling yourself. What those statistics don't show is how many of those yards and touchdowns came late in the game during garbage time and the defense was in a passive prevent because the game was already a blow out. This is what i called "Fitz Time' because this is when he padded his stats after sucking for 3 and a half quarters. The only passes he's comfortable throwing are screens, drop offs and quick slants. He's terrible at intermediate throws and out patterns. He's actually OK with the deep bomb but only if its within 30 yards. Anything further than 30 yards the ball begins to wobble and usually gets picked. You will notice that his "progression" in the pocket is him being scared to throw the intermediate route because it requires accuracy and arm strength which he doesn't have, so he will immediately just check down to the running back for little gain. If he throws an interception, he has a tendency to become gun shy and you can usually say good bye to any deep passes the rest of the game. His Red Zone awareness is so frustrating because he takes bad sacks and throws interceptions in the Endzone. Don't be surprised if you have one of the worst Red Zone offenses in the league this year. "Ryan Fitzpatrick is a smart quarterback. He went to Harvard!" You'll probably hear that a lot this year. Please don't fool yourselves into thinking that means anything significant because he may be book smart but his awareness and ability to adjust throughout the course of a game is terrible. The ONLY chance you have this year of having a competent offense is your run game and Brandon Marshall turning short quick passes into big gains. Enjoy your new quarterback.

VegasMav and JETS1116 like this.
  2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Only delusional people are overrating Fitz. We know what Fitz is, but he's our best option for now.

VegasMav, NYJ79, jerseyjay14 and 6 others like this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Last evening's game told just about all I needed to know about Fitz: we have a long season ahead of us if he becomes our starter.
    I think the OP is pretty much spot on with what to expect from Fitz. Against the Falcons 1st team D he performed like a 'Lifetime'
    back-up QB.

He can jitter-bug pretty well in the pocket, for sure.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He's better than Flynn and Petty isn't ready..

He's a back up at best but after Geno got his jaw shattered we don't really have a choice.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Still would take him over Geno and Sanchez any day of the week.

NYJ79, jerseyjay14, NYJetsO12 and 6 others like this.
  6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I can't stand fitz... but i'm hoping he does good until GENO returns (yea i said it). Only thing i can say in Fitz's favor is that this is the best roster he's ever QB'd for on both sides IMO so we'll see what happens. Just don't turn the damn ball over.. nothings changed, we can win with an average joe QB.. just not a turnover prone one.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We all know Fitz can't make all of the throws, he will need to continue to manage the game and not turn the ball over. I hope the Jets can be 2-2 before the BYE and if Fitz isn't playing well, it's hello Geno Smith.

JETS1116 likes this.
  8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Thanks. Basically everything you said reminds me of people saying...Grass is green, dogs bark, the earth is round and the Bills have yet to win a super bowl. If I wear you I'd focus my football wisdom on determining how that Bills offense is going to score more than 12 points a game. I would note that I'd take Fitz and his limitations over Cassell, Taylor, or Manual.

Have a great day you asshat

FlaJet, tomdeb, JETS1116 and 8 others like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

DAMN!!!! If only Maccagnan knew this 2 months ago.

JETS1116, NYJetsO12, 74 and 6 others like this.
  10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

This post is necessary because Jet fans don't know about bad QBs.

We're used to horrible ones

Bad sounds refreshing

11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

My thoughts on Fitz: commands the offense decently well, pretty accurate on his short throws and has decent pocket awareness. The bad: he reminded me of the Pennington after the two surgeries. His throwing power is awful. On one play I swear he winded up like a pitcher to get a 12-15 yard pass out. You can tell you he likes the dump off option a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Obvious agenda against Fitz, thanks for nothing, we already know what he Is and your exaggerating how mediocre he is, enjoy Rex the Retard!

13. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear your take on Cassell, Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel in that case.

Nobody thinks Fitz is a stud. He was our #2 QB. We all know what he is. But we also know he fits Chan's offense perfectly well and he can execute it at a high level if you limit the type of throws he can't make, if you play good defense and if you have a good running game. That's all we need. Nobody is asking Fitz to throw for 450 yards per game and put he team on his back, all he needs to do is not turn the ball over, connect passes and convert 3rd downs so we can continue to run the ball, and help keep our defense off the field as long as possible to keep them fresh. He can do that. Worry about your own QB's.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

"Don't be surprised if you have one of the worst red zone offenses in the league this year"

As opposed to our sparkling 32nd ranking last year. "One of the worst" sounds like an improvement to me!

jerseyjay14 and 74 like this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Fair assesment.....but with that said "Winter is Coming" and I hope your stocked up on shovels and snow blowers for life in the shithole known as Buffalo

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Year of the Bills Troll is upon us. Just wait until they see Rex in all his glory.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

If the Jets are banking on that from last night, then we're in for a very long season with Fitzpatrick. He just doesn't have the arm to vertically challenge defenses. He's a journeymen QB for a reason. Going 5 yard dink and donk will not take you far. Biased aside, Geno will start once he's healthy.

shabbtastic likes this.
  18. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Anyone who thought Fitz would take us far even before watching last night is an idiot

19. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

Actually I'm not exaggerating. I wasn't being a smart ass or was trying to insult you guys....although I did have a good laugh when I heard the you guys signed Chan Gailey and Fitzpatrick.

20. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

Matt Cassel is GARBAGE. He's just a Fitz 2.0 with a little more accuracy. EJ has a great arm and deserves more opportunities to show it off. He's inconsistent and his accuracy has been below par but he has decent pocket awareness and escapability. Still very raw and unproven though. Tyrod Taylor is a good athlete and very elusive but his accuracy on deep routes and decision making in the Red Zone leaves a lot to be desired. I would play out the season with EJ and make a decision at the end of the year to keep him or let him go. Cassel should stay on the bench. Tyrod Taylor should be our back up.