Fire Now or January?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that any chance for redemption for the existing hierarchy is gone for good. It's been too bad for too long and not getting any better - Douglas and Saleh are dead men walking; you might as well add Hackett to the group. In general a case can be made for making changes now and one can be made for waiting until the season is over.

The most compelling reason to make the change now is to send the strongest message possible that the team will no longer be complacent in accepting inferior production from anyone in the organization.

In the case of the Jets the strongest reason for waiting for the post season may be that there's no one in the building who could competently appoint interim replacements even though there may be people on the staff who are qualified to step in.

While I don't think any of us know enough about the inner workings of the team to identify those inside who may have been dissenting voices, those are the people who I would look to for the near term. There is a guy in the position of Senior Director, Football Administration named David Socie who is a lawyer, worked on contracts, the salary cap and the CBA and has been involved with the NFL for over thirty years including time as an outside attorney and nine years in the league office dealing with things like the NFL Management Council - he should know who carries the power in the entire league and I would certainly want to talk to him if I was the owner of the business. That's not to say that he isn't just another sycophant who went along with whatever the boss wanted, but I'd want to find out, even if just for picking his brain.

On field, I don't see any candidates to take over the head coach or OC positions but here too, I'd like to find somebody on staff who has objected to the status quo. Whoever's name got written on masking tape on the door of the HC office would only be here for a month anyway.

The important thing though is you send that very strong message that the vision and expectations have changed and the players can decide for themselves where they want to be and how they want to get their own message across to those who will be driving the bus in the spring.

papapump, Borat, dawinner127 and 2 others like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Ron Middleton as Interim HC has a nice ring to it.

kevda5n9ne and dawinner127 like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The sooner the better.

papapump and REVISion like this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Never.

Being retained as the coaching staff of the New York Jets is a far, far, far harsher punishment than being fired.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How can they lose 6 in a row to close out 2022, then lose 5 in a row (and counting) in 2023 and keep their jobs?

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Why do you think they are going anywhere if AR is the QB for next year? If AR all of a sudden retires then maybe they will clean house. Not going to happen as long as king Aaron wants them to be there.

9. Ralebird

Why? How does it matter what Rodgers wants? He's free to stay or go either way. You don't really think Aaron Rodgers is taking this team to the promised land, do you?

papapump, KY Jets Fan and Flyboy like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I think his point is that "what Rodgers wants" is important to Woody Johnson

the King Aaron part of his post was facetious and gives that indication

Fiftynine likes this.
  11. Ralebird

I guess I would ask Woody Johnson why it's important to him what Rodgers wants. He made his play, he overpaid in more ways than one and whatever success it brought in peddling tickets will live or die on what the team does on the field. And I'd probably ask Woody if he also really thinks Rodgers is taking the Jets to a Super Bowl?

papapump and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This thing where we never fire anyone during the season is so dumb. These guys are adults making millions per year and they usually keep making the money after they get fired anyway.

papapump, KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  13. Ralebird

Yeah, the world will turn upside down if the Jets make a correction after three or four years. The Raiders fired their GM, head coach and offensive coordinator (sound familiar?) a month ago and are at .500 since. When's the last time the Jets record was even?

REVISion likes this.
  14. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Woody isn't going to fire anyone - this clown is gonna run it back as is! We will never be able to keep any of the talent on this defense when their contracts are up, and G Wilson is as sure as gone as soon as his contract is up as well... this franchise is literally a joke.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think he might. More so than any other QB we can get short term. At the very least it probably makes sense to give it a shot by actually building a good OL around him and getting a solid back-up QB. Even if we draft a young QB, he might learn a thing or two: late 1st round pick from small school Love sure looks decent after waiting behind Rodgers.

However, one point I want to emphasize, why are we assuming Rodgers wants these losers to come back? Yes, they convinced him to come here, but Rodgers probably realizes that they have done a pretty shit job this season. For Rodgers I think it is about legacy - winning a second SB. I think he would want people around him that are competent at their jobs to achieve that goal. I am not sure he would mandate if JD/Saleh are there too, especially after the team gives up on them and he sees first hand how incompetent they are. I also don't think new HC/GM would mind having Rodgers: good QBs are not easy to come by.

To me getting rid of GM/HC and leaving Rodgers for the next season is what makes the most sense, whether it is now or in Jan is not so critical, as long as it is definitely done by Jan 8. Though if I see it done now I would be happy, since that means it is actually done.

BacktoQueens and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

This would mean a shred of competency coming from the owners sweet, which everyone here knows is not going to happen. Trust fund baby doesn't have a clue...

17. Ralebird

I'm certainly not assuming anything about Rodgers other than he will continue in a manner that he determines regardless of any other person or entity. I really don't believe Rodgers has enough time left to win another Super Bowl - not here, not anywhere. I just saw an article about two candidates for the HC job at the Panthers - I don't think a team can hurt its plans by being out in front of the conversation even if they cannot actually talk to the guys they want, they can still get the word out in public. The Raiders and Panthers are ahead of the game already because no possible candidate has to be concerned about if those positions will actually open up.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Then let's see what happens. I don't think Rodgers is done. I still see at least a good QB year from him in 2024, even if he does not win a SB. One indication is Lazard. The guy is god awful. And he made him look decent somehow just last year. I think Rodgers is an asset still, and can actually attract a good GM/HC better than a team without any QB.

As far as head start, not really. Again, I would not mind getting rid of them now, but it does not matter, as long as it is done by Jan 8th. All of these discussions happen after Jan 8th anyway. Whoever has the best situation will attract best candidates. And honestly with the Jets having a really good defense plus GW, Breece, and Rodgers for short term, and a top 10 pick, it's not a bad situation compared to others.

19. BrowningNagle

"The Jets had four false starts on offense — one each from Carter Warren, Joe Tippmann, Mekhi Becton and Jeremy Ruckert."

how is this still happening in December?

bad coaching.

Acad23, teamgreen and papapump like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

At what point does Rodgers decide that he doesn't want his last year in the NFL to get wrecked by the doofuses running the team and demands that Woody fire them?