First Jets Game This Sunday

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by donkey, Oct 15, 2009.

1. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be my first Jets game on Sunday. I can't believe the game has come around so quickly (I can't believe we lost to Miami, either). I have a few questions (sorry!).

I've checked how to get to the Meadowlands and it seems the best way is to get the train from Penn Station to Secaucus, is this true?

Also, can someone tell me when it will be best to get there? For me as early as possible, but if nothing's happening I'll feel a bit daft stood around on my own.

What's the rule on drinking in the ground, I enjoy a beer, and is it OK to bring a camera in to take phots? I'm guessing beer is ok so long as you're not smashed and camera ok for personal use.

Finally, what can I expect on Fan's Appreciation Day?

Sorry for all the questions and many thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Cheers

Donkey

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

In terms of when to get there, it depends... You say you're going by yourself, so I guess there won't be much tailigating.... But, I would get there at least an hour early and get into the stadium and watch the players warm up and do their pregame routines. That's always pretty fun - especially if its your first game - because you can go down to the lowest level and get very close to the field.

I think I was there on Fan Appreciation day last year or the year before, and I don't recall anything really out of the ordinary.

Oh, and wear green (and a poncho). They're trying to set up a green-out

That's all I can answer with relative certainty, and I have a question of my own for anyone else who reads the thread:

What time and where do you have to go to see the players come into the stadium? I did it about seven years ago, but I'll be with a younger fan so I figured that'd be nice. Any input on this too?

3. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Cheers JetFan. I will be meeting a Bills fan (he supports the same English soccer team as me, been freinds for years), but not sure when he'll get there though. Like the idea of getting there early to see the players, thanks for that.

Hopefully I will be able to get a poncho (green) at the ground as the weather forecast appears to be wet. Jets cap to keep my head dry...tis green!

4. GreatSwamp

GreatSwamp Member

i wouldnt get there earlier than 11am. and once your in the parking lot you could try and find a tailgate with food and beer and probobly give them money to tailgate with them. but i know i wouldnt be open to letting a bills fan, especillly whom i dont know into my tailgate. good luck have fun.

5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

That's a fair shout and totally understandable. We won't be over until about 1-30pm anyway (slowly getting organised). I will be sat next to my mate the following week at the London game, so we'd better win.:jets:

6. wupearls

wupearls Banned

Hi53

you’re very professional.gemstone jewelryturquoisejewelry,diamond jewelry,jewelry storeswholesale supplyfine discountfinefurniture

7. GreenMachine

You fail at spam.

8. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Boo, my thread got spammed!

In NY now, looking outside with trepidation. Stupid rain. Stayed up for 22 hours yesterday, slept well. Off to a tour of Grand Central before meeting up with friend at Penn and off to Meadowlands. If you see a guy in a red, Czech Republic waterproof jacket, it's me...be great to meet some of you.

Let's go Jets.

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Have a good one mate. I hope to go to my first game next year as long as I get good enough marks to do an exchange.

10. cflava5

cflava5 New Member

im trying to go to my first jets game today. don't have tickets yet but looking to get the cheapest possible being that i'm super broke. good luck today

11. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Back in England, tired, with a stupid cold (it will be killed by beer), but overall I had another great time in New York.

My first ever trip to the Meadowlands had me hyped (clearly moreso than the offense), so much so that I lost it completely when the Bills missed the FG at the end. My first ever Jets game would not end in defeat...oh hang on this is the Jets. But more of that later. First met my Bufallo supporting mate and grabbed a beer and burger in a bar in Penn St whilst the Giants were losing to the Saints (lovely beer, Oktoberfest), missed three trains...then noticed the next ones were not for a while, so back to the bar.

Got the train, packed, but it kinda shows why I prefer city centre stadiums, shorter transfer between beer and sport...but I could see the Meadowlands (both stadia). I felt the extiement build, and then ebb slightly as I saw in big letters the name Giants Stadium (I won't have that next time I come)...but hey nothing was gonna get in the way of my nervous energy which returned quickly.

Walking up to the stadium (looking tired and somewhat unloved, hardly surprising given the new one next door), was told I couldn't take my bag in, emptied it and left it with some others to pick up at the end. Straight in, to my seat, excited like a small child on Christmas morning.

Then the game (it's been covered elsewhere, but I was involved in live J-E-T-S Jets, Jets Jets chats (I know that may not mean much to some, but to me it was massive)). I saw a great TD by Jones, records by him and Feely set too. I saw a lady not want to serve me beer as my ID wasn't considered good enough (UK/EU drivering licence), but did eventually (I can't work out which was the bigger insult, refusal to accept the ID or the price of the beer!). Apparently Bufallo friend has had the same problem, and also with his RAF ID which seems a little harsh. I saw the Meadowlands in its old and somewhat unloved state, but I was so happy to be there.

After game my bag was no longer there, I missed out on the coffee mug, and my team had turned in an awful performance. And was I upset, yes I bloody was. After a few minutes I shook Bufallo friends hand, and eventually began to have a conversation with him...but it was clipped, hopefully next time I see him we can celebrate a Swindon Town victory together. By the time I got back to my wife in Chinatown I was trying to exaplin what the problems were, why we lost, and why I'm coming back. I also grabbed a burger and fries.

Knowing what I know now, would I do it all again, abso-bloody-lutely, and I will do at the new stadium next season or the one after.

Two days later got ribbed by a security guard at Battery, as we were going out to the Statue of Lberty and Ellis Island, whilst wearing a Jets top...at times I felt I was the only Jets fan in Manhatten...it may have been that I was the only one prepared to admit after Sunday.

So finally, I'm home, tired, sad it's all over, but with some great memories, just a shame the Jets let me down, but hey I'm used to it...aren't we all?

Non Jets stuff - did three tours, of Grand Central, Brooklyn and a Rock and Punk tour of the East Village and Alphabet City (to this Dolls and Ramones fan it was great!). Found some cracking beers, aforementioned Oktoberfest, but also Yuengling Black and Tan, and one of the tastiest beers I've ever had Smuttynose Old Brown Dog.

12. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hi Babyknight, can't respond by pm as I need 50 messages (only 41, 42 now!). But thanks for the message.:up:

13. PSUNYJ

PSUNYJ New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the good advice on parking

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

awesome you had a good time, too bad the jets couldnt pull a W for ya.