Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's absolutely no reason that this team couldn't have done what the Pats did that year Brady got injured in the first half of the first game. Now, granted, they didn't make the playoffs that year, but that was only because it was one of those fluke years where 11-5 didn't get you a wild card. That team got itself off the mat and fought its way into playoff contention over the course of the entire season. These Jets did exactly what you'd expect from a Jets team. They laid down the moment someone didn't hand them the Lombardi Trophy.

So sick of this team. They thought they were handed a ticket to the playoffs the moment Rodgers joined the team. Now they're playing like a bunch of kids on a little league team who have decided they're just not into it anymore.

JohnnyJet, REVISion and RexontheBeach like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Richard and Walt, it's all your fault! Different era, same old pain.

I hate the term "generational talent". How about generational pain. PAIN.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Here’s all you need to know about Douglas (and I do give the asterisk that our asshole owner may be influencing decisions). When Kirk Cousins went down, the Minnesota GM was on the phone as soon as the game was over. He saw the kid in Arizona and saw he could win a game and said what do you want for that kid and may have saved the Vikings season. Why didn’t our GM do the same the second Rodgers went down? It’s a clusterfuck

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Hack was here BEFORE Rodgers. There was no under the table deal or anything. This is purely JD and Saleh hire. And Boyle is a PS guy, Cobb was brought as 5/6th stringer. These are end of the bench guys. Boyle wasn't even on the active roster. If JD did his job, they wouldn't even have to play. I mean we cannot blame Rodgers for not getting Wentz or Dobbs. There is no evidence he stopped JD. I do remember Rodgers lobbying for OBJ and Lazard. JD didn't get OBJ, who appears to be doing OK. JD got Lazard who sucks. I just don't see JD signing Lazard only to appease Rodgers. He didn't sign OBJ for that reason. He signed Lazard because he though Lazard was a good 3d string guy. There is no evidence otherwise. I mean I am sure Rodgers recommended some of these guys for their roles. Rodgers played with Lazard, and Lazard was a decent 2nd stringer with him, so I could see why Rodgers recommended him. He didn't know Lazard looked good only because of Rodgers. This is JD's job to figure these things out. I highly doubt he was forced. Otherwise we would have had to get OBJ too. He also signed Hardman, who was bad and traded away Moore who seems decent.

Blaming Rodgers seems like a conspiracy theory when the most obvious answer - JD - is staring us right in the face. He fucked up EVERY offensive signing aside from Conklin. It has nothing to do with Rodgers.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

OBJ was his friend. He doesn't suck. The only friend who was brought in to play a meaningful role and sucks is Lazard. What I am realizing though is that Rodgers made a lot of scrubs look a lot better than they really are. But a good GM needs to be able to make these determinations. I cannot blame Rodgers for that unless he mandated Lazard, which Rodgers already said wasn't a case, and it does not make sense that is, otherwise OBJ would be here too.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Really, that's his answer for basically every question I hear him asked in press conferences now.

Asking about replacing Hackett, his response was it's a long answer for another day. WTF does that mean other than I don't know.

Borat likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the shit show we are in now, and the only way forward may be to get rid of both JD and Saleh. We can't just get rid of Hack and let Saleh search for a 3d OC. And if we leave Saleh and Hack, imagine if Rodgers gets hurt again next year. Hack can't call the plays. So, the only solution I see to make something out of 2024 is to bring in new GM and new HC, who is one of the currently successful OCs, calling plays. Then that HC, who will call plays for us, can decide if he wants Hack to hold his clipboard like he did for Matt LF to get Rodgers comfortable or get a new one. Same with Ulbrich, he may decide to keep him.

But JD and Saleh I feel need to go at this point. And this may not be fair to Saleh, but it is easier to find a play caller on defense than to get a great offensive mind in a League that is geared towards offense.

8. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Thank God OBJ didn’t come. All the talent in the world, but yes he does suck.

In regards to Rodgers involvement, you have your thoughts, and I have mine. Let’s leave it at that.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And the worse part of it all is that Rodgers is gleaming with excitement that he can be the messiah of the New York Jets despite this clusterfuck.

