Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Yea but what is his W-L record...

JohnnyJet and Ralebird like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Very fair assessment! thanks...grade A job

Douglas will pin his hopes on getting rehired based on 2022 ...I wish him luck :(

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and thats fair. i'm sure some like 1 but not the other.

the problem is when you don't have success fans just want to fire everyone instead of understanding there could be someone good in the bunch being let go.
    like our offense sucks for sure. But why should we fire GW and breece? they are obviously good players. those are the players you keep and build around, you don't chuck the whole offense.
    blaming JD for the record is like blaming GW and breece for the offensive failures

4. GasedAndConfused

took him 6 years to hit .500 overall. had a losing record for this 1st 5 years overall. 29-35 in his 1st 4 full years. 10-22 his 1st 2 years. he was also allowed to hire his own coach and have a full offseason year 1 where JD really didn't get to start until 2020 and had a lame duck HC and had to change systems in 2021 with a new staff. the 1 year they suffered some meaningful injuries they went 6-10.

any GM can be made to look bad with numbers since they usually take over bad teams and turning over a roster in the NFL takes time.

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

In my post I didn’t count the 2019. You keep saying “he didn’t really get a start”.

His official year 1 was 2020. He was hired to work with Adam Gase based off of previous relations. Joe Douglas took a 7-9 team and made it a 2-14 embarrassment.

he should have treated the year like he had a 3rd year franchise QB in Sam Darnold (who looked good in 2019)

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who has said "fire GW and breece" or to "chuck the whole offense"?

I'll answer that... no one. It's another strawman that you've leaned on lately.

Joe Douglas is under scrutiny because he's the General Manager.
    He is ultimately responsible for the W/L record. He hired the coaches and signed the players.

4 years in and we can't even play .500 ball.

Who the fuck do you think is responsible?

IDFjet, JohnnyJet, Ralebird and 7 others like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re cherry picking stats though. They went to the SB in his third year. Regardless of what his record was in any combination of his first four years that you want to point out, that buys a mountain of time.

papapump and Acad23 like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm crystal clear right now. I think most of us are.
    Maybe YOU will have more clarity in the offseason after watching the rest of this 2023 disaster unfold.

9. BacktoQueens

Agreed. But it's 5 years in.
    I don't think he should get the 6th year of his contract.

JohnnyJet and JetDan like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

I'd like to know how the bolded statement is anywhere close to being true.

He had one tremendous offseason to his credit, and 3.5 dreadful ones.
    Strategically he never had a clue, his talent evaluation was NOT good, his FA moves awful, and the handling of QB and Oline maybe the worst we've ever had.
    We had the most miserably bad season I can ever remember in 2020, and he has the worst overall record any GM has managed to achieve.

And yet comments like this. Overrated is the perfect description, as there's nothing to back it up outside of the good 2022 offseason.

JohnnyJet and Borat like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You just know Woody will give him an extension at the end of this season... ;)

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Incredible analysis. This off-season looks particularly brutal. We can add Dalvin Cook to the list as a D or F, given the price tag. Also, Duane Brown didn't have the guarantees this year. Btw, he is an F, not D. First year he missed 4 games then played like shit, then comes in this year and is the main reason the for the sack where Rodgers got hurt. Easy F. He could have easily been cut saving 10 mil. But with so many needs on offense we got one B level guy: Tippman. And we lost players, and JD did nothing. These none moves are also an F.

This off-season aside from convincing Rodgers to come here, which was completely negated with poor OLine, he looked incompetent. Even the actual Rodgers trade package, where he gave up a pick swap with 3 days still to go before the draft, was moronic. And remarkably a strong argument can be made that not getting Broderick at #13 it cost us Rodgers. Though according to JD, he actually didn't even want him. So dumb. Then getting Billy Turner and calling it a day at OT. Not getting a proven back-up QB. Not addressing WR or OLine at all before trade deadline when Corey retired and OLine sucked.

Overall, he built half the team and it's been 4 years. We haven't made play-offs. Honestly, by all objective measures he should be fired. The only reason he will not be is because Rodgers gives us a chance to have a really good QB 2024, and he might want him to stay. On merit though JD should be gone and another GM should try to build the OLine and finish the job, which JD seems to be incapable of doing.

JohnnyJet and Brook! like this.
  13. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I didn’t even add Cook to this post. He has been such a non factor it slipped my mind

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The 2022 draft class on its own is an awesome accomplishment and the jury is still out on the 2023 draft class. He has been successful in picking up some great UDFAs and wire waivers. As long as he brings in good players in some manner, he should get credit and overall the talent level is really good in my opinion. Not getting a decent backup for Rodgers was and is a huge screwup though. Also, he's done nothing to improve the WR corps since Corey Davis left.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He has dumped MANY losers, but keeping ZW as the backup was a huge mistake in my opinion.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

hindsight is 20/20, because many were on board for Zach to learn under Aaron for as long as Aaron was here, things happened and here we are.

17. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Seeing it laid out like that looks bad.
    Wins/losses aside, would love to see a player by player breakdown of one of the more successful GMs.
    Say, a team like the Chiefs. Do they hit on the majority of their picks, FA signings?
    I'm not that deep in the weeds of all teams moves. But interesting topic for sure.

18. GasedAndConfused

I'm using it as an example because chucking out the whole CS/FO is like chucking out the whole offense instead of going well we have 1 or 2 good people we should keep.
    JD is responsible for putting together a roster the coaching staff likes and that has talent. using picks, trades, and FA and working the cap.
    on paper when healthy the roster is good. how many people here said even last year "if we even had average QB play we'd be a playoff team" thats the sign of a good roster. he went and got that QB in the offseason too.
    It's not like he built a roster with no talent. that 2019 roster was putrid on both sides of the ball.

19. GasedAndConfused

bingo and thats why stats and using W/L alone doesn't work well. that was the whole point.
    he also had healthy teams. the year after the SB when he got hit with injuries he went 6-10 and people forgave it because they understood injuries were the reason. IDK why our fans can't understand that

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I mean it's all academic here. I don't think anybody of real importance gets fired. Maybe the OL coach gets sacrificed as a token scapegoat, but the whole organization is begging #8 to lead them from the wilderness.