Fisher Price My First Mock (Vol 5)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Apr 27, 2016.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It's that time again.

*Trade: Paxton Lynch falls to 20. Jets trade the 20th pick overall to Denver for their 1st round pick, 31st overall, and the first of their 2 3rd and 5th round picks, 94th and 144th overall respectively.

Round: 1st
    Pick Overall: 31*
    Name: Ryan Kelly
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 311 lb.
    40 Time: 4.96
    Position: Center
    School: Alabama
    Comments: If I could I would trade down again as there's no one I feel great drafting here but sticking with the BPA theme that Mac promotes, I'm taking Kelly here. Kelly is the best center in the country. He can play RG until Nick is ready to pass the torch.

Thought of taking Hackenberg here but that would go against the BPA philosophy. If the Jets were interested in taking one of the second tier QBs this would be a perfect spot so to secure that 5th year option.

Round: 2nd
    Pick Overall: 51
    Name: Shilique Calhoun
    Weight: 251 lb.
    40 Time: 4.81
    Position: DE/OLB
    School: Michigan State
    Comments: One of my favorites in this draft and IMO one of the safest picks in the top 100. Great college production which improved every year. Whenever you watch the Michigan St defense play, you can't help but to see number 89 making plays in the backfield.

Round:
    3rd
    Pick Overall: 83
    Name: KeiVarae Russell
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 192 lb.
    40 Time: 4.49
    Position: CB
    School: Notre Dame
    Comments: Started 26 games at Notre Dame despite missing all of 2014 because of an academic suspension and suffering a broken leg at the end of the 2015 season. Russell is a willing tackler, recognizes routes well and posseses good recovery quickness/speed. The ESPN Sports Science crew named him the top value pick in the draft.

Round: 3rd
    Pick Overall: 94*
    Name: Jaylon Smith
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 240 lb.
    40 Time: N/A
    Position: OLB/ILB
    School: Notre Dame
    Comments: Since this is a bonus pick, I'm taking a flyer on a player who could have been the best player in the draft if healthy.

Round: 4th
    Pick Overall: 118
    Name: Alex Lewis
    Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 312 lbs
    40 Time: 4.43
    Position: OT
    School: Nebraska
    Comments: One of Todd McShay's "biggest risers", Lewis has starting ability especially at RT. He would probably be rated higher if not for an off the field issue early in his college career.

Round: 5th
    Pick Overall: 144*
    Name: Avery Young
    Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 328 lb.
    40 Time: 5.36
    Position: OT/OG
    School: Auburn
    Comments: Versatile lineman that can play both inside and out. Better suited at guard at the moment since his run blocking is ahead of his pass protection at this stage of his development.

Round: 7th
    Pick Overall: 235
    Name: Jeff Driskel
    Weight: 234 lbs
    40 Time: 4.46
    Position: QB
    School: Louisiana Tech
    Comments: I've written before about the extremely low success rate of QBs drafted or not drafted outside of the 1st round is extremely low. The very few that have made it have done so on the basis of their intangibles and not their physical ability. Driskel has the benefit of having both intangibles and great physical ability. He is also a great fit schematically. If are able to erase from your memory his time at Florida and just watch his LA Tech tape, Driskel is definitely intriguing.

Round:
    7th
    Pick Overall: 241
    Name: MarQuez North
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 222 lbs
    40 Time: 4.43
    Position: WR
    School: Tennessee
    Comments: With his size, speed (4.43) and athleticism, North has the potential to be a better pro than collegiate player provided he can stay healthy. He possesses strong hands, great body control and a love of blocking. He'll fit right in with our WR group.

#1 legler82, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Sign me up right now.

_

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, I puked. If Lynch is there and the Jets don't take him they deserve to spend the next 20 years like they have spent the last 50. (ok, 47)

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well your draft would certainly solve the OL and LB problems. However I have a hard time believing Mac will trade down with Lynch staring him in the face. If he did I would think he would trade back up in round 2 to secure Hackenberg. Jaylon Smith is a complete boom or bust pick - ridiculous if he does not completely regain his old form and genius if he recovers fully. I have heard there was nerve damage - not sure if true. I also don't think the Jets are in a position right now to take a chance with him. They need players - starters and they have to replace this aging core quickly. In regards to Lynch - although another boom or bust - one of these years the Jets are going to have to pull the trigger on a potential franchise QB.

However I think most Jets fans would be happy with your draft....

5. legler82

Lynch is another Spread QB project; we already have 2 of those on the roster. His mental aptitude also scares that crap out of me. I would do Hackenberg, even [cough] Cook with the 31st pick; Brissett and Driskel late on Day 2 and 3 respectively are better options IMO than Lynch at 20.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

what do you mean his mental aptitude? are you calling him stupid?

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Love this draft. I wonder if Jaylon Smith will be there at the end of the 3rd? I think someone will take him earlier in the 3rd but that is the key round to select him.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This would be nice, especially Silique Calhoun, I would love him to be a jet.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't take Kelly round 1, but I would totally understand the pick. No complaints from me here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. legler82

Probably not stupid but he's definitely not the smartest of the QB prospects.