Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by bicketybam, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It would be nice at this point to have a federal law requiring reporting of all shootings that resulted in at least one fatality.

Currently in many states it is up to the local authorities whether or not to report a shooting death.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

unions are basically commies, so it kinda makes sense

4. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Unions built this country, so using your analogy we’re all commies

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

. Chicago would need a full on call center to handle the reporting . Maybe add a 2nd center for holiday weekends.

6. Br4d

Chicago already fully reports gun homicides. Illinois is one of the states that requires reporting.

The reason for a reporting requirement is that it would go a long way towards giving us the statistics we need to begin to take appropriate gun safety measures.

This is similar to when mandatory DMV reporting of automobile crash fatalities was instituted in the 1960's. Within a decade we had a mandatory seatbelt law that has saved a large number of lives over the last several generations. We had mandatory safety standards for the automobile manufacturers, including roll bars in all new vehicles and eventually airbags for drivers. We had mandatory car seats for children and all other occupants under a certain height and weight. We had mandatory car seats for infants and toddlers.

So making reporting mandatory for gun homicides would likely lead to a wave of new regulations designed to make guns safer. Things like effective background checks, curbing of immediate over the counter sales, regulations preventing the sale of guns that were inherently unsafe on the street due to high rate of fire or large caliber ammunition or other ammunition designed to defeat a peace officer's vest and other protective equipment, etc.

This is long overdue. It has been prevented so far by a commercial interest's concerted campaign to keep all sales legal and all options open. It's time to make safe gun ownership a priority. If we don't do this the day when guns are no longer legal to own as private citizen is rapidly approaching and will likely be here within a generation.

#66 Br4d, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm gonna say something really honest here. There have been times where I've been so angry that looking back on certain instances, on some small level, I could almost understand how somebody could completely lose it and go on a rampage. In theory, I mean. The difference is the planning part. What the frig.

I have a good friend who is a wonderful and very loving and caring person, but he can be a live wire. He knows it. He expressly refuses to own a gun because of it. In a very recent conversation he said point blank (no pun intended) that guns make him uncomfortable and he can't help but associate them with violence.
    So I said, "Are you afraid of yourself?" "I don't think so. I just prefer to stay away from something that could possibly get me in trouble if I got mad enough." If some people took the same stock of themselves (also no pun intended) I'm betting there would be a lot less shootings on impulse that result in unnecessary tragedy. You can't unspill the milk.

BrowningNagle and papapump like this.
  8. papapump

I have a close friend who moved from Florida to Tennessee because of the amount of idiots that he had to deal with. He won’t take any crap, I’m glad that he realizes that staying away is a better solution.

9. jetophile

Weapons - any weapon - can be an extension of your temper. That includes your fists. Unreasonable people with bad tempers probably shouldn't increase their chances of creating a disaster by playing with guns. It takes some self-knowledge and accepting your limitations IMO. It's a slippery slope in many regards.

Anyway, the old man hasn't been to the target range for well over a year now. He's just one of those people who's a natural crack-shot (great aim). It's impressive. The main reason it kind of fell to the wayside was COVID.

He did offer to teach me gun safety and learn how to shoot in the past, but I just don't have much interest in it, but I understand why people do, though.

I sleep well at night because the most recent rescue dog that we adopted in Dec. 2017 is crazy protective. I'm talking crazy, crazy protective. He was seized from a drug house at 6 mos. old. I call him Murder Dog. It can be a little stressful and I practice extreme vigilance for his protection and my own, but if there was ever a home invasion, that unlucky asshole picked the wrong house and is not getting out alive, even if they shoot him.

papapump likes this.
  10. papapump

Our GSD is the same way, very protective. One gun in our house, a shotgun. Almost impossible to miss, but I hope we never have to use it.

11. Br4d

People are more likely to shoot themselves than others. We have about 23k gun suicides every year alongside about 20k reported gun homicides. Both numbers are under-reported because of the lack of a requirement to report in many states however the numbers that do get written up suggest that people are more likely to kill themselves than others.

Preliminary numbers for 2020 say we had about 24k gun suicides and 19k gun homicides reported so the pandemic didn't up the reported numbers so much as shift them around a bit.

We had 611 mass shootings reported last year - defined as cases where two or more people were killed by guns in a single incident.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

your friend is very smart. The problem is that there are many people like him without 2 brain cells in their heads. They are incapable of the self-reflection your friend went through, guns are fun so they get them

13. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

15. jetophile

The old man had something very sage to say when I said, "I don't know what it is about this country that was a breeding ground for religious freaks." He said, "And guns? The point is, how would you like it if the government told you what to believe?" I said something just as sage back: "I get it, but that they've been telling us what to believe for years." Shrugs, hugs, handshakes. Oh, and wine. Because prohibition used to be a thing. "Clink!"

16. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

:confused::confused::confused:

17. jetophile

Ours is 50% GSD, 25% Bluetick Coonhound, 12.5% Boxer, and 12.5% Heinz 57. I could've sworn he was mostly Doberman (he looks so Dobie, it's hilarious), but I got a doggie DNA test and Maury Povich said you're not the father. Translation on the other 12.5%: Pitbull.

The extreme guardiness is ALL GSD, though, no question.

papapump likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That's not true about shotguns and it is a common falsehood that people seem to believe. It quite easy to miss if you are panicked and have little experience shooting it.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This my Remington 870 Express. [​IMG]

Petrozza, REVISion and patleahy like this.
  20. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

nice, Bickety.