Fire sale?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Sep 27, 2021.

1. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Obviously we have one of the worst rosters if not the worse roster in the NFL. Need a huge talent upgrade almost everywhere.

Some names come to mind: Moseley, Maye, Mims, Crowder, Quinnen (not a fan of this move but if we can get 2# one picks would think about it).

We don't have much chance against the titans so if we get to 0-4 all things need to be on the table.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think we'll start stockpiling picks if there are minimal positives from the next few games and we can continue the 'rebuild' illusion. Half the players you mention don't have any trade value or have untradeable contracts - we are slim on assets.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We also have the youngest roster in the NFL.

A fire sale is absolutely insane lol

You don't get rid of guys like Quinnen Williams. Don't forget we have an insane amount of draft picks next year and a shit ton of cap space. There's a lot that can be added in a year

papapump, FJF, NYJFOREVER and 5 others like this.
  4. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people keep bagging on Q. He had 1.5 sacks yesterday and he has to learn a new defensive scheme. He's a bright spot on the team. He's a keeper.

amuck57, papapump, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  5. Falco21

papapump, FJF, Jets81 and 7 others like this.
  6. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

You must have selective reading. I said I am not a fan of trading Quinnen

7. Falco21

"but if we can get 2# one picks would think about it"

Selective reading

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm cool with trading Cole, Crowder, Berrios, and Smith. With Elijah Moore out with a concussion, that would leave the Jets with only Corey Davis at WR. Then the coaching staff would really have to consider activating Denzel Mims. I'd say he would have a 50/50 chance to play if that happened.

FJF, Jets79, HomeoftheJets and 2 others like this.
  9. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I feel like the mindset is always to trade guys away and accumulate draft picks, feels like people just want to kick the can down the road and hope with one draft the franchise magically turns around. We need what good players we have, especially when the whole point right now is to develop the young QB.

Right now Sam Darnold is 3-0 and everyone is talking about what he is capable of when he has a competent roster, so why are we looking to screw Wilson over in the same way? Strip the roster of all talent and let the guy fail for 3 years only to send him off to find more success on another team and restart the cycle with another 1st round QB? I'm not on board, I hope we re-sign Maye, not trade him.

Ralebird, FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The rest could be traded and I wouldn't get upset, but would go ballistic if Quinnen and/or Mims are traded. Quinnen and Mims should be a huge part of our future. There's no way I'd trade Quinnen or Mims.

I wouldn't trade Maye unless I thought there was no chance of signing him long term and got a great offer for him.

Due to his contract, I don't think anyone would be interested in acquiring Mosely, and I wouldn't trade him because he's the only reliable LB we have atm, but guess I would if someone made the right offer. We're not tight against the cap, and what's the point of clearing his cap space when it's not needed? I wouldn't want to pay him to play for another team, either.

Crowder's not healthy, so I doubt anyone is trading for him, and Moore is hurt too. That would cut too deeply into our WR depth. That would leave only Berrios and Smith at slot WR. Crowder has reliable hands. Zach needs him on the field.

What's the point in trading away talent, especially young talent, when you just have to turn around and replace them, and you may not even get a player that good in return? Quinnen is a huge part of our DL and that's one of the few positives/strengths we have. No one's gonna give us two #1 picks for him.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Uh, no.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'd have to say no to a fire sale. One of the knocks on the Jets is that they don't keep their own talent in the building. Getting rid of a guy like Quinnen Williams just feeds into that narrative.

Now, if a contender comes to us with an offer for someone like Crowder, then fine, but the idea of shipping off all of these players that actually have some talent in order to stockpile future picks is not the right way to go. I'd rather trade high draft capital to acquire more draft capital, and trade a player here or there (i.e. those that are on the older side who can help a contender down the stretch) for draft capital rather than trading pieces that can actually help us in the rebuild for unproven players that will come via the draft capital that those trades would bring in.

papapump likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we already have the youngest roster, top 3 in cap space next season, and extra picks in rounds 1 and 2. Nobody is gonna trade for crowder. hes a FA after this year and hasn't played a down due to a grion injury. No way would I trade Q for anything short of a jamaal adams package. Maye is tradeable if we don't plan to resign him but honestly we should keep him.

Jets81 and Jets79 like this.
  14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets have so few quality veteran players they need to keep these guys on the roster to try and help the young guys.

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

So lets trade away the few players we have with talent for draft picks? A organization who is notorious for drafting shit lol

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

First, we have painfully few tradable assets
    Second, we have been great at the “tear down” part of the rebuild. At some point, you actually have to start the “rebuild” part of the rebuild…

I wouldn’t trade Q and I wouldn’t trade Crowder either…seems like he’s the only receiver we have that will actually catch the fucking ball

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should deal Mosely if we can get a solid pick for him, but guys - teams don't really trade assets in the NFL. This isn't the NBA or MLB where teams blow their rosters up and turn over 4-5 guys for picks. At most we can maybe get a late round pick for like Crowder.

It's very hard for the team making the trade for the player to get a lot of value that moves the needle for them because he doesn't have training camp to get acclimated to the team and plays and what not.

18. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Getting rid of our best players is not the solution to building a better roster. These guys are quality NFL players: M. Carter- Davis- Crowder- Cole- Mims- Moore- Vera Tucker- Becton- Moses-JFM- C. Lawson- Fatukasi- Rankins- Q. Williams- J. Davis- Mosley- Hall-Maye... and there are other young guys who can still prove themselves roster worthy etc.

I am of the opinion that the Jets have has POOR assistant coaches and play calling coordinators under every past head coach since Rex. Coaching(and not necessarily the head coach) is the problem. I was a big believer in GM Douglas, but I'm getting a little concerned about him, or his scouting(another weak area for Jets the past decade +) department.

Here are guys.. young guys.. still in the NFL and doing well enough to be on 53 man rosters, THAT WERE FORMER JETS, but we let them go:
    WR- Dortch at AZ
    WR- Robby A- Car
    QB- Darnold- Car
    LB- Luvu- Car
    S- Juston Burris- Car.. remember him. CB that we didn't have the foresight to convert to Safety, but Carolina did.
    LB- Basham- Dal
    QB- Teddy B- Den... never got a fair shot here, see Darnold
    G- Dozier- Min.. still kicking, but Jets couldn't wait to get him gone.
    LB- Demario Davis- NO- pro bowler
    DE- Leonard Williams- NYG- career year after we traded him
    G/C- Dakoda Shepley- Sea.. who you say?? UDFA prospect from Canada couple years back. Now backup G/C for Sea and pushing for starting time.
    CB- B. Austin- Sea. Can't give up on a guy that young for a bunch of unproven CB's.
    S- J. Adams- to me he was overrated and a mental basket case who didn't want to be here. I approved of trading him
    TE- A. Firkser- Ten- who you say?? UDFA prospect few years back by jets. Now he's better than anything we currently have.

These guys didn't suck. They just had bad coaching here.

Now, onto OUR failures of recent years. I will only go to round 5 of the draft, as it's not fair to expect starters after that round.
    2015- 3- L. Mauldin
    2016- 1- D. Lee 2- The Hack 4- J. Burris... how did we give up on him???
    2017- 3- Ardarius Stewart 4- Chad Hansen 5- J. Leggett 5- D. Donahue
    2018- 3- Shepherd 4- Herndon
    2019- 3- Polite 3- Edoga 4- Wesco
    2020- 2- Mims(how can coaches give up on him already, disgraceful by them) 3- A. Davis 3- Zuniga 4- Perine 4- Morgan 4- C. Clark

Notice the big year.. 2020.. joe douglas. As I said.. I have growing concerns.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm all for all of these criticism but Greg Dortch has four career punt returns all in 2019 dude. The rest looks pretty accurate.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

No, keep the few talented players we have. Develop the drafted players like, Moore, Carter, VT, Wilson, Mims.

Next years draft don’t trade back, draft the most skilled player on board and add more talent.

NCJetsfan likes this.