Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by bicketybam, Mar 8, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are there any firearms owners here? I've had a fascination with them ever since I was a teen (a friend's father was a Korean War vet and had a beautiful collection.) I love target shooting but I am not a hunter (I have no issues with hunting though). I grew up in Putnam County, NY and my parents were extremely anti-gun. I wasn't even allowed to own a BB gun but by the age of 15 I convinced my parents to buy me a compound bow (Bear Kodiak Magnum).

In the early 90's I got into military style weapons. It started with the Russian SKS and I went on to buy a MAK-90, a Springfield M1 Garand and a Colt AR-15 varmint rifle. I used to drive from Westchester to Calverton in LI where there was an outdoor range. The range eventually closed and I ended up selling all my rifles.

In the late 90's I looked into getting my handgun permit. For anyone that doesn't know, it's not an easy thing to obtain in NYS. I was living in Dutchess County at the time and the Sheriff was supposedly "gun friendly." It was known that if you were issued a handgun permit it would be full carry. I started the application process and even went as far as obtaining all the letters of dispotions for my arrests when I was a teenager/young adult (DWI, urinating in public, fireworks possession, fake ID). But the process was so involved that I just gave up (which is their goal, lol).

5 years ago I moved to CT and decided to revisit the issue. The application process was nowhere near as arduous as NY and it required that I take a handgun course. I had no problem with that requirement and I learned a lot. The application process took about 3 months and I was issued a CT CCL (NY can take as long as a year).

I now own several handguns and I am a member at a local indoor shooting range. I have a Glock 19, Glock 48, Colt 1911, Sig Sauer P229 Equinox and a Colt 357 Python. I also purchased a Marlin 1894 lever action rifle (chambered in .357 magnum.) I don't carry all the time and the main reason is I haven't found an IWB holster that isn't uncomfortable. But I go to the range regularly and I love to target shoot. And I definitely feel safer knowing I have a firearm at the ready while in my home. If it matters I do not have any children living with me.

Anyway, if you are an avid shooter I'd love to hear what you own. Being that this is a Jets forum I would assume we have a lot of NYC/LI residents and handgun permits are like hens teeth. So I don't expect a huge response But if you own some and enjoy shooting please share!

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I had an sks and a saiga 308 when I was younger. Also used to go to the range in Calverton. Was never really an enthusiast. So I sold them back to the store after a year or so having them. Now have 2 handguns, haven’t touched them in years . When I first moved here and got them I would go to the range once a week or so. Last time I went, maybe 8-9 years ago, the next day some guy shot and killed himself in the booth(purposely). That was the end of that for me.

3. bicketybam

That really sucks that made you stop shooting....unless you really didn't enjoy it.

I've been at the range with guys acting recklessly. I leave immediately.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  4. typeOnegative13NY

I do enjoy it. Didn’t care for that range, as it was indoors and very close quarters.
    We have some out door ones I’d like to try... just haven’t gotten around to it. My wife wants to learn, maybe soon that’ll get me to go.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. bicketybam

My fiancee keeps saying she wants to get her CCL. But when push comes to shove she always has an excuse not to do it. I wish she would because it would be nice to have another thing to do together. Handgun shooting isn't easy. I laugh when I watch tv shows or movies with guys running and gunning, hitting everything in sight. Total bullshit.

FJF and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah, shooting sideways etc. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cman65 likes this.
  7. bicketybam

It's more of them waving their firemen around and pointing it places other than down range. My range doesn't do the best of job of policing that shit. I went to a much nicer (but smaller) range in East Hartford that had the range officer sitting right behind you. No fucking around there.

8. Cman65

Cman65 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have an SW .40cal for the house. Been thinking about a .308 or a 30.06 for overall home protection but I don't live anyplace where I would need that kind of firepower. Being a vet, I know how to maintain and secure my weaponry. I have no issue with folks owning firearms. It just a shame that in 2021, we have to think in these terms of me or them. I do have an issue with the Brady Bill as only has provisions for lifetime bans on gun ownership. This forces people to find other means to protect themselves and their families. Pushes law abiding people to the darkside of the law just so they can protect their lives and property.

FJF and bicketybam like this.
  9. bicketybam

My Sig Sauer can shoot either .40 cal or with a quick barrel change it can shoot 357 Sig. I like the 357 Sig better. It's a real nice snappy round. No way I can carry the Sig though. It's super thick. I don't shoot it as well as my other handguns either. Even though my glocks are my least favorite, I shoot them the best and that's really what matters when it comes to choosing a carry piece.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

When I was a kid, about 12, my fathers friend and a colt 44 straight out of the spaghetti westerns. So I say hey let me do a quick draw on a target? . He says yea no problem. I strap in the gun belt, slung low like I’ve seen in every gunslinger movie ever made, target 15 yards in fro t of me. The man says draw I grab the gun jerked it hp like the movies but the gun didn’t move, way heavier than I expected, so now I grip and really tug pulling the gun clear barely get it level squeeze and my arm goes flying back. No where close to hitting the target, shoulder felt like it was out of socket, dad and buddy laughing their asses off. He looks at me and says, tv is bullshit and took the gun away.

bicketybam likes this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! 2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Honest question to gun owners. :)

I never owned a gun in my life. I don't have a gun in my house currently. Am I in minority or are there people folks like me who don't have any guns in their homes?

12. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

German Shepherd, Ringo on this end. Door is not locked anymore.

Cman65 likes this.
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Over 57% of households do not own a gun so you are not in the minority. In Jersey the percentage without is much higher, over 85% don't have a gun in the home, tied with MA at the lowest rate of ownership. Of course these are based upon surveys so some people may not be truthful or legal which would change the numbers. Saw another report that put gun ownership at only 30%.

Brook! likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In 2017 about 30% of Americans owned guns; that number may have risen slightly since the survey was taken due to fear created by the unrest of 2020 and the Covid pandemic. Gun ownership varies widely between urban and country dwellers. People who own guns like to talk about their guns, while those who don't have guns don't talk about not having them very much at all, kind of like guys who fish talk about fishing and guys who don't fish don't talk about not fishing.

The demographics of gun ownership in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Brook! likes this.
  15. bicketybam

You are definitely not in the minority, especially in this neckn of the woods.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Take a look at Tier 1 holsters if you haven't already.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I have 3 shotguns, 2 rifles and 2 handguns. But my wife only knows about the shotguns. The government only knows about the handguns. :)

One of my rifles is freakin sweet. It is a bolt action 30.06 that was made for WWII when they cranked them of factories in the early stages. I got it from my now deceased uncle who told me back in the 50s and 60s you could get those everywhere for really cheap. I like to think it was used to fight Nazis but I dont think it ever saw action. It is so accurate but heavy as hell

FJF likes this.
  18. bicketybam

I used to own an M16 Garand that was way heavier than I thought it was going to be. And it did a number in my shoulder.

19. Cman65

Cman65 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd love to get my hands on a M14. early Vietnsm era.

20. bicketybam

Back in the 90's you could get them no problem. I'm not sure what it's like now.

That was definitely the wrong weapon for Vietnam. I couldn't even imagine what it was like at full auto. They made the right choice with replacing it with the M16.

Cman65 likes this.