The only path forward is losing a ton of games. Draft a QB. Let Rodgers play hero next year and then tear it down and hope we hit on a savior.

10. jets_fan

At least the path forward involves the one thing that these bums are good at.

JohnnyJet, mrmajix and Borat like this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Douglas is to blame for this piece of shit he calls a team. He WASTED 1st round picks in 2020 (Becton), 2021 (Z. Wilson), and 2023 (McDonald). And he has greatly, greatly OVERPAID for marginal free agents who shouldn't even be playing but are getting paid a fortune-- e.g. Tomlinson, Uzomah, Lazard, Brown, etc. Those 4 signed for a cumulative $100M. And they all stink!
    Joe Douglas has no eye for talent, can be talked into any amount of money by an agent, and constantly wastes our high picks. Fire him, the sooner the better.

JohnnyJet, papapump, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  12. jets_fan

If there were any justice in the world, Douglas' and Saleh's keycards wouldn't work when they show up to 1 Jets Drive tomorrow.

JohnnyJet, papapump, mrmajix and 2 others like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Still the most asinine pick of the 2023 draft . The jets have needs all over the board, and Douglas takes an edge rusher which was our deepest position. Dumb dip!
    About as smart as his Becton and Zach Wilson first round (waste of a ) pick.
    Oh, and McDonald has made SUCH an impact this year.

JohnnyJet and Borat like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would not give up on Rodgers just yet. JD fucked up badly with all offensive signings except Conklin. But with Rodgers in there, he can actually make Lazard look OK. I know that, because he did it for several years already. We just need to build a good line and get another good WR. These things can be done in one offseason. Rodgers to me is proven, and he is still the best way forward. We can always draft another bust QB when he leaves in a couple of years.

BrooklynJetsFan and tomdeb like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is a fucking mess no doubt, but I think you’re probably right…the fastest or easiest way out of this mess may just be that…let AR play next year, use free agency and the draft to rebuild the entire OL…literally the only guys back should be AVT and I guess Tippman. Keep AVT at guard where he belongs, and then find two tackles between the draft and free agency…would love a guard to replace Tomlinson but if we have to, he can stay if he takes a pay cut. But we need two tackles no question.

Then get a real WR2 and one or two others. Keep Conklin and Ruckert at TE. Jettison Uzomah, Cook, Lazard I guess depends on Rodgers, but he should be no more than WR3 and hopefully WR4.

That’s the fastest path to respectability.

I can see the clean house scorched earth approach too, but if you do that the D likely takes a step back just due to coaching change, and if you don’t nail it with an offensive HC, we’re just looking at the same shit again.

But our OL is terrible. Boyle sucks, but honestly no QB is going to succeed behind this OL. Our tackles were getting beat all fucking day

JohnnyJet, tomdeb and Borat like this.
  16. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Classic sign of a Joe Douglas run team- any sign of adversity, the team collapses. Its Plan A, or season over.

tomdeb and REVISion like this.
  17. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Starting to become that way.

I will say this though, and I say this knowing JD has final roster say. But I really can’t believe that Sallehs opinion isn’t heavily factored into what JD does. Remember Salleh controls the game day roster and save for maybe the Zach example there haven’t been many instances we’ve heard of JD forcing players.

I am curious as to if we’re seeing signs of a potential discord amongst the 2, I’m largely putting the pleading the 5th comment together with the comment he made about Hackett not being able to be demoted tonight. And I know that would be more Rodgers than JD, but I’m getting the feeling, albeit a mild one, that all might not be great with JD and RS

REVISion likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nobody can prove whether there was an under the table deal or not, but I find it incredibly unlikely that we happened to hire Hackett (who nobody in their right mind would hire unless they were trying to get Rodgers) and then happened to sign Rodgers afterward.

19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's not out of context at all. He literally has no answers for anything.

20. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

The best thing is they built a roster from 2010-2014. Went to two super bowls back to back. Tore it down and now have a young playoff off team again. They completed reloaded everything

ouchy likes this